Why no Mac Software?

Only slightly on-topic, but I couldn't resist it! :D

Sky One aired the new Simpsons epsiode "MyPods and Boomsticks" last night.
Best episode I've seen in a long time.

That Steve Mobs is the Devil Incarnate I tell you. :hehe:

Not an episode for Mac users.:hehe::hehe:

Smiley.

Fastest Mac video card out is a 3870 512mb...and it's something like $400.

Mac hardware is overpriced, especially on Mac Pros. If you can afford it, go ahead, but I can still build as fast of a machine(for everyday use) for $500 with about the same Trainz capability.

EDIT: It runs as fast on a 4-core, 10gb RAM Mac Pro as a 3ghz(presumably single core), 2gb RAM PC? How is that at all good cost-effectiveness?!

That was meant to be taken with a bit of sarcasm.

At any rate, the bottomline is clear that while Macs are expensive, they clearly have the sickest aesthetics out there. So I will, and hope others do as well, stop adding fuel to the fire otherwise this will become another endless Mac vs PC thread like the countless others out there.

Because it's seriously stupid.

TRS2009 and Parallels 4

Hi
Just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem...

I also have a Mac (...Pro - for video editing etc.) but am a Trainz fan, from the windows days!
I recently downloaded TRS2009 and did manage to get it to run in boot camp, but not entirely successfully. Everything was fine in opengl, until you added a platform with passengers, and everything on the ground went white, until you moved away from the station. DirectX was just painfully slow.

So I am now trying Parallels 4, but despite saying it supports opengl and directx, opengl doesn't work, and just comes up with an error, and directx is again slow. Just wondering if anyone had had any more success?

I'm actually having an occasional dx slowdown myself, and i'm on a PC..... running windows 7 beta.

I found that I could remove the worst slowdowns by disabling compatibility mode in ts2009. Of course also being in the cab helps to not render quite so much :)

Btw slightly OT I know, but is it normal in a steam engine when you run out of coal (in ts2009) for it to become -2000 million (or so) % coal. The wheels to dissapear off the train, the inside of the cab to turn white and yellow and the poor fireman to become a big white outline, or is it a possible graphics corruption :D

Oh and I'm surpirsed none of you mentioned any PROPER operating systems, namely RiscOs :p

Chief :)

Perhaps the fireman likes being a white outline?!!!

I'm glad i'm not the only person it's slow for under directx... i might have to stick to using openGL in boot camp, and just put up with the white floor. it's only when i'm looking at a passenger enabled station. not sure what you mean by compatibility mode, perhaps it's something i could try.

Once you've launched the game, in the top left corner go to Menu>Options.

In the Video settings (at the very bottom) are two check boxes, one is for compatibility mode.

I have noticed however with it off some scenarios don't work too well until you close and open the entire game again (for me at least).

Just so you know, all my video settings are maxed out including 16x. AA (in those same video options) smooth gameplay with compatibility off, jerky framerate with it on :) (mind you I did build this PC for gaming performance).

However, sometimes you do get graphical glitches with steam trains (you start with the - 2 million coal mentioned before and no wheels and a white fireman - and cant move an inch) this could of course be a bug for windows 7 - usually (but not always) exiting the game and restarting solves it.

Chief :)

Last edited:
Today's Macintosh computers are a little better than the older machines, but Apple sacrafices a lot of hardware to make the machines work at a decent speed.

Sorry for going off topic, but I had to clear that up.

You didn't really clear that up, though, because you're wrong, on both counts.

And another thing,if apple users want there mac to run windows programs and run like windows,why not just buy a PC? If I wanted my PC to work like a Mac wouldn't I just buy a Mac?

Personally I use a Mac to get AWAY from Windows.

As far as Trainz on a Mac goes, the assumption seems to be that producing it would immediately bring in large numbers of new sales. But given the Mac's limited, albeit growing, market share, and bearing in mind that not every Mac user will buy Trainz, I suspect doing so would be a huge waste of money, both in developing it and then going on to maintain two separate and very different versions.

Parallels 4

I have finally got it working ok in Parallels 4 with DirectX settings. I haven't changed anything, just kept it on DirectX and it seems to be working ok. Has anyone got it to work with OpenGL?

I now have a version of TS09 that will allow me to import content. Had to use Bootcamp to get it mind. :)

Mmmm, quad core.

I was just thinking about getting TRS09 and trying it out on my mac pro.
If it runs well, that would be great.

I purchased every version of Trainz, Auran released.
About 6 months ago I switched to Mac because I'm sick and tired working with windows.
So a native Mac version would be nice.

Where do I start

I love Mac and I love Trainz and since Auran was not going to anytime soon offer a Mac version, I did what I had to do to get what I wanted. I bought an Intel-based Mac, installed Boot Camp, downloaded the demo of Trainz to see how it would play. It performed flawlessly. Now I have both Trainz and a Mac to run it on.

My question is where do I start? There are more Trainz packages than there are Carter's little pills. What is the best bang for the buck? I really want to design layouts not just run the engines. Any advice?

Back