Why no Mac Software?

MagicKen

I got Trainz Railwayz for Christmas and am a Mac User. We have an IBM Machine but I find it a nightmare to use. It also doesn't have a DVD drive.
I can install a DVD on it but am wondering why Auran doesn't offer a Mac OSX compatible version of their simulators? There are over 15 million Mac users globally. Why don't they take advantage of that large and growing number?
If a Mac version is available, I would gladly trade or return my new PC version.
Can anybody tell me if there is a Mac version or one that may be in the works?
Ken :wave:

There was a Mac version announced to be made about 3 or 4 years ago, unfortunately our old mates Auran have killed the idea off.

Too Bad!!

I guess I'll just have to wrestle my way through with the PC.
I really think that a Mac version would certainly be more pleasurable to play with. I also think Aruan would sell a whole lot more games if they looked at developing the Mac end.
Thanks for the note and fast reply.
Ken :'(

Yeah, but it's basically a PC Emulator. Pretty slow too. My OS is 10.4.11 (Tiger) but still can't run a .exe very effectively.

I wish they had Trainz for Mac. Mac beats PC when it comes to graphics and gaming. Plus, its not so easy for me to wreck an Apple. If Auran will ever produce a version, I'll sell my PC :)

You guys are great!

Thanks for such fast replies and interest.
I'm hoping that Aruan will take notice of their considerable Mac shortfall.
I am looking forward to getting the Trainz Railwayz up and running and hope to be chatting with you folks soon.
I'm not so much a power guy as I am a car man. Passenger cars are my interest. As a Canadian, my favourite is the Park Car. Built by Budd in the early 50's, it is the last car on our transcontinental run by VIA Rail. (3 Bedrooms, 2 toilets, a dome, a bar and mini kitchen and club room to party in at the boat tail end of the car. Very Cool Indeed.)
Thanks again.
Hope to talk soon,

Ken :)

I guess we could ask the same question about many fantastic Mac games and programs that aren't available for the PC. BTW, is MSTS available for a Mac?

I will admit Mac has it uses. However if you will notice PCs dominate the market simply because of the sheer numbers of company's that produce them(Dell,Compaq,HP,IBM just to name a few) And the only company that makes Mac? Well that would be apple,and since apple also make most of the Macs components themselves,and make the operating system as well,the market for them would be much smaller because they are doing everything themselves and are simply out numbered by the number of PC companies,and since each PC company doesn't have to make there own operating system thanks to Microsoft for that one. And since the PC market is a lot bigger then the Mac market,why would you want to start at the smaller market? Sure once you get your product greatly presented in the bigger picture,then you should start to wander into the unknown a little bit,who knows it could turn out to be a hit. As for me I will always stay with a PC,the only thing I have from Apple is an ipod:p

Trainz for Mac

Hi Guys,

I would have thought that Auran would have made a Mac version by now. I am a Mac user, I converted in december 2007 after all the problems I kept having with windows. Mac computers are so much better and the graphics are extremely good, and the after service is excellent. There is an Apple store where I live and the store is never empty of people. Although Macs are made only by Apple its suprising how many people are changing to Macs. Come on Auran do a Mac version I am sure the product would sell very well.

Several options for the Mac user:

Boot camp - Intel Macs can be used as a PC, that is run the Windows operating system.

Parallels - the most recent version supports both DirectX and OpenGL.

After recent PC problems myself, I hope to buy an iMac before too long. There is a rumour they will be upgraded in the new year.

Apple's advantage is that they don't have to support a million and one different configurations. The disadvantage is, as already pointed out, the economies of scale are against Apple.

Having said that the Mac TRS06 beta runs happily if slowly in OS 10.5 (but is not under development).

Last edited:
I think the PC users here would all like to see TRS2009 for Windows running properly first before Auran turns their attention to Mac. I guess it's going to be a while before all the bugs are removed so I wouldn't like to hold my breath. I don't think it's got anything to do will Windows loyalty or anything, porting to Mac really means a total rewrite of the program and that would be a massive task. If I recall, Auran called for MAC BETA testers when TRS2006 was released. It would be interesting to see if BETA testing actually took place and just how successful it was.

At $40 a go, I hardly think it would be worth Auran to take on a re-write considering the turmoil the world is going through. Having said that, they do hold things very close to their chests and anything is possivle.

My first and only game on a Mac was Paratrooper in black and white on the first MacIntoshes that were released in the the early 80's. I became addicted but at $5,000 a throw I couldn't afford to get my own machine.

So Tit for Tat... you have Paratrooper and I have Trainz! Aren't we both lucky?

If I recall, Auran called for MAC BETA testers when TRS2006 was released. It would be interesting to see if BETA testing actually took place and just how successful it was.
The answer is yes there was a beta and no you can't know how successful it was (NDA and all that).

As well as Paratrooper, Mac gamers can also have Spore and Call of Duty 4. In addition, I manage to get by in Lord of The Rings Online too. :)

Last edited:
I got Trainz Railwayz for Christmas and am a Mac User. We have an IBM Machine but I find it a nightmare to use. It also doesn't have a DVD drive.
I can install a DVD on it but am wondering why Auran doesn't offer a Mac OSX compatible version of their simulators? There are over 15 million Mac users globally. Why don't they take advantage of that large and growing number?
If a Mac version is available, I would gladly trade or return my new PC version.
Can anybody tell me if there is a Mac version or one that may be in the works?
Ken :wave:
They were going to make a Mac version but they didn't do it in the end. You don't see many games for Macs anyway since they were built purposely for media. Although you could try getting Parallels and running it on there...

Thanks to AmigaCooke's advice in another thread, I'm running TRS2004 on a MacBook Pro 2.16 with 2 GB ram using VMWare Fusion. I'm VERY happy with this set up and it runs surprisingly smooth. Still learning the program but so far it's so much better than boot camp.
Now if I can get MSTS to quit crashing when I exit an activity I'd be all set.
I have Trainz Raiways also but haven't tried it. I prefer 04. Maybe I'll try it in the next few days, But VMWare might be worth a look if you can swing it.

I wish they had Trainz for Mac. Mac beats PC when it comes to graphics and gaming. Plus, its not so easy for me to wreck an Apple. If Auran will ever produce a version, I'll sell my PC :)

Technically the PC and the Mac should be the same for graphics, as long as you have a Mac that you can add a graphics card too. The latest graphics cards that come out always have drivers for the PC, I'm not too sure if there is always a Mac driver for the latest video cards. The drivers for the PC are probably better optimized too.

Also realize that some mac like the mini mac have pretty poor graphic capabilities. Unfortunately on the mini mac you can't change the graphics card.

Technically the PC and the Mac should be the same for graphics, as long as you have a Mac that you can add a graphics card too. The latest graphics cards that come out always have drivers for the PC, I'm not too sure if there is always a Mac driver for the latest video cards. The drivers for the PC are probably better optimized too.

Also realize that some mac like the mini mac have pretty poor graphic capabilities. Unfortunately on the mini mac you can't change the graphics card.

It's not the card .. it's the monitor :) Most PC'ers have 6bit TN screens , cheap to make and cheap to buy .. most people rarely see anything else. Mac cinema displays are 8bit , so are higher quality higher priced monitors for windows ... any 8bit ( coloured calibrated or not ) display will look good.

Sci

im a mac and pc user i ran trainz on my mac but i used bootcamp to run trainz on my mac it was really good actually it ran smooth and everything but i rather use trainz on a pc lol:eek:

Back