Why did we stop using Portals that look like tunnels?

From the prospective of a non-route builder, I always thought that trains spawning from a tunnel looked more prototypical than trains spontaneously appearing on a section of track that just ends with no explanation.

I assume that it is easier to start with the new Portals but is it so much so that no one wants to be bothered with the old ones?

I have replaced some Portals with ones that were supposed to work better but if it involved embedding it in a mountain, I would be at a loss to figure how to do that!

Wild Willy the Wacko

From the prospective of a non-route builder, I always thought that trains spawning from a tunnel looked more prototypical than trains spontaneously appearing on a section of track that just ends with no explanation.

I assume that it is easier to start with the new Portals but is it so much so that no one wants to be bothered with the old ones?

I have replaced some Portals with ones that were supposed to work better but if it involved embedding it in a mountain, I would be at a loss to figure how to do that!

Wild Willy the Wacko

This Video might help you, and there are other Videos by him to for Trainz

TRAINZ TRS2019 Route Building Part 6 Tunnels & Tracks

https://youtu.be/xB8LeavopKI

Feb 15, 2019 In this video I am presenting a Trainz route building Tutorial on installing Tunnel Portals and Tracks into your Trainz TRS2019 route. This tutorial shows the major types of tunnels and the special tricks to get them integrated into the mountainside including tracks and tunnels. This tutorial can help you work faster and more efficient when developing your own routes, or enhancing other routes you may have. I hope this helps new TRS2019 subscribers as well as those wanting a better understanding of route development in TRS2019 train simulator, including a full demonstration on how choosing the right tunnel portal can help you . . . . This is the sixth episode in a full series of TRS2019 tutorials covering all aspects of Route development with more to some including session building, scenery development, track tools, surveyor skills, signaling systems, product reviews, content manager and more . . . . learn all about Trainz TRS2019 here.

It depends upon the circumstances. If the route runs into hilly terrain or mountainous areas, then the tunnel works. For other places, a flat portal works. I generally use the flat portals and place them off the route on an outside baseboard. I landscape up to the edge and consider that part out of the area. Having an extra baseboard or sometimes two baseboards, allows me to place the portals anywhere including further away from the main part of the route to ensure that the AI consists have a chance to fully emerge before encountering signals and switches.

Back