Which Trainz for a Preschooler?

goatghost

I'm looking to get Trainz for my 4-year-old son (he's big into trains...LOL). I've seen there are several different versions available.

I was going to get TRS 2006 (from Auran) since it has a wide variety of locomotives and the graphics are supposed to be better than 2004.

I briefly considered Trainz Driver (for its simplicity) but, from what I've read, it frequently suggests upgrading, so I figure I might as well get the full-blown version.

I have seen the TRS 2006 DVD. It looks very comprehensive but, from what I've read, it requires the DVD to be in the drive in order to run. I'm trying to make things simple, so if we don't have to have the DVD in the drive I think we'd be much happier.

Finally, I've been reading about Trainz 2009 which is coming out in November. Obviously, this upcoming version seems to be the one to get, due to superior graphics.

I recently bumped up my old Dell Dimension 2400 (2.0GHz) to 2GB RAM and I'm putting in a GeForce 6600 256MB 128-bit PCI video card. I'm just not sure if the machine will be able to take advantage of the better graphics of Trainz 2009.

I know all this sounds kind of crazy, since all it needs to do is have forward, reverse, and a horn...hehehe (I might mess with the more advanced features when my son goes to bed).

Anyway, I guess it's a choice between TRS2006, TRS2006 DVD (Focus), or waiting a month for TRS2009.

Any thoughts or comments are welcome. :)

Regards from Las Vegas...
- Tom

I'd agree with you, get 06. But, before you run it, go ahead and download the SP1 patch (unless it comes with SP1 nowadays? I dunno, I preordered mine. ;) ). I have the DVD version (as opposed to the umpteen discs), and I can run it fine without the DVD in my compy.\

Hope that helps! :wave:

Hi Dad,

Are you entirely sure you are getting this for your toddler son? Sounds a lot like the Lionel train set my dad gave me for Christmas when I was a year old. :D

Still, if it were me, I would go with TRS06 and not wait for 09. There will be bugs in 09 that will take months to iron out, and you will not want to miss the moment. I think anything you do with 06 will easily back into 09 when it is perfected. At the same time, and it's obviously none of my business, I would make sure a budding train nut had a Fisher-Price or other physical train set he could hold, touch, throw, crash, or whatever. At 4 boys learn through all their senses and a computer screen is so cerebral he might not make a connection. That's what I did with my grandson who is about your son's age, and he at age four can now tell me more about the BNSF big choo-choo that runs a quarter mile from his house than I know.

Whatever you do, have fun together. It's all about fun.

Bernie :wave:

i have the DVD version of '06, and i would recommend it to you, it should come with SP1 already, it's what i started out with, and it's good for starting out with the basics, i found. It does need the disk in the drive, but i find that it's not a problem (i sometimes just leave it in)

also, if you're going to be using it, there's a huge amount of additional content for 2006 :p

I would suggest that you go to www.walmart.com and do a search for trainz.

They have Trainz Railwayz with includes TC3 and TRS2006 on DVD. It has SP1 already installed and you don't need the DVD in the machine to play the sim.

Wow...thanks for all the replies!!! :)

My son has probably over 20 toy locomotives...some steam, some diesel. Every night, he needs to bring a few into his bed so he can fall asleep with them...lol He doesn't go anywhere without a few train engines with him. This has been the case for over a year. And, he doesn't like "Thomas" trains, anymore (or any trains with faces on the front...hehe).

Unfortunately, impatience got the better of me and I went ahead (before reading some of the later follow up posts) and ordered TRS2006 on DVD directly from Auran. I didn't think the Trainz Railwayz included TRS2006, but, oh well...lol

The Trainz Railwayz Walmart version includes "Harlem Line Edition and the Metropolis Edition". Are these separate games or are they addons to TRS2006? If they are addons, can they be purchased separately?

Thanks again for all your help!!!

II have seen the TRS 2006 DVD. It looks very comprehensive but, from what I've read, it requires the DVD to be in the drive in order to run. I'm trying to make things simple, so if we don't have to have the DVD in the drive I think we'd be much happier.

the us version does not need to be im the drive,, my version of trs06 is put up, it should install full version on your hardrive...
ct

I've got the US edition TRS2006 DVD--it does NOT require the disk to be in the drive to run. In addition, the copy I have has SP1 preinstalled--a good thing from what I've read.

I'll recommend keeping settings lowish with only a 6600(yeah, only...), perhaps to 1024x768 if you're on a 4:3 format monitor and 1280x800 for a 16:10 widescreen monitor.

Enjoy Trainz! :)

i have the DVD version of '06, and i would recommend it to you, it should come with SP1 already, it's what i started out with, and it's good for starting out with the basics, i found. It does need the disk in the drive, but i find that it's not a problem (i sometimes just leave it in)

also, if you're going to be using it, there's a huge amount of additional content for 2006 :p

As far as I know, the UK edition is the only one that requires the disc to be in the drive. Not much danger of finding that one in Vegas...

Paul

I reccomend the standard 06 version. I am currently running a merged version of Trainz Classics and Trainz 2006 but if you don't want complications then dont bother with merging the two games together. I reccomend 06 because in my point of view it comes with the best built in content. However, if I were in your situation I would be torn on waiting for 2009 or not. I'm definatlyu getting it but if your son really wants tto start playing now and 06 isnt too exspensive then just get him that for him too. Always remember you are gonna have fun with it too :)

Just my opinion

Davis

Crikey GoatGhost, you must really hate your computer. I wouldn't let any 4yo anywhere near mine.

Speak of the Devil. . .

Hi!

I just bought Trainz 2006 DVD ($7 at Target this week, BTW) for my 3-year-old today. I fired it up to the first tutorial (although it took a while to install), and off we went. What a blast! We especially liked the mine, with the dump trucks that go back and forth loading ore.

And no, I don't let my 3-year-old play on the computer by himself. He sits on my lap and we play together. Not quite the same as the 4'x8' HO layout my dad and I had in the basement way back when, but I live in Florida now and there are no basements here. :)

Nice to see the community here. We're looking forward to checking out people's creations.

Tips for enjoyment

Greetings Goatghost(and son)

Having had the delight of demonstrating Trainz software at various events I can add a little .
Young children rapidly gain the basic idea of running both driver and surveyor--the ability to reset after a simulated off the rails event is a plus for those that miscue (or intentionally overspeed etc)
as Long Long shares the amount of great content -in the box as well as on the download station means that the "new" feel to the simulation is maintained.
The ability to interact at so many interest levels means that the base level of -blow the whistle- speed up the train -crash the train - activities can blossom into interactions where - making up a consist by shunting (for instance) is not beyond even the little 'sit on the lap' visitors to dads (or Grandads) computer.

Content--- for those that like Thomas -you can track down most of the bits -including Harold - and invisible track so he can take off ---Sir Topman Hat (aka The Fat controller)-
There is a wooden Trainz set in the magic Download Station -- oak or pine track _as well as Lionel track

On many occasions I have been the appointed (or self appointed) King of the Kids and as a new Grandparent- recognize that this is the Bestest trainzset ever

Warwick H

Last edited:
Back