Where to download new steam locomotives for Trainz 2010

Auran/N3V sell a few good ones. bdaneal's site has a number of freeware ones, and they're excellent. Paulz Trainz sells some nice U.S. and U.K. locos. Finally, Pet_Shop_Boy's SLW, which is closing TODAY, sells lots of Eastern-European steamers. There are a few sites I forgot about, but Obo's Trainz Catalog might have a few things I missed:

http://trainz.banal.net/catalog/catalog.html

How are RRmods and JR steam related. As of now, neither of them has steam. TPR has a few, but only a few.

If by new you mean extra locos to those suppled then in addition to those in the previous post I can recommend these sites:

http://rrmods.com/downloads.shtml

http://www.trainzproroutes.org/tprdownloads/index.php

http://www.jointedrail.com/

they have excellent freeware and payware.

Also check out the Freeware and Payware forums here to see what creators are making available.

Make sure that Firefox uses Trainz 2010 to open the CPL files. Ben's locomotives need a little work to run in T2010 but well worth the effort! Once you get the download working and engines installed many people on this forum will help you getting them running. The forums members helped me a lot ;)

Dave

First, many of the sites referenced by Obo's catalog don't exist anymore. While that doesn't change that your associations are incorrect, keep in mind that it's meant to be a reference, a pointer to something which you can investigate more thoroughly.

That said, the trainz:// protocol is an ingenious method (though not as good as CMP) to allow more-convenient downloading. In Firefox, you set it up to work by going into Tools, then Options, then Applications. See if the Trainz:// protocol hander is there. If so, point it to your copy of Trainz.

Otherwise, create a text file (not a Word doc or RTF document! MS-DOS text!) in notepad:

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\foo]
@="URL:trainz Protocol"
"URL Protocol"=""

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\trainz\shell]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\trainz\shell\open]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\trainz\shell\open\command]
@="\"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Auran\\TS2010\\bin\\contentmanager.exe\" \"%1\""
Save this and remember where you did. Go into Start, click Run, enter "regedit". Under the File menu should be an option to import a .reg file. Navigate this to the reg file and import it. That should be all.

BTW, I assume you also need to be able to open CDP and similar files as well. See here:

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showpost.php?p=891885&postcount=8

Last edited:
Make sure that Firefox uses Trainz 2010 to open the CPL files. Ben's locomotives need a little work to run in T2010 but well worth the effort! Once you get the download working and engines installed many people on this forum will help you getting them running. The forums members helped me a lot ;)

Dave
How do I make Firefox use Trainz 2010 to open the CPL files.

When I download a locomotive from rrmods.com I can't add it to my route on Trainz 2010. When I start the game I click on Rail Yard this gives me a list of all the locomotives in the game. The locomotive that I downloaded appears in the Rail Yard. So why can't I add it to my route. When I'm making a route or adding new locomotives to the route the locomotive that I downloaded doesn't appear in the list of available locomotives

When I download a locomotive from rrmods.com I can't add it to my route on Trainz 2010. When I start the game I click on Rail Yard this gives me a list of all the locomotives in the game. The locomotive that I downloaded appears in the Rail Yard. So why can't I add it to my route. When I'm making a route or adding new locomotives to the route the locomotive that I downloaded doesn't appear in the list of available locomotives

there should be an option that you need to un-check that says display Favorites only I think its in surveyor options..

What loco did you download from rrmods? Post the kuid number.

Bob Weber
I got it to work now. Thanks for your help. I have another problem when I try to download the GP35 Reading & Northern from RRMods.com it says in the Content Manager that there are missing dependencies. Because in the game when I try to add it to my route it is highlighted in red and I can't add it to my route. The kuid number for the GP35 Reading & Northern is <kuid:138423:1100093> also this is a twin pack and the other Reading & Northern GP35 kuid number is <kuid:138423:1100092> I appreciate your help.

Last edited:
PEV Help

I downloaded gp35rdg_pack.cdp from RRMODS and installed in TS2010. The error is it can't read map2 texture. I checked the mesh with Mesh_Text_Viewer and map2 is called out and it's in a diffuse slot. No wrong slots are called out in the mesh file. I checked map2.tga and it is 1024 x 1024 and not compressed. Something else is wrong with this mesh. Mesh Viewer 2 displays it ok. I think this needs help from Peter.

Bob Weber

SteamAmerica welcome to the wild and weird world of Trainz. I know it seems like you will never get the hang of fixing the trains but hang in there. I've been doing it for lees than a year and I can't believe how much I've learned!

Don't be afraid to ask questions and you'll be surprised how helpful the Trainz community is and how fast you'll learn how the fix the trains yourself! One day you'll be helping the newbies ;)

Back