What's the Definitive Maximum Number of Consists?

sterrett

Remember the Withered Arm
Okay, the "Withered Arm" is now reaching huge proportions - from Padstow to Sidmouth Junction with all the tributaries joining in! Only 135 more miles and we'll reach Waterloo, I hope - and then I'll release the almost complete route to Auran on DVD if they want it!

Now, when I started the "Arm", I was only interested in driving along the route. I didn't really care about whether other trains joined in to see the fun or not.

But then, Auran introduced the concept of "Industries", the TRS2004 "Passenger Pack", the portal and a plethora of treats that would have delighted me as a railway modeller a few years ago!

Now, when I reliveried andi06's lovely buses to "Devon General" and "City of Exeter" colours, I was told in the "Content Creator's Forum" that you could only have a maximum of 9 consists in one session.

However, with andi's buses (static) and the wealth of coach rakes (static) in sidings and locos (static) in engine sheds up and down the line, I must have over 80 consists and the game is still not crashing. For safety, I have deleted the drivers of non-operational consists because you can always move a driver if you want to anyway!

Does anyone out there know the definitive answer to the maximum number of consists (static) and the maximum number of consists (operating) that a session can have before it bombs out?

Please tell me if your experience is theoretical or practical!

Thanks

Ian :wave:

Hello Ian
I think you will find that Auran said 9 because that is the number that they have drivers assigned automaticaly when you start a new session. The limit will vary depending on the amount of work your computer has to do to calculate all the various bits of information you have set trainz up to do. The more commands you have, signals, levers, industry etc etc the more strain on the computer.

Hi,

My layout is over 200 baeboards, I have no idea in miles/kilometers, but I have had 20+ consists running around the layout at once, this is done in TRS2006 though. Be interesting to know actually, might sit down later on and do some calculations and see what numbers I come up with.

From memory there was a limit in TRS2004, in TRS2006 this limit was lifted.

I've personally done 20-25, not sure of the exact number--it was for testing only, but framerate was decent.

The original TRS2006 certainly was 9, but I read somewhere on these forums that this was lifted in SP1, and Segy runs 100 on his Crewe layout.

Chris

In the Desktop Era, I could fill the yards in the Toronto 1954 route full of cars and locos, and Trainz didn't crash (but my FPS dropped like a stone whenever I got close to the yards:hehe: :hehe: ). I don't know about actually running more than five consists, since most of my routes never got big enought to run any more than that (and that was once, on the Industrial Wasteland route, and it was really crowded).

Hi
I have 42 dedicated consists + 5 spare drivers and one of my sessions has 32 of them running, I will be adding to this but I do think that like a lot of probs we haqve a very powerful system will overcome most which is what I invested in.
PJ

You must have a serious box to run that layout, but the point is that it is possible.

Not at all - it's an Athlon 1.7 Gb processor with 1Gb RAM and ATI Radeon Graphics card. The Framerate drops when I'm near the stored consist sidings, but apart from that, there's no problem. (TRS2006 takes about 5 mins to load though!)

Personally I don't think its got anything to do with the number of consists, but the total of rolling stock you are using, I can run about 600 wagons and locos in any numbers of consists and combinations, anymore and the puter it really starts to grind

Another observation I have made is that you lose about 1 framerate per 100 rolling stock moving, as oposed to sitting in a yard

CPU Intel 3.0ghz 2meg ram

Vid card doesn't seem to make much diference as I test with FRAPS looking at a blank peice of untextured base board.

Mind u if you had all rolling stock in the one yard there would be a great crunch

Cheers

I just tested with 30 or so engines in the CPR roundhouse, and FPS was 20-25...not bad.

I'm running an Athlon 64 X2, 3gb of DDR2 RAM, and a Radeon X1950PRO at 1440x900 on dual LCDs...I figure framerate would be a slight bit improved if I tried it with a single monitor at lower res.

how many???

good grief and I thought I was doing well having 6 trainz running at once on a 12 baseboard layout. impressive

Thanks for the replies - I'll try to make sure I don't go over the hundred then!

"If you sometimes feel that no one cares whether your alive or dead, just try missing a couple of mortgage payments............":hehe:

Back