what now?

orca48

I have a computer with an AMD Athlon XP2400+ processor.The motherboard I think is an AsusA7N8X-8 motherboard.I have a Nvidia GeForceFX5900XT graphics card.Also I have 1 GB of RAM. I am running Windows ME.My question is....what would you upgrade to get better performance?I am not too computer literate so "kidlike" replies would be appreciated.Thanx

You seem sure on the video card and CPU so I'm trusting in those since you aren't completely positive about your motherboard.

With your system in mind I can't recommend any upgrades to your current system that would give it any significant boost. The only realistic idea would be to either buy a new computer or build one.

Is this your motherboard? http://www.ciao.co.uk/ASUS_A7N8X_X__5344513

If so... currently it seems adding another gig of memory and a new graphics card would help, depending on how much money you have to spend towards an upgrade.

For the graphics card, the board only has an AGP slot, so an Nvidia card that is in the 7000 series would be best (the 8000 series lacks AGP support). Try one of these.

And your memory is DDR SDRAM, so look for one of these sticks. Any of them should work, the board supports all 3 speeds listed to the left there.

Cheers.

Thats interesting.So you're saying that you get better performance having XP versus ME.I heard that XP uses more memory so I have stayed with ME thinking that is the better way to go.Never considered that.

I called around and it turns out XP makes no difference.I was told it just uses up more hard drive space.Also I was told that the hard drive itself could be an item that affects game performance.Any thoughts on this?

I called around and it turns out XP makes no difference.I was told it just uses up more hard drive space.Also I was told that the hard drive itself could be an item that affects game performance.Any thoughts on this?

What's your current hard drive?

I have 2 hard drives.I have windows on one and TRS2004 on the other.The one for windows is 6GB and probably almost 8 years old.The other one is 60GB and about 2 years old.As to the makes and specs for those,I am not sure.Is there somewhere on the computer I can find this out and if so where?

I have a computer with an AMD Athlon XP2400+ processor.The motherboard I think is an AsusA7N8X-8 motherboard.I have a Nvidia GeForceFX5900XT graphics card.Also I have 1 GB of RAM. I am running Windows ME.My question is....what would you upgrade to get better performance?I am not too computer literate so "kidlike" replies would be appreciated.Thanx

ME is a 16 / 32 bit operating system. I always thought the maximum memory it supported was 512mb but I could be wrong.

If you really want to hang onto the computer then something like a HIS Hightech H195PRF512DDAN-R Radeon X1950PRO 512MB 256-bit GDDR3 AGP 4X/8X HDCP Ready Video Card - Retail $200 you may need to up the power supply. I'd move to retail XP and take the memory upto 2/ 2.5 gigs.

Switching the graphics card isn't too difficult, switching the power supply isn't impossible, I suggest Antec 400-500 watts. It might be possible to upgrade your cpu as well.

Cheerio John

Got a new Western Digital 300GB hardrive with Windows XP.It is ALOT faster now.Turns out the hardrive the game was on was corrupt.

I dunno your circumstances financially speaking nor the specs of that mobo. However that video card is (really) old and AGP is obsolete. If I was you I'd not put any more money into it and start saving for a total replacement. Build one- it ain't hard and use your new HD in that.

Back