What I am working on at the moment.

Steamdemon

Pizza Delivery Train
I've been working on a spin off series of Thomas the tank engine. The book is going to be called 'Thomas' Adventures Abroad' The first book I am writing is 'Thomas the Tank Engine's Adventures in Austrailia and America'. I've written the first Chapter.

Thomas the Tank Engine’s adventures in America and Australia

Chapter 1, Arrival at America.

By Calum Price

Thomas is a tank engine, He has six small wheels, a bunker,a funnel, and a round dome. He lives on the island of Sodor with his friends.All of his friends are given numbers. Thomas is Number 1. He is probably a teenager in human years, but we don’t really know when he was built. As well as tank engines, there are tender engines. The oldest of the tender engines is not Gordon, or Emily for that matter, but Edward! Edward is probably 65 years old in human years. Elderly, but still going strong.

Now, one day, Thomas was feeling tired. He had been working very hard and he needed a change in scene. ‘I need a holiday’ He thought as he went to bed. ‘I wish I could go somewhere around the world.’ Well, that wish came true. Sir Topham Hatt came to see Thomas. ‘Thomas!’ he said, ‘Would you like to go on holiday abroad?’ ‘Oh yes please!’ said Thomas, who was happy that his wish came true. The Fat Controller continued ‘There are famous railways in Australia and America. Which one would you like to travel to?’ ‘Can I go to both?’ Thomas asked. The Fat Controller agreed. The next day, Every engine, including the narrow gauge locomotives were at the docks, ready to say goodbyeto Thomas. Percy was sad to see Thomas go. But Edward and Arthur comforted him.‘Don’t worry Percy, He won’t be there for ever! They said. At last the ship had taken Thomas on board. It set sail for America. Thomas arrived safely at the docks. Two engines were there. They were Italian tank engines, with a wheel configuration of 2-8-2T. They introduced themselves. ‘Hello! Welcome to America, Thomas.’ Thomas was surprised! ‘How do you know my name?’ he asked.‘Our drivers have been reading about your adventures!’ They replied. ‘What are your names?’ asked Thomas. ‘I am Marco’ said the first. ‘And I am Polo’ said the second’ ‘We’ve been fitted with Gresley A3 engines!’ Thomas remembered the time when Gordon’s brother, The Flying scotsman visited the island of sodor.They continued ‘We’ve also been given a bigger coal and water capacity, perfect for mixed jobs!’ Just then, Hank arrived. He was surprised! ‘Thomas! I haven’t seen you for a long time. This is a treat!’ he said excitedly. The engines went to the shed. Where they exchanged adventures and mishaps. I would have told you, but that is in the next chapter.

Well, What do you think?

Arrgh, having probems with spacing!

All characters are owned by HiT, Reverend Wilbert Awdry and Me. (I own Marco and Polo)
This book is dedicated to Wilbert Awdry's father, The founder of the Railway Series.

Last edited:
Yeah, Good luck getting it past copyright, enjoy the lawsuits, and HIT will win no matter what you do. Give up on that, and try to do something more worthwhile and productive, with your time.

Personally I don't think that anyone is going to sue anyone over a copyright, in the real world, or in Trainz ... If I re-distribute a CDP, or a offshoot of a copyrighted book ... no one, but nobody, is ever going to come knocking at my door to sieze my PC, or serve me with lawsuit paperwork. Not even the MIB's !

It is time to put all this copyright nonsense to rest ... nothing legal will be done ... unless you are messing with Sony music & video.

If I opened up "My Own" Free DLS, with direct re-distribution of other persons CDP's (Freeware) without their consent, no one is going to be able to do a thing.

I don't know where all this super forum cop/lawyer BS derived from ? But you can do as you want ... and no one is going to do a thing to you, legal wise !

First off the owner will be young, and a pennyless steet lawyer with no real expertise in law, not have the monitary resources, nor have the lawyers at hand, to persue a legal court action ... and no court will care ... nor take action, taking 3 years time, or much longer ! Especially if the legal case is overseas in a separate distant Country.

Keep on with your story ... I like the idea alot, and get great enjoyment from it.

Last edited:
Personally I don't think that anyone is going to sue anyone over a copyright, in the real world, or in Trainz ... If I re-distribute a CDP, or a offshoot of a copyrighted book ... no one, but nobody, is ever going to come knocking at my door to sieze my PC, or serve me with lawsuit paperwork. Not even the MIB's !

It is time to put all this copyright nonsense to rest ... nothing legal will be done ... unless you are messing with Sony music & video.

If I opened up "My Own" Free DLS, with direct re-distribution of other persons CDP's (Freeware) without their consent, no one is going to be able to do a thing.

I don't know where all this super forum cop/lawyer BS derived from ? But you can do as you want ... and no one is going to do a thing to you, legal wise !

First off the owner will be young, and a pennyless steet lawyer with no real expertise in law, not have the monitary resources, nor have the lawyers at hand, to persue a legal court action ... and no court will care ... nor take action, taking 3 years time, or much longer ! Especially if the legal case is overseas in a separate distant Country.

Keep on with your story ... I like the idea alot, and get great enjoyment from it.

Surely you can't be advocating the breaking of any laws. While it's true that most small-time copyright infringements won't be prosecuted, that doesn't make the act any less illegal and that shouldn't be a license to ignore the difference between right and wrong.

Mike

Last edited:
Personally I don't think that anyone is going to sue anyone over a copyright, in the real world, or in Trainz ........ and no one is going to do a thing to you, legal wise !

Heaven forbid someone actually believes in copyright.

and FYI, from HIT " 2011 Gullane (Thomas) Limited. The Thomas name and character and the Thomas & Friends logo are trademarks of Gullane (Thomas) Limited and its affiliates and are registered in many jurisdictions throughout the world." I am positive that if you try to make money off of the Thomas, you will have issues.

Even if no one came after you ... Even if it wasn't against the law ... It's still VERY unoriginal and lame to rip someone off like that.

Last edited:

Much agreed there. If it is free who is going to honestly care if you give it to someone else. What can they possibly sue you for? Lost income? Sorry it is FREE and as such can be transferred among people freely. Half the people on here who claim copyright legally cannot because the item most likely contains another company logo. I.E. a BNSF GP38..Sorry the logo you put on it is copyrighted and you yourself can be sued if you bring it to a court if BNSF catches wind and they happen to have a bug up there arse, that goes for any logo for any company or corporation, if you make a McDonald's structure and put the name on there and the golden arches you can also get slammed if they have a bug up there arse that particular day. It has already been proven by BNSF in the model railroad industry.

Steamdemon, I don't mean to dissuade you from your work, but what has been stated here is in fact true - if you wish to publish this (even if a publisher will even agree to publish it in the first place), then it will almost certainly violate HIT's copyright, as you are making money (in their eyes) off their 'intellectual property'.

HIT seems to be somewhat zealous when it comes to guarding their copyright - for instance I heard a while ago about rail preservation societies actually being sued by HIT for copyright infringement because they dared use the 'Thomas' name for rail events (now preservation societies have to purchase a license from HIT to use the name in such a way). Unfortunately, there isn't a leg you can stand on. It's their copyright and they can control it in any way they like.

However, having said that, if you are happy just writing it for your own (and others) personal enjoyment, without making any money off it, it would actually qualify as what is known as 'fanfiction'.

Although fanfiction is a legal grey area, a lot of copyright owners tolerate it if not actually encourage it (J K Rowling is one such author who approves of non-profit fanfiction of her works), so you shouldn't have any trouble with HIT if you don't make money from it.

Accordingly, here is a very good place to post your story so others can enjoy it: http://www.fanfiction.net/cartoon/Thomas_the_Tank_Engine/ :)

Re fanfiction

Went to wikipedia/fanfiction and read the statement "they are almost never professionally published"

The original poster wants to write a book, which presumably will be published and sold, and therefore he is almost certainly looking at a lawsuit.

But maybe he could work with the copyright owners and say "I have some story ideas could we work together on this?"

Back