What came first...the track or the landscape?

TheFlyingElf

My son Ben and I have only been using Trainz (2004 & 2006) for a few weeks, and we're about to start creating out first layout...we've been playing about with the various parts of surveyor to get familiarised, but would like to ask...

1 - In areas where the landscape and track goes up and down hills, we're not sure, however, whether it's better to lay sections of track, the add the hills and raise the track up, or create the hills then run the track over them?

2 - We can seem to to create smoothly inclining gradients and hills using the height up/down tools, only mountain ranges with loads of peaks and valleys...there must be a tool for this, but we can't find it!

We'd be grateful for some tips on these points.

Thanks

Nige

hi Nige

Welcome to the Wonderful World of Trainz, and such a rewarding and stimulating hobby to you both.

As in reality, the land was there first, so make all your hills, mountains, rivers etc. Then lay the track where it would have been, not too steep, following the terrain. On sloping ground, apply the track and with a combination of adjusting the track height, bringing the ground to meet the track to get acceptable gradients. There is a tool to make a 'plateau' for the track once laid. Also the 'smooth spline height' for the track will make acceptable trackage.

Remember when laying track, lay it in the direction the trainz are to travel, all sections, that way later, signalling and AI will work correctly.

As you make your layout, if some scenery items are not 'built in' to Trainz, then have a look on the DLS, and download some more applicable items for your use.

Enjoy !!

Last edited:
Some people lay track first, raise it to the desired grade, then raise the land to match. I use both ways, depending on the layout I'm trying to make.

:cool: Claude

2 - We can seem to to create smoothly inclining gradients and hills using the height up/down tools, only mountain ranges with loads of peaks and valleys...there must be a tool for this, but we can't find it!

Look for how to use displacement maps in Surveyor. You get a few default ones that can be used to modify an area, you can find more here:
http://www.trainz-online.com/terrain_files.html
Just add those to your /World/Custom/Displacement folder. You can also open these in an image editore and change the blur or brightness to modify them.

i have a problem not directly relating to this but like it, i have 2 tracks crossing over each other and i would like to know how to build an overpass for one of the tracks other than using signals so that only one train uses the crossover at one time how do i do this?

ps how do u put photos in replys?
:confused:

I try to replicate how it would be in the real world, so I build my terrain first, then lay the track. This recreates the problems a real track-laying engineer would face.

In the real world, the track-laying engineer must balance the requirements of rail transport (no sharp curves or steep grades) against his budget. Major transformations of the landscape (cuttings, embankments) are costly, so he must keep these to as much of a minimum as possible while still making it possible for trains to traverse the route. For example, it might be cheaper to lay 20 extra miles of track to go around a mountain range rather than drive straight through it with cuttings, tunnels, viaducts and embankments all over the place. But if a mountain range is long, then there's no other choice.

In this scenario, lay your track to follow the contours of the landscape as much as possible while avoiding sharp turns (buttes and valley heads are particularly problematic here.) If you're crossing a range, find (or create if you're doing a fictional line) a valley that runs in as close to the watershed as possible, and have your track run along the valley walls, gradually rising to the top near the valley head, then along the watershed until you come to another similar valley on the other side, then down along the hillsides again. If along the valley run you encounter a butte (a length of hill that projects from the valley wall into the valley), this is where you start building cuttings and tunnels. Similarly, if you encounter a tributary (a branch valley bearing off from the main valley), this is where you start building embankments and viaducts.

Avoid building cuttings that are very deep, and embankments that are very high, as in the real world these would be prohibitively expensive. As a rule of thumb, if a cutting or embankment would be more than three or four times the height of the train, build a tunnel or viaduct instead. Think in terms of the amount of rock that has be dug out or trucked in and how much this would cost.

Once you've determined the optimal route for your track, smooth your track out so there are no bumps, by using the Spline Height adjustment tool (the button on the top left of the Advanced panel in track-laying mode) - just click the spline vertices with this tool so they turn yellow. Notice that where the track used to run roughly over hills and valleys when the vertices were white, the track now punches straight through the hills, or floats in the air over a valley. Now use the Spline Leveling tool (the button on the top right of the Advanced panel) to smooth the terrain to the track. This will automatically create your cuttings and embankments for you. Again, if as you're doing this you spot a very deep cutting or high embankment, undo the spline leveling (Ctrl-Z), cut out that section of track, and lay a tunnel or viaduct through the broken section.

Finally, some sections of your track will have too-sharp curves or "dog-legs" in S-bends. Use the Insert Vertex tool to break up dog-legs into smaller sections, then straighten the section with the Straighten tool where the dog-leg was to smooth out the curves. Where curves are too sharp, you'll often find the leveled embankment or cutting is wide enough to allow some sideways adjustment. Use the Move Track tool to drag the vertices in, reducing the sharpness of the curves wherever possible.

Here are some pictures to demonstrate the process:

TrainzDemo006.jpg

TrainzDemo007.jpg

TrainzDemo008.jpg

TrainzDemo009.jpg

TrainzDemo010.jpg

TrainzDemo011.jpg

TrainzDemo012.jpg

Here are some examples of my work to illustrate further principles:

TrainzDemo001.jpg

TrainzDemo002.jpg

Hopefully this will give you some ideas about how to build your layout! :)

Back