West Coast Railways Banned Again from UK Rail Network.

I think that as a requirement for the exemption there are supposed to be sufficient stewards to open and close the doors.

I can well remember when I was younger people opening doors before the train had stopped and getting off the train while it was still moving, probably the issue now is more of make it safe for the stupid. As an aside there was a bit on TV (Midlands) tonight about the increase in kids Trespassing and playing on Railway lines and putting objects on the track. So another generation of Stupid is coming along nicely....

Hi Everybody.
I think that as a requirement for the exemption there are supposed to be sufficient stewards to open and close the doors.
I can well remember when I was younger people opening doors before the train had stopped and getting off the train while it was still moving, probably the issue now is more of make it safe for the stupid. .
Clam1952, in regard to the exemptions given to heritage rail operators, I believe you are correct in stating that the condition for the granting of the exemption was that a “steward” would be in attendance at each door whenever a MK1 coach train comes to a stop. However, as the Bath Spa incident demonstrated the above is “at times” not the case.

In the above, doors were opened on coaches not adjacent to platforms and a severe risk developed to the train passengers standing close to those doors. Clearly the risk assessment for that particular operation had not been trained out with the staff, or had not been written.

It then became obvious that no dynamic risk assessment had been written for the event of the train stopping short or overrunning a platform even though that event should have been easily foreseen as happening. In the event “chaos” ensued culminating with the train moving forward along the platform with the doors open, threatening the safety of those boarding or leaving the train where the coaches were aligned alongside the platform.

The Bath Spa incident clearly demonstrates the greater dangers of coaches without central locking and “I believe” that incident investigation is still in the process of being carried out. So it will be interesting to see the outcome.

I regards to stupid people doing stupid things, you are correct clam1952 in stating that we have to make it safe for those people to live. What has changed in the last twenty or so years is that in years previous those people would get hurt in their stupidity and walk away (if possible). These days those people walk away and then make a claim on “whoever”, stating nobody told me I could not do that. They then very often win that pursuing claim.

In the above my company has been contracted to bring in the safety regime for a very large distribution centre opening near Bristol (UK). I have been down to the site today with others and we are estimating from past experience that over eight hundred risk assessments will have to be written for all the operations on the site. Most of those ten page or more assessments will state what is to those of average intelligence is “the bl**dy obvious". However, they have to be written and the staff trained out on them to stop the few stupid people who will undoubtedly gain employment there, act stupidly, get hurt and then wish to run off to a solicitor and make a claim.

The present day claims culture in the UK is costing every one of us citizens a large sum of money every year. Sorry to gripe everyone but it is a very sour subject in my book and clam 1952 "hit the nail right on the head with me". Now back to topic. :D

I agree, I don't think it is beyond the wit of man to adapt toilets in any coach to not dump their contents on the track.
Amigacooke, I could not agree with you more in the above that it must be within the bounds of present day technology to install retention toilets and central door locking on heritage coaches. My personal feeling is that if the Road and Rail Regulator were to inform the Heritage tour operators that the exemption was to be ended in 2020 rather than 2023, then magically a solution to the problem(s) would be forthcoming in the next twelve months.

Who knows, the ORR is turning out to be a very different animal to its two previous counterparts as they have all learned in the UK Road Haulage Industry. Perhaps we will see the same actions and authority forthcoming in the rail industry.

Bill

Last edited:
Back