Video graphics card

Richard_Dodge

Hello to all. Iam considering upgrading my video graphics card. I now have Geforce FX 5200 With 128 MB DDR Memory. I am looking at BFG Ge Force 8500GT Video card(IGB,DCI-Express)
Would this be a good choice? My present card works good but sometimes I have jerkey movements when running Driver. Not all the time though.
Comments good or bad will be appreciated.
Have a good day and thank you.
Richard

Hi,:wave:
The 8500GT is an okay card, but I would not recommend the 1GB version as the GPU (graphics processor) may be too slow to cope with 1GB of information. It may be more cost effective to but a version with less Graphics RAM, such as a 512MB version.

P.S. It's PCI-Express, not DCI-express;)

Hi,
It would be better, however, I would recommend a higher-end 8 series card as they will have slightly better overall performance. I would recommend you look at tom's hardware to get a better idea of what is what.

Just curious, was the 5200 PCI-Express or AGP? Your motherboard must support PCI Express. How about your power supply. You would need more than a 400 watt power supply to handle any of the 8000 series cards.

If both of these concerns are OK, then you should be fine. I put a 7600 GS with 512 in my Trainz box and it runs great.

William

If you are running a FX 5200, you need to make sure that your motherboard has a PCI-E slot on it for the new cards. IIRC, the FX 5200 only came as AGP and PCI(normal PCI).

I would suggest a 8600 GT with 512 of DDR3 memory on it.

One thing to remember with a NVIDIA card, the first number, 8 in a 8600 is the series, the second number is the model. I would not suggest anything below a 6, ie 6600, 7600, 8600 and always try to get at least a GT and not a GS.

Deleted - accidentally repeated what someone else had already said, sorry.

John

Last edited:
Just a note to say that NVIDIA has released some new drivers. I have a 8800 GTS with 640 mb ram and found these drivers to be awesome. I am really impressed with the new performance I've gotten.
I suggest all you GeForce guys go check what's new for you at NVIDIA

Rick

Last edited:
If you are running a FX 5200, you need to make sure that your motherboard has a PCI-E slot on it for the new cards. IIRC, the FX 5200 only came as AGP and PCI(normal PCI).

I would suggest a 8600 GT with 512 of DDR3 memory on it.

One thing to remember with a NVIDIA card, the first number, 8 in a 8600 is the series, the second number is the model. I would not suggest anything below a 6, ie 6600, 7600, 8600 and always try to get at least a GT and not a GS.

Mines terrible, hasn't been upgraded since 2004 and it's from 2001, specs
are:
512 mb of ram
128 mb geforce 5200
40 gb of hd memory (right now 1.34 around there)

pretty sad huh? well this is the family computer and I plan on getting a new one for me, hoping to have a better one than this.

Back