Video Card

lonewood

Hardware Question:
Is it a problem to have on board graphics if all the other specs are good?
That is do you absolutely have to have a dedicated graphics card in order for it to work?

It would help if you posted your system details and also what version of TS you are talking about.

The "official" Auran line is that on board graphics are not supported. But some will probably work although not at good frame rates. If you have a desktop PC (and a reasonable PC power supply) then installing a graphics card should not be a problem and you can get a reasonable one pretty cheaply.

put your comp specs up, processor, graphics, Ram, and what system your running. Personally I'd say a 512mb graphics card as a minimum with 2-3 gig of ram.

I am thinking about a new computer that had between the minimum specs and the reconmended specs for '09.

MINIMUM SPEC
Pentium IV 2.2GHz (or equivalent)
1GB RAM
64MB 3D Graphics Card (NVIDIA GeForce2 or equivalent)
Windows XP Service Pack 3
1024x768 display resolution

RECOMMENDED SPEC
Intel Core 2 Duo (or equivalent)
2GB RAM
256MB 3D Graphics Card (NVIDIA GeForce7 Series or equivalent)
Windows XP Service Pack 3
1024x768 display resolution

let's say for example, something like this Acer:

Processor model Pentium Dual Core T4300
Processor logo Intel Pentium Dual Core
Processor speed (2.1G/1MB/800FSB)
Screen size15.6" WXGA (HD) Wide Screen CrystalBrite (1366 x 768, 8 msec response)
System RAM installed 4GB DDR2-667 (2 x 2GB)
Hard Disk 320GB 5400rpm SATA
Media Device DVD Super Multi (Dual Layer)
Card Reader 5-in-1
Wireless LAN 802.11b/g/N
Bluetooth None
Battery 6 cell standard-capacity battery
Video Graphics Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M
Operating System Vista Home Premium

a lot of laptops around this price bracket have the integrated graphics - have to spend more to get the video card.

Last edited:
I think you might be buying trouble and disappointment with integrated graphics. Hopefully somebody with more knowledge of laptop graphics will be able to give a more detailed answer.

Does your new PC have to be a laptop? A desktop will give a better Trainz experience for the money.

Patrick's Mum here giving a little more background: we work from home and currently have 4 computers in our office. Patrick's is getting pretty old so he's nagging us for an update. For space reasons, it will need to be a laptop but for budget reasons, we're not able to go top of the range.

He got Trains at the end of kindergarten and he'll be starting high school next year - running TRS04 now and really wants to upgrade. The only other job for the computer is homework/internet so upgrading components is for Trainz benefit only !! Obviously Patrick thinks this is a mission-critical issue though :)

So suggestions appreciated for a lower spec laptop that wont break the budget but still run Trainz acceptably. What about the new version just about out - should we wait for this one. Is the new version going to be more demanding?

Cheers Leah

Last edited:
Obviously Patrick thinks this is a mission-critical issue though :)

And it is Leah!

TS2009 and TS2010 should be about the same in term of computer requirements (but "Speedtree" in 2010 is an unknown and as far as I know Auran have not yet published the computer specs for TS2010). TS2010 will have better facilities than TS2009 so would be worth the short wait.

I will have to leave it to someone with more knowledge of laptops and the graphics issue to give you advice on the machine.

Good luck.

The minimum spec quoted might run a simple layout but would be horrendous on a detailed one (stuttering screen).
Recommended spec would cope but only just. The trouble is trainz is very demanding graphics wise, which is where I think you may struggle with a laptop. If your running Vista a minimum 2.5 ram.
Use the search facility at the top of the page and put in 'laptops specs' . Have a look at the results, most have problems but the odd few do use them for trainz, you may get an idea of what kind of laptop you need.
Can you not upgrade the comp you use now or are you getting under the feet?.

Last edited:
I've just had a poke around on the Dell (UK) website - here are a couple of links that might help a bit:

Explanation of Integrated versus dedicated Graphics:

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/l...pn_nb?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs&~lt=popup#tn2

A Laptop that has dedicated graphics:

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/p...s1&~oid=uk~en~20211~laptop_studio_15_n0053503~~

(It's the 512MB ATI Mobility RADEON HD 4570 bit)

Just a final thought. Once you have decided on a machine it may be worth sending emails to the makers/retailers asking them if it will work with Trainz (or video games in general). Also may be worth asking the Auran helpdesk if the machine specs are OK (although I doubt Auran can be very machine specific about this).

Many, probably most of the latest built in video is better than the minimum spec card.

I have run TRS2004 on my daughter's 6 year old HP computer with on main board video and it was OK on simple layouts. TS2009 should run at least as well.

If the Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 4500M is of the best currently available with video only RAM, I say go for it. It will work farely well. You can get a dedicated video card later if you wish. If you may want to upgrade later, you will probably need at least a 500 watt supply.

Thanks for your advice itareus - Patrick's at school just now but he'll be interested to read your advice when he gets home. Cant upgrade his present machine - you would be amazed at how old and low-specced it is (it was second hand when he got it and it's been upgraded, tweaked, repaired until it just isnt worth any more input) so it really has to be a new one. Just cant fit another desktop in I'm afraid.
I wouldnt even be considering this for a normal "shoot me up" video game but Trainz is a great game so I'm happy to try and work something out.

cheers Leah

Thanks for your advice itareus - Patrick's at school just now but he'll be interested to read your advice when he gets home. Cant upgrade his present machine - you would be amazed at how old and low-specced it is (it was second hand when he got it and it's been upgraded, tweaked, repaired until it just isnt worth any more input) so it really has to be a new one. Just cant fit another desktop in I'm afraid.
I wouldnt even be considering this for a normal "shoot me up" video game but Trainz is a great game so I'm happy to try and work something out.

cheers Leah

Trouble with lap tops is they are built to conserve power not run simulators. A desktop with a dedicated video card is much much better. Could you replace an existing desktop? It is possible to copy files across.

Cheerio John

Integrated video

Lonewood

For comparison sake, here is what I have with integrated video (not a laptop):
HP Pavilion Slimline s3270y
4GB Ram
Intel E5200 2.5 GHz CPU
NVIDIA GeForce7100 Integrated
Vista Home Premium 64bit.

You can probably find laptops with similar specs for comparison sake (I’m not telling you to buy it).

So how does Trainz run? Fairly to quite well on most routes at default performance settings, but not well at all on my highly urbanized route with lots of buildings, track, streets, etc. unless I reduce draw distance and other sliders, which reduces the experience as well. Do not make the mistake that I did and buy a Slimline desktop PC (smaller size form factor) because the power supply is inadequate to upgrade the video card and I’ve been unable to find a better power supply that will fit the small case.

If you are considering a laptop, go to some tech forums like anandtech.com and particularly their laptop/notebook/SFF forum: http://forums.anandtech.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23 where laptops for gaming are regularly discussed. What you will learn is that the higher end gaming laptops are expensive, not readily expandable, and can have heat problems. But that said, people use laptops for gaming.

But the recommendation to buy a full-size desktop PC with a separate video card for cost, performance, and expandability reasons is good advice and is what I wish I had done.

Last edited:
Back