Video card quandry

steamboateng

This week I plan to purchase a new new HIS HD3850 IceQ AGP video card. The Radeon HD3850 line is currently touted as the fastest AGP card available.
However, I have reservations. ATI video drivers are notoriously quirky. I have read that the VIA K8T800P + VT8237 chipset (provided on my Abit AV8 mobo) may be the cause of some of this quirkyness. If any of you with a Radeon HD3850 card had issues with performance and drivers please reply. I'd like to get the pro's and con's sorted out before I drop $200+ on this puppy. Would I be better off with NVidia card?

Regards

What CPU do you have?

I know more cost would be involved as you would need a new motherboard but have you thought about going down the PCI express route? It will not only be alot faster but also future proof you hugely, AGP is on it's last legs.

Last edited:
I recognize the limitations of AGP archetecture. However, I'm stuck with this puppy for a while, and am in the middle of upgrading to machine limits. I've already added a new monster cooler for the cpu, 4 gigs of Corsair platinum DDR is due UPS today and a new DVD rewriter is sitting on the workbench awaiting installation. Graphics card is biggest problem to date. I am quite concerned about driver problems with the Radeon HD3850 based card. I know some of you are running AGP versions of this card with AMD processors (mine is Athalon 64 FX-55, 939 pin). What has been your experience?

Back