Very best trains for in cab driving

Griphos

So, I'm still pretty new. I do like driving third person. This sim is basically a model railroad sim in some ways. But there are a few excellent routes, like Coal Country and the Legacy of the BN that sort of beg to be inhabited in a more realistic fashion.

To that end, what are the very best locomotives for driving in cab? The ones with the most realistically modeled interiors? In TS20XX, there are a few that just put the rest to shame. What are the equivalent of those for TANE?

There are several answers to that question, and just as many additional questions.

Do you mean the cabs that are the most realistic in appearance ?
Do you mean the cabs that have the most real prototypical working controls?
Do you mean the cabs that give the best views from the drivers seat?

There are several answers to that question, and just as many additional questions.

Do you mean the cabs that are the most realistic in appearance ?
Do you mean the cabs that have the most real prototypical working controls?
Do you mean the cabs that give the best views from the drivers seat?

Use the Southern Pacific GP9s or SD9s from JR.

I’m not particularly interested in the view from the cab, and so didn’t ask about that. It’s nice to have a good view, but secondary for me. I’d like to think the first two are not mutually exclusive. Wouldn’t most realistic in appearance kind of cover realistic working controls? My priority would be realistic in appearance, though, I suppose.

@pdkoester: why the SP versions? Are they better detailed than the other lines? Are these JR's most realistic and detailed locos?

Last edited:
Try the Spanish 269's, 321's and 333.3 class (The last ones include the STR Script, which allows you to have a realistic driving experience), available at Spain Trainz Rutas.

Good morning Griphos and Welcome to our world of trains. And reading your commentary I can see how you would think or you would feel that the Form and Function would not be mutually exclusive however I feel that the creator of any particular asset has two ideas in mind one would be how good can I make it look the other one is do I care to add function to the beauty of my creation and I think that's where the difference comes in here? is Do U want it look good and have all the controls for it and from what I've gathered it's not easy to put in all the controls.

And it appears the difficulty in adding realistic, and /or prototypical controls in T: ANE environment is prohibitive to a high degree.

I'm not an asset builder, but I surmise this degree of difficulty is demonstrated when I read the threads associated with asset production issues.

I hope you find the qualifications your seeking.

Again welcome aboard here and I think you'll find a wealth of interesting and gainful knowledge.

I would agree that being able to turn off the in cab interior lights, and driving a loaded 15,000 ton coal train downhill on an 11 mile, -1.75% grade, would be challenging ... and if anyone's loco is capable of making a believable look and feel to the cab controls ... let them post here, and post a video

The GP38’s from HP-Trainz have great in cab features. Engine start/stop, controllable lighting, all the bells and whistles.

http://www.hp-trainz.de/index.html

Yes! I'd come across those once before and had forgotten about them. That's what I'm talking about! Those look great, and they seem to allow for pretty prototypical operation from within the cab.

Others like this? I'll try to find some videos of the JR Geeps and SD9s.

EDIT: Found this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4XgASCBOho

Who makes this loco?

Last edited:
I’m not particularly interested in the view from the cab, and so didn’t ask about that. It’s nice to have a good view, but secondary for me. I’d like to think the first two are not mutually exclusive. Wouldn’t most realistic in appearance kind of cover realistic working controls? My priority would be realistic in appearance, though, I suppose.

@pdkoester: why the SP versions? Are they better detailed than the other lines? Are these JR's most realistic and detailed locos?

There was a lot of researched details put into them, that is why I suggested those particular ones.

RRMods makes that.

Thanks. I think I'll buy that one.

@pdkoester: Okay, I took a look and they do look particularly good, but the bold print says they are for Trainz 2012 SP1 (HF4) ONLY. Too bad. I bought the Frisco RS-1 (I love old Alcos), and the externals are very good, but the cab is just okay. That's the only JR loco I've bought independently (besides the ones that come with the routes).

Last edited:
Griphos --

I made this video ages ago in TS12 so it doesn't have the shadows and reflection of T:ANE and the video is not wide screen. It's a locomotive from JointedRail with all glass display panels (watch at 1080p):

I still consider it to be up there with the best cabs available.

Phil

Thanks. I think I'll buy that one.

@pdkoester: Okay, I took a look and they do look particularly good, but the bold print says they are for Trainz 2012 SP1 (HF4) ONLY. Too bad. I bought the Frisco RS-1 (I love old Alcos), and the externals are very good, but the cab is just okay. That's the only JR loco I've bought independently (besides the ones that come with the routes).
I can confirm they do work in the T:ANE build that I am using.

JR-GP9-testing-in-T%3AANE.jpg

JR-SD9-in-T%3AANE.jpg

Last edited:
Many of the Russian and Chinese traction units have good, reasonably up to date looking cabs.

I agree Vern. The workmanship that has gone into those cabs is amazing. But the thing I dislike about many of the Russian cabs is the agony of going through the start up routine to get the locomotive underway.

Back