USA Pics

despite the cloudy conditions , we see a Tidewater Western Railroad steam engine leads a string of empty coal hoppers with tri-light signals protecting both sides of the mainline.

Actually, I think you will find that the locomotive in question is a CA&L heavy pacific. If you take the time to read the description/liscense, you will discover that use of these locomotives outside of the CA&L timeline without my permission is not permitted. I worked very hard on those locomotives and they are meant to be unique, I don't care how you use it on your computer, but I do ask that you keep that private, as I have a very complete account of what happens to all my road's steam locomotives and would like to keep it as I intended without having to circumnavigate your own personal wishes.

-Ben

Last edited:
If you take the time to read the description/liscense, you will discover that use of these locomotives outside of the CA&L timeline without my permission is not permitted. I worked very hard on those locomotives and they are meant to be unique
Welcome to the world of content creation. You'll have a fun time enforcing this one.

I have a very complete account of what happens to all my road's steam locomotives and would like to keep it as I intended without having to circumnavigate your own personal wishes.
Is a reskin really going to ruin your day? Think about how everyone else who's ever been in your shoes feels. This isn't a special case.

As I said, I don't care what you do with it on your own computer. You could reskin it orange for all I care, but I request that you keep it private. I worked hard on them, I wish them to remain as unique as possible. I don't care how many roads you skin it into on your own hard drive. I've seen many other content creators say "No public reskins without permission" and everybody respects those requests. All I ask is the same thing, in order to keep the company history I created as intact as possible. Will it ruin my day, no, but I shure would have a much better day knowing that people enjoy my content without making it impossible to keep track of what has happened to all of my locomotives. Just so you know UP5521, I'm not angry, and in fact I think it's a very nice shot. I just wanted to remind you that I have asked for the 4620 class to remain CA&L locomotives in CA&L ownership unless other permissions are given. I am sorry if I came across as salty or naggy.

-Ben

Last edited:
So...by this logic, shouldn't you be mad at trainman7616 for using your tenders with his WIP Tennessee and Eastern 4-8-4s? I recall you saying nothing, even though he used your tenders "outside the CA&L timeline", as you call it for some god-forsaken reason...

I did not say anything simply because I did not see them, I have also reiterated that I am not "mad" as you put it, only making requests. But at the same time, a coal vanderbuilt tender is slightly less unique than a complete custom pacific. I've already told several people that they can use the tenders if they'd like and have even accounted for it by saying the my roads shops build tenders for other roads to use. As for why I call it a CA&L timeline, it is because it is a timeline I set up form the road I created, the Charleston, Asheville and Louisville.

-Ben

I've seen many other content creators say "No public reskins without permission" and everybody respects those requests.
Ben I'm not trying to attack you or anything with this post, but I think there's a misunderstanding with the 'no public reskins' thing.

All I ask is the same thing, in order to keep the company history I created as intact as possible.
You're not asking the same thing with this- 'no public reskins etc. etc.' is widely regarded as people cannot publicly release their modifications. Trying to enforce this 'nobody post screenshots of what you did to my thing' is going to be difficult. If you cannot handle the possibility that people aren't going to respect that, I recommend re-evaluating what you distribute. You obviously have every right to do what you want with those engines, whether that means keeping them up for download or taking them away so people can't skin them, but recognize that the reality is there is a trivial percentage of the population that wants to run other people's shortline equipment. It's a fake internet train game, I don't think anyone but you or your immediate friends are even going to notice that X fake railroad steam engine was originally Y fake railroad steam engine.

Hey man, it's your content, so you're allowed to do what you want with it. But is one person making an almost random reskin of your one piece of content really that frustrating? I mean, come on, it's a virtual train-simulation game...the more you try to make your railroad "realistic", the more it makes your "copyright" make less and less sense. It's one reskin dude...the guy wants to show off his work, so let him. I know, it's your content, but come on...you're taking this too seriously.

Ben the screenshot was made in an alternate universe. Boom, problem solved :p

Ken's not wrong here. If you want to be that serious, then your argument still fails. It could simply be an "alternate universe" or whatever, which is the exact same thing your CA&L apparently exists in.

Ben, here's the solution. Make a thread, post your individual CA&L story in that thread. Outside of the thread? Let people post all the incorrect CA&L crap they want. But your story is told in that thread. Sound good dude?
(also, where's my suggestion domecar? I liked that thread...)

Maybe I'm just too tired to think clearly. I only wanted to prevent my actual CA&L posts from getting drowned out by other posts using its equipment. I have always intended to post a dedicated thread, but simply don't have the time anymore. I deeply apologize if I have offended anybody.

-Ben

Last edited:
I dont think you offended anyone. And that's the entire point of a personal thread... It's kinda hard to drown out Benjaminw in "Benjaminw's CA&L thread," ya see what Im sayin?

It's kicking a dead horse, but this is a bit of a sticking point for me.
If someone designs equipment for their fictional road to give it character, they should have a say in how it's used. Even private release is not a guaranteed use, since people can and do distribute assets they aren't supposed to. So basically, the only 'safe' option is to keep our work to ourselves - that kind of destroys the point of designing a custom road with a real history. It doesn't matter if you use a CA&L engine an any given route - after all, there is no released CA&L route as yet - but trying to use the design creates problems, since these engines include the foibles of their roads. It's unreasonable to think that most lines would even think of fitting four air pumps, so a custom build or clone is unlikely. Purchasing secondhand stock is more feasible but should involve the same history as the original. I had the same discussion over some WVRR engines which had been "purchased" over 25 years after their retired husks would have been scrapped at the height of a world war. You can see how that messes with continuity.
So I ask: If you all please, use our content in whatever context you may. That's why creators release it to begin with. But especially if you like a fictional locomotive, don't try to incorporate it into your own canon unless you're willing to deal with a bunch of pedants, which creators tend to be. We can't categorically stop you except by pulling our content down, but if you use content as we design it, we will be more open, contented members of the community.
That's all it comes down to...this is a game, it's built to have fun. Enjoy it as you wish, but remember that we're just trying to do the same.

Last edited:
oh I'm sorry I did not know, I had no idea that the steam engine in question is your CA&L engine, until I fully read the license, so I might as well stop posting shots of it because of the trouble caused.

Last edited:
oh I'm sorry I did not know, I had no idea that the steam engine in question is your CA&L engine, until I fully read the license, so I might as well stop posting shots of it because of the trouble caused.

UP5521,

Give me a quick PM when you have a moment sir.

Chris N8PHU

I'm just going to remove the offending steam engine from my system because of this incident.

Hey man, no need for that. Just have fun with it regardless. Us here at The Erecting Hall might or might not be able to do anything for ya. Give us sometime to look around and see what we might be able to come up with. No promises but we will see what we can do

Anyway. My tenders are nearly complete but for now ive been using bens as a stand in.

f25c49d5a3027e230ca1d04d62f0e62b.jpg

f7123dd9ec22412b59a97a9c51049d4c.jpg

Last edited:
Actually, I think you will find that the locomotive in question is a CA&L heavy pacific. If you take the time to read the description/liscense, you will discover that use of these locomotives outside of the CA&L timeline without my permission is not permitted. I worked very hard on those locomotives and they are meant to be unique, I don't care how you use it on your computer, but I do ask that you keep that private, as I have a very complete account of what happens to all my road's steam locomotives and would like to keep it as I intended without having to circumnavigate your own personal wishes.

-Ben

What if . . .
The Chesapeake & Ohio borrowed one because they were considering buying more pacifics to handle their passenger trains and were so impressed by them that they then bought several pacifics based on the CA&L pacifics. They then returned the borrowed pacific back to the CA&L after testing was complete. I chose the C&O because they had Vanderbilt tenders and they have some steep grades in places, hence the extra air compressors.
OR . . .
The Baltimore and Ohio borrowed one because they were considering buying pacifics designed to handle heavy passenger trains going over steep grades, like Sand Patch Grade. Like the C&O, they were impressed emough that they purchased several pacifics based on the CA&L pacifics. After the testing was complete, the B&O returned to the pacific to the CA&L. I picked the B&O for the same reasons as the C&O: Vanderbilt tenders and steep grades in places, which resulted in the addition of the extra air compressors.
What do you think about my version of the CA&L pacifics' history?

Back