Urgent Newbie help

scorpio66uk

Hi All.

I have just purchased trainz 2004.
I would like to be able to just select a train, allocate a driver and set off.
(My boy is 5 and just wants to 'look' around)

Is there a FREE running part of trainz or only scenarios.

Thanks for any advice for a newbie

Regards Chris

Hi All.

I have just purchased trainz 2004.
I would like to be able to just select a train, allocate a driver and set off.
(My boy is 5 and just wants to 'look' around)

Is there a FREE running part of trainz or only scenarios.

Thanks for any advice for a newbie

Regards Chris

Hello Chris.........

You can select any of the default layouts in SURVEYOR, and then SELECT any default train you want. You will need at least one locomotive and then you ae off to the races with an established layout.:wave:

Any other questions, there are great folks heare, and they are always willing to help. Just load TRAINZ, and click on SURVEYOR........

Here is a blow by blow description:

Start Trainz..........
When you see SURVEYOR, click on it........
You will see several layouts. Select one......
That one will load...........
To the RIGHT, the bottom circular thingy is for LOCOMOTIVES and ROLLING STOCK ( boxcars, tankers, coal cars, cabooses, etc )...
Select one that looks like a locomotive, and then any rolling stock.
There is a MOVE button that looks like an 'S' CURVE...Use it to move the rooling stock next to the locomotive. It will automatically attach itself to the locomotive........REMEMBER THE NAME OF THE LOCOMOTIVE........

We need a driver for the locomotive......
At the TOP LEFT of the screen is something called EDIT SESSION RULES...
Click on it, and then click on DRIVER SETUP, and then click on EDIT....

If there are no drivers there, we have to select one. Do that by scrolling down the screen until you see ADD DRIVER.........Click on one.......

To get the driver and the locomotive paired off, the first column to the right of the driver's face is the locomotive column. Click on the locomotive column, and a list of all locomotives on the layout will appear...
Assign your driver to the locomotive that you have chosen by selecting it with the cursor and clicking the GREEN CHECK MARK. Hit the GREEN CHECK MARK one the new screen ( PROPERTIES ).......

Click on the GREEN CHECK MARK on the next screen ( EDIT SESSION )....

You are ready to go........

At the top left, click on SURVEYOR MENU if you want to SAVE this session. Otherwise, click on the character ( QUICK DRIVE ).....

Your engineer is now awaiting your instructions. At the bottom left is a small GREEN ARROW......Click on it, and the default commands are now visable....Click on DRIVE TO.., and he / she will obey !!!!!!!!!

If you require any clarification, help is always available 24 hours a day from the fine members of the forum. WE NEVER CLOSE!!!!!!!:hehe:

Last edited:
Hi Chris Welcome to the world of trainz
Check and be sure you have the latest version of Trainz you will find your version on the start up screen. If necessary you will find a link to the service patches at the top of the Trainz 2004 page
There are also many new routes, locomotives and scenery items available for free from the download station
Edit; Available items from the Download Station example, here is a link to pictures of one of my UK routes http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthread.php?t=16494 all the item you can see here you can download as well as many more

Regards, Bob V

Last edited:
Back