Uograding Graphics Card

MarkNolan

Upgrading Graphics Card

Hi all,

My current system is this:

Intel Core i&-7600 CPU 3.4ghz RAM 7.92gig Nvidia GeForce GTX 750

I am looking to upgrade my graphics card and want some advice as to if I am to do that what vshould I be looking to upgrade to make it worth the effort. TANE works reasonably well although it does struggle abit when there is alot of detail.

Any advice is gratefully appreciated.

Mark

Last edited:
Completely agree with John. The GTX 1060 would be an excellent choice. I would also look at expanding the RAM to 16 Gig if the motherboard will support it.

I doubled the framerates experienced in T:ANE at the same performance settings when I swapped out my Asus (AMD) R9-280X DC2-TOP for a new Asus ROG Strix OC (NVidia) GTX-1070.
If you were to replace your card with the GTX-1070 you could probably expect to TRIPLE or even Quadruple the framerates and vastly increase the perceived smoothness.

Last edited:
I doubled the framerates experienced in T:ANE at the same performance settings when I swapped out my Asus (AMD) R9-280X DC2-TOP for a new Asus ROG Strix OC (NVidia) GTX-1070.
If you were to replace your card with the GTX-1070 you could probably expect to TRIPLE or even Quadruple the framerates and vastly increase the perceived smoothness.

My increase in overall "computing power" from an i5 760 + HD6870 to an i5 4690k + GTX 1060 6Gb has increased my frame rates considerably but the perception of smoothness remains unchanged. I still experience many micro stutters and periodic quite lengthy moments of game freezing.

Playing other games has increased my overall satisfaction with frame rates and smoothness.

I'm no expert but I can only conclude that Trainz programming development, in the most recent iterations of Trainz is fundamentaly flawed in the use of processing power and memory allocation routines.

Rob.

Last edited:
That's the one I've got! It's OK, extremely overclockable, not too noisy and reasonably priced (UK). It should do well alongside your i7 7600.

Having said that, no amount of processing power and vram can overcome lousy - lazy even, software programming (i.e. the Trainz engine)!

Good Luck

Rob.

Last edited:
Hi all,

I got the 1060 6gb which has made a very significant improvement! Definitely alot better and really runs like you would want now. Finallyty I can go to town on detailing my routes!

Thanks for all the advice etc, I would definitely recommend the 1060 if you are upgrading and have the $.

Mark

Fantastic! Congratulations and thanks for the update.
Have to say that I'm thrilled to bits with my new Asus ROG Strix GTX 1070 too...
Makes running T:ANE a visual feast and a pleasure to behold.

Yep, for the first time EVER, I have a computer that is powerful enough to run Trainz at it's capacity. I can throw as many trees into the route as I want and it handles it without fuss. Finally can create first rate routes!

Back