Unstoppable.

Atomic Train anyone? Seriously, it seems like a new version of Atomic Train (which too was a good movie, IMO). But no matter, I still want to see it!

hubba! hubba!

Anything with Denzel Washington in it I will go see. and Oh, it has trains in it too.This is heavy!:p

stopped watching it halfway through because the trailer pretty much shows the whole movie....still plan to go see it though.

The thing about real runaway trains...most accidents take place in several seconds, to several minutes...very few runaways have lasted more than a half hour...so there is no time to call out the helicopters to stop the train...usually by the time the dispatcher gets notified, the train has already derailed...there is no time for evacuation.

But it does sound like a interesting movie

As with Earth disaster movies, an asteroid the size of a school bus reciently cruised between the moon and earth, and scientists saw it only after it had passed...no warning.

If a gigantic solar storm or flare erupted on our sun, at 187 million miles away, we would have not even 7.5 minutes warning.

Really, it's a MOVIE:hehe:
My sister asks all the time how do they do this &that in the Simpsons, and I look at her rediculously and say "IT'S A CARTOON!'
Jamie:hehe:

so, I wonder what the real events that inspired it were?:eek::eek:
The real event was the runaway of CSX 8888 in Ohio in 2004 when the train left the yard too fast for the engineer to get back.Plus,the cut of cars it left with, some has dangerous liquid in the tank cars.

...If a gigantic solar storm or flare erupted on our sun, at 187 million miles away, we would have not even 7.5 minutes warning.
I thought it was 93 million miles. 187 million round trip sounds about right.
We had a couple of days warning this last time. Major flare this past week with material ejected on a collision course with Earth! The Aurora was spectacular, although I had kind of fuzzy radio reception for a while. I feel sorry for anyone relying on GPS at the time.

:cool:Claude

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vN6jX4S8v8

From a local news report:

As a runaway train carrying 47 cars rumbled through Northwest Ohio yesterday, a crisis team at Jacksonville's CSX Transportation was on the phone with Ohio authorities to come up with a plan to bring the train to a stop, even flying members to the scene on a corporate jet.

For reasons not yet clear, both the engineer and the conductor had climbed off the train in a yard near Toledo, leaving no one aboard. Although the locomotive's brake was set, the train rolled out of the yard because the throttle apparently was open enough to overcome the brakes and start the train moving, sources close to a federal investigation said.

The train carried 47 cars. Most of the cars were empty and other cars were loaded with freight, primarily paper and lumber. Two cars contained molten phenol, a non-flammable product used to manufacture dyes, paints, pharmaceuticals and as a general disinfectant. It also contained some fifteen cars of ethanol, a highly flammable liquid.

Back in Jacksonville, the crisis team initially suggested derailing the train on a parallel track in Findlay, a city of about 40,000, but a derailing device failed.

In the end, the CSX crisis team decided to slow the runaway by using two chase locomotives. The train was moving about 25 mph when the chase locomotives caught up with it and coupled with the train to slow it down, Burns said.

Once the runaway train had been slowed to 10 mph, Jon Hosfeld, a CSXT trainmaster from Kenton, Ohio, ran alongside the train until he could board it.

Man, that's a bad situation...

And who's better than the fastest gun in the West?

Cheers,
Joshua

Last edited:
Well, at least it is plausable as to why it is a runaway, unlike things like Atomic train.

There is a coach in Wellsborough that was bashed in by an improperly tied down CF7.

Back