"Unload From" Command ?

boleyd

String of 9 coal cars (loaded).

Deliver coal to loction-1 from the last three cars. Move to loction-2 deliver coal from the next 3 cars and move to next location and deliver coal from the three remaining cars next to the engine.

I assume this would be a normal railroad procedure to avoid three empty coal cars carrying the load for the last six full cars. Problem is, I cannot find a command to execute this sequence. Something like "unload from".

Coal is such a mass product. It is hard to imagine one train delivering it to multiple locations.

I wonder in what real life scenario you have 3 tiny locations for coal so close to each other it gets delivered by the same local train?

Coal is such a mass product. It is hard to imagine one train delivering it to multiple locations.

I wonder in what real life scenario you have 3 tiny locations for coal so close to each other it gets delivered by the same local train?

Company Service trains do that .

Here in Western Pa. there are at least three power plants and many more coal mines in 1950, the era of the route. Pittsburgh was the major steel producer. My house sets atop an abandoned coal mine (Westmoreland Coal Co.).

So, I wondered if it made any sense to have a train deliver coal to more than one customer per trip and not make more trips. Lots of variables. So a long consist where various sets of cars were unloaded at three power plants seemed like an idea (good or bad). However, it does not have any merit, so I will probably follow the traditional periodic individual trains between mines and plants.

Not familiar with that name. Could you explain what that is?

They deliver supplies to the railroad. A carload of ballast, a car load of coal to a bunker, diesel oil, etc. They are pretty common on model railroad layouts.

Could these be trains owned or leased by an end-user solely for their use as delivery and pickup .

... wondered if it made any sense to have a train deliver coal to more than one customer per trip and not make more trips. Lots of variables. So a long consist where various sets of cars were unloaded at three power plants seemed like an idea (good or bad). However, it does not have any merit, so I will probably follow the traditional periodic individual trains between mines and plants.

More likely would be road train that dropped the hoppers at a nearby or intermediate yard, from which they would be distributed by local moves per customer demand.

And there's more driving for you!

:B~)

Back