Unable to launchTrainz in Full Screen mode after transfer to a new laptop

richardm773

Have just completed the transfer of Trainz12 (Build 61388) to a new laptop but when launching the program it only appears in a small window (about 1/3rd of the full screen) at a resolution of 1920 x 1080 which is barely readable.

I have checked the Display Settings in the Options box on the launch menu and have tried various other resolutions down to 1024 x 768 with and without the Full Screen box ticked but, the game window size remains unchanged and the resolution stays at 1920 x 1080.

The laptop has a Windows 8.1 operating system with an Intel i7 processor and an NVidia GeForce GT730M dedicated graphics card but I don't know if the graphics card is causing the problem.

I would be really grateful for some help as the laptop was bought predominantly for use with Trainz.

If the file <TrainzDriveAndDirectory>\Userdata\trainzoptions.txt exists, check the resolution in this file. It should be the same as the resolution set in the options dialog.

Peter

Hi, many thanks for your replies. I wasn't running as administrator and fixed that yesterday but still got the same small screen. I then somehow got a troubleshooting program from which I managed to finally get a full screen view at my selected resolution so all seemed ok. However, having loaded it up this morning I find I'm back to square one, as the administrator box is again un-ticked and the screen is back to its small size. Have re-ticked the administrator option but still no change to the display and also can't find the trouble shooter I used yesterday to get the full screen.

In addition I've now found that the database contains none of my own content even though I transferred the User Data folder from my main PC so not sure how to get this across.

Would be grateful for some help if possible

Can I check how you are setting it to run as administrator (simply running it under an administrator account is not sufficient)?

Shane

Hi Shane, have just set it to administrator by right clicking the shortcut icon, selecting compatibility tab and ticking the run as administrator box, then clicking Apply and Save.

That should keep the setting in that case - something strange is going on.

I assume you are using that particular shortcut each time?

There is one other method available but it involves one of my utilities (Permission Generating Tool) and knowing where you installed Trainz to.

Shane

Yes I use the same shortcut each time but will try anything to get it working ok. Do you think it's worth trying a complete re-install to the laptop first, especially as none of my own content has been carried over?

I did the transfer by copying the original set-up files (set-up 1a to 3a) to the laptop and installing the program (build was 41922) at that point but I didn't set the administrator box and, when launched, got the small screen etc. I then copied all the N3V Games program files from my main PC (incl BuiltIn and UserData) and replaced the equivalent files on the laptop. This gave me a build of 61388 as per my main PC but still left me with the small screen and also none of my own content which I can't understand. Having since set up the administrator box I'm still in the same boat and its obviously not saving the settings for some reason. Perhaps I've done something wrong in the transfer.

I don't mind trying your PG Tool first or afterwards if it still doesn't work. Also do you know what the trouble-shooter program might have been as that at least got me a full screen for a time?

Yes I use the same shortcut each time but will try anything to get it working ok. Do you think it's worth trying a complete re-install to the laptop first, especially as none of my own content has been carried over?

I did the transfer by copying the original set-up files (set-up 1a to 3a) to the laptop and installing the program (build was 41922) at that point but I didn't set the administrator box and, when launched, got the small screen etc. I then copied all the N3V Games program files from my main PC (incl BuiltIn and UserData) and replaced the equivalent files on the laptop. This gave me a build of 61388 as per my main PC but still left me with the small screen and also none of my own content which I can't understand. Having since set up the administrator box I'm still in the same boat and its obviously not saving the settings for some reason. Perhaps I've done something wrong in the transfer.

I don't mind trying your PG Tool first or afterwards if it still doesn't work. Also do you know what the trouble-shooter program might have been as that at least got me a full screen for a time?

This sounds messy... Things might have become broken in the process of copying some but all, using an install, etc. You might want to try this instead.

- Copy your complete TS12 install from your desktop.
- Put it into it's own folder on C: such as C:\N3V\TS12. At this point, it doesn't matter if its under Program Files (x86)... because this is its own install without Windows knowing it's there....

When the copy is done:

- Open up the N3V\TS12\Bin folder and send short-cuts to your desktop for Content Manager and launcher.exe
- Go to the desktop and right-click on these short-cuts and set the compatibility to run as administrator.

This part is done.

- Run Shane's DXSetup program - Link is here:

http://forums.auran.com/trainz/show...rectX-Install-Helper-Utility-(DXInstallHelper)

This will ensure you have the DX09c installed. You need this anyway even if your system is running DX11. DX11 only contains a subset of the features in DX09 as things were "improved" in DX11.

- Once this is done, Launch Trainz and confirm you want to run the program.
- Set your video options just like you normally would. You may want to launch as Open/GL first, exit, then launch again using DirectX. This seems to reset the video modes especially when copying from one machine to another.

Setting up the Firewall...

- Go into the Control Panel, network then firewall settings. Add in all of the Trainz executables: TrainzUtil.exe, TADDaemon.exe, both Trainz.exes, Launcher.exe, and Content Manager.

One more thing...

CDP files need to be associated with Content Manager. Shane has a utility for that too if you want to give that a try, otherwise you need to select a .cdp file, and choose Content Manager as the default program to open it. This is done with a shift, right-mouse-click and choosing Open With... then browsing to where Content Manager.exe is located.

Good luck and I hope this helps.

John

Hi John, just to clarify a couple of things.

1. Is all the above to be completed on my main PC and then transferred to my laptop's Program Files (x86) Folder once finalised?

2. Are the TS12 install files to be initially copied, those currently held on my main PC under Program Files (x86)/N3V Games/Train Simulator 12 from the "bin" folder through to the "unins000" Application file?

Hi John, just to clarify a couple of things.

1. Is all the above to be completed on my main PC and then transferred to my laptop's Program Files (x86) Folder once finalised?

2. Are the TS12 install files to be initially copied, those currently held on my main PC under Program Files (x86)/N3V Games/Train Simulator 12 from the "bin" folder through to the "unins000" Application file?

Very simple... We're both thinking too hard here and I should have clarified a bit more. :)

On your old computer (desktop):

Copy the N3V folder from the Program Files(x86) directory to a removable device. An external hard drive is the fastest...

On the new computer (laptop):

When that's done, plug the external into your new computer and copy the N3V folder to the hard drive. There is no need to create, or place for that matter, the N3V folder in C:\Program Files(x86).

Once everything is done copying, follow the other steps to setup the shortcuts, permissions, and firewall settings.

The process, outside of copying, will take far less time than you think. :)

john

Thanks John, I have followed your instructions and am delighted to say that it's all up and working perfectly on the new laptop and also that I understand a bit more about how things work.

I originally ran the setup files because I thought they might add some data to the registry which might be crucial to the program, before copying my latest program files across. However, I now know that just copying the original program files will suffice. I think I'll leave it in its new Folder outside of Program Files (X86), as it's all running well from there.

Many thanks once again to you, Shane and Peter for your help with this problem, no doubt I'll be back soon with some more questions - watch this space.

Back