Well I splurged and got myself a new Alienware laptop.

The Area-51 starts at 61 pounds with nothing in it (I think). My old Aurora Tower wasn't much less. The Area-51 has built-in handles I think. I don't keep them on my computer desk as they are too tall (by quite a bit). I have a small but strong table next to the desk with the computer and a 1500 watt UPS on it. Easier to access and gets them off the floor (dust and dog hair proof, lol). She used to insist her bed (she has one in every room of course) be right in front of it. Guess she liked the funny little noises it made now and then. I didn't like the dog hair so got the table. Got dirty looks from her for a few days, lol.

BTW - both the Aurora and Area-51 are liquid cooled. Never had any problems with the liquid cooling or the computer itself overheating. The entire cooling system is controlled by the computer. The Nvidia GTX 1080's are supposed to run considerably cooler, use less power and are twice as fast.

Back to making a stock car.

Ben

I'm reading this Ben, in total envy! I figure that new 10 ton cpu you'll be driving is the recently released Intel i7- 6950X! :mop:
I was just perusing though the specs (and PRICING) the other day, while inventing a new dream machine. My eyes fell off the page after oogling the $1k i7 6900X (8 cores). Because I want to record and edit videos, I know I'll need at least a 6 core like the new i7 6850.
But 10 banger monster like the one you just bought is mind boggling! I know you don't play Trainz, just build 'em; so what gives!!! Is that 20 year old GMax program over stressing your old machine?

Good luck with it...
regards
Mike

Yah - Gmax is melting my processor (only kidding). On a more serious note Gmax isn't happy with really large items. It was a bit of a struggle when I made the Tay River Bridge. Literally 3-miles long , 53 separate im files, and a total of over 750,000 polys. Took forever to get it to do things. The farther I got from the axis origin the more balky it got. TRS2004 had a hard time rendering the whole thing too. One end would just up and disappear. I think for the same reason - that end was farther from the axis origin then the other (was a curve in the bridge so one end was closer). Dunno if the new processor will help or not. Doesn't matter too much as there can't be very many 3 mile long bridges out there (I hope).

I checked and that is the processor it comes with in the version I bought. Think they have an 8 core one as an option on other versions of the Area-51.

Ben

Have you done the Chesapeake Bay Bridge yet? :cool:
Now I'm forcing myself to be serious, with some difficulty, I might add! :hehe:
So I'll pretend..................... :eek:
Seriously, what mobo is driving that thing? Make and model please, for future reference.

Seriously, really..........I want to know.
Best regards
Mike

Yah - Gmax is melting my processor (only kidding). On a more serious note Gmax isn't happy with really large items. It was a bit of a struggle when I made the Tay River Bridge. Literally 3-miles long , 53 separate im files, and a total of over 750,000 polys. Took forever to get it to do things. The farther I got from the axis origin the more balky it got. TRS2004 had a hard time rendering the whole thing too. One end would just up and disappear. I think for the same reason - that end was farther from the axis origin then the other (was a curve in the bridge so one end was closer). Dunno if the new processor will help or not. Doesn't matter too much as there can't be very many 3 mile long bridges out there (I hope).

I checked and that is the processor it comes with in the version I bought. Think they have an 8 core one as an option on other versions of the Area-51.

Ben

Hi Ben --- good buddy!

Wow, 3 miles long ...

There were moments in which I had to work with long objects, and it was a pain, with my old pc years ago! Me think you are not going to have any issues with your new pc, except other's might, meaning ... if you create an object that's powerful enough which your new baby can handle, a lesser end pc might not --- Not sure if you have consider that yet, Ben! ---

I am curious to read your reply about this. how your beast can handle heavily polys objects, but yet lesser pc's won.t!

Ben, dinner time here so much go shortly in case I missed your reply, I'll read it tomorrow!

Ish

Nope - and why would anyone want that for Trainz? Convert it to rail? Yes - I know you are pulling my leg (nothing wrong with that - this is supposed to be a fun hobby).

I did make the 7-mile bridge (all 7 miles of it) on the Key West Extension of the Florida East Coast Railroad but it was not a single item like the TAY River Bridge. Instead it was a combination of fixed items (end bulkheads, Moser channel draw bridge, and the curved part over Pigeon Key) and two splines. I included instructions on how to assemble it and amazingly they worked since at least one trainzer followed them and put it together. I'd liked to have seen his face when he read the line that said: Connect spline (whichever) to the end bulkhead and extend it out 1.8 miles. My wife was born in Key West and some of her family help build the 7-mile bridge. The masonry arch part has been preserved and converted to a very nice (and long) fishing pier. I've driven over the old one after it had been converted to a 2-lane highway bridge. Boy was it narrow. You will never convince me two greyhound busses or 18-wheelers didn't swap paint when passing. Locals used to keep fishing gear in the trunk as the Moser channel draw bridge was always getting stuck in the open position. Bridge was far to narrow to turn around on so locals got the gear out and tried to catch supper (really).

I have no idea what motherboard it uses. Perhaps the manual will list it but none of the info on the site mentions it. Good question too (not that I would know one from the other if they hit me in the head, lol). I just looked at the detailed invoice but its not listed. Probably considered part of the base unit so no need to list it separately.

If this manual is like the one that came with my Aurora it will be a work or art (and pretty much useless, lol). 95% legalese and 5% info some of which will be wrong. One of the first things the Aurora manual said for assembling the item was to plug the cable from the keyboard here on a very nicely drawn diagram. Trouble was the keyboard had 2 cables. Also - there was next to nothing explaining how to re-install windows and all the fancy Alienware stuff. That's one thing I am going to look for very carefully.

No FedEx truck today (bummer).

Ben

Last edited:
Hi Ish:

I don't think that will make any difference tho admittedly I have a reputation for hi-poly items. For example I make windows and doors out of real parts which have depth rather the applying a texture with a picture of a window or door to a rectangular part (or even a plane). The latter saves polys but doesn't always look good really close up. That method has its uses of course - I just don't particularly like it.

Ben

Yo John:

I think you bought your 8TB hard drive too soon.

Seagate just announced a series of three 10Tb hard drives.

Ya jumped the gun (only kidding).:hehe:

Ben

Yo John:

I think you bought your 8TB hard drive too soon.

Seagate just announced a series of three 10Tb hard drives.

Ya jumped the gun (only kidding).:hehe:

Ben

That always happens! :D

The day I received my GTX780Ti, NVidia announced the then new GTX980. I'll stay behind the upgrade curve for a bit. It's time to pay off my computer hardware upgrade investments.

John

Ben, believe me, I was funnin'!
While I love Trainz, and I am knee deep in an on going project, I don't take it all that seriously. It's a hobby.
And for those who chase technology (computer nerds), I have an ample amount of 'Snerdy' humor in that area.
For me the base line is functionality; i.e. "Bang for the buck!"
However, I certainly don't mean to impose myself on anyone else's sensibilities.

I am still quite interested in what Aienware offers you for a mobo. When you receive it you should have a receipt identifying each component; and an instruction book for the mobo which identifies its make and model. I would be thankful if you could supply that info via e-mail or Trainz PM.
The reason is this: there are only a limited number of mobo models available with the supporting Broadwell E chipset and LGA2011-v3 cpu socket. My internet searches have shown that most of these mobo's have had less than stellar reviews. Thus my interest.
Thanks
Mike

Hi Mike:

Sure - be glad to pass the info on (I put a big fat note in my physical Alienware file folder to pass the info on to you).

Ben

Back