UK steam era trackplans

Davie_UCF

Here since 2001, Trainz!!
I'm trying to find track diagrams of UK stations and yards from the era of steam, mainly because I want diagrams that involve local goods which doesn't really happen anymore.

Does anyone know any books or sites that contain trackplans from the steam era, I guess upto the 70s?

Its mainly out of interest and for inspiration.

I know of signalbox.org and its diagrams, but id love to have more, especially in books.

I found two books in the local studies area of my library, GER track plans no1 and no2, both of these appear to be very old books so are not for loan but annoyingly they don't cover Colchester or the area i'd love to have plans of. So yeah one area i'm really interested in is the Eastern region, Great Eastern and LNER. But in general any plans are good that give me an idea of prototypical layouts for stuff in my own routes.

I welcome your book/site suggestions or if you have any at hand you could scan i'd be extremely happy!

David

Hi David

Although it isn't for the area you are mainly interested in I have found the following book to be very useful.

An Historical Survey of Selected LMS Stations
by Dr R.P. Hendry & R.P.Hendry
published by OPC.

There are trackplans and some signalling details for 82 stations ranging in size from a large city terminus to small local stations. It seems to be out of print now but this site gives details of the book including a list of all the stations included.

http://www.transportdiversions.com/publicationshow.asp?pubid=2427

Regards

Brian

That does look interesting! Shame Essex Libraries don't appear to have it. I do love the library at present.. free books!

I'm sure copies can be found elseware but im a typical broke student at present :)

Hi again David

You can download free trial versions of their signalling sims from

http://www.pcrail.co.uk/home.php

These will show the signalling trackplans for the era they are based in. However they are not scale plans but signalling plans similar to those used in signalboxes. They may give you some ideas though.

Regards

Brian

Another good book for some diagrams is

Great Northern Railway Engine Sheds, Southern Region.

ISBN 1-8996248-8-0

Book covers mainly sheds on the ECML up to Grantham, along with branch line sheds that fall south of Grantham on the GNR network. Some of the diagrams show the shed along with station and yards. The other way is to just trawl various website for diagrams. The Southern Email group website has a number of diagrams which I have certainly found useful for fictional routes.

A good place to pickup books is always your local preserved railway, many a time they have a second hand book section, which with a little bit of digging can unearth some real gems.

Rob

British model railway magazines used to publish station track plans and signal box diagrams so if you can get hold of Railway Modeller or Model Railway News' from the days of steam or just after, you might find something of interest. Again, a good place to look for these is preserved/heritage railway bookshops.

Ray

The following may be of interest:

http://www.railwaystationtrackplans.co.uk/ - plans to purchase
http://www.signalbox.org/diagrams.php - plans to download

Last edited:
The main libraries will probably have os maps from whatever period you want, the large scale ones show signal posts, water cranes, etc.

Although not the railway you're interested in, any one of the "track layout diagrams of the gwr and br wr" by R A Cooke are very interesting as they show the way track layouts have changed. They are out of print now, but available second hand.

The Middleton press books are good if there's one for the route you want.

Chris.

If you have a look in model railway trackplans there could be some. I found a website with LNER and other railway's track plans of stations and yards and what model railway book they can be found in. It has King's Cross station and yard trackplans.

Hope this helps!
captainkman

Wow I didn't expect so many responces! Thanks.

The enginesheds book. Maybe its related to another book i've used, ' Great Eastern Railway Engine Sheds' which is great, the only problem I have is it doesn't have any small stations because they don't have engine sheds!

Its been great for stations with engine facilities though.

I've never thought of OS maps.. interesting i'll keep that in mind and try to check it out when i'm next around the library

There are copies of the "Historical Survey of Selected {insert name of railway company} Stations" series by OPC available at many of the good rail bookshops websites or via eBay.

I have about seven from the series and if you can find them, they are well worth the money as they include great photos, track plans and signalling diagrams of the stations. They also cover stations of all sizes from major city stations to branchline termini.

Also there are a lot of books regarding branchlines and many can be bought fairly cheaply. Just Google/Bing for areas you want and you're sure to find a few.

Another great source for info on small branchlines is the 'Railway Bylines' magazine from Irwell Press. Great articles & photos re small, branch, industrial & light railways - and they very often include extracts from the old Ordnance Survey maps showing the track layouts. They also have lots of back issues available at their website - http://www.irwellpress.co.uk

Cheers,
Dreadnought1

Last edited:
I use Old Ordnance Survey maps by Godfrey to model the Bradford exchange/Leeds central from the 50's era. They show original track plans with all the goods yards - really useful. Put in Godfrey maps in google!

Yorkshire

Try the local reference library - they may have copies of old 25 inches to the mile Ordnance Survey maps for which a small fee is usually charged.

Failing that, another useful source could be the county records office.

I believe that the O.S. rules allow for unlimited copies for material over 50 years old, but anything within that timescale is subject to only one A4 size copy per map sheet.

Happy hunting.

Back