Two other track questions

mjolnir

So, I'm taking a "test" run along the route I'm currently building, checking it from various views, when I become aware of a hint that something just isn't quite right. Can't put my finger on what the problem is, though, at that time. A little later, after reading a thread in these forums on the best track for a route, I realize that in the particular part of the route I'm testing at the moment, that the track looks too good. The particular track segment in question is supposed to be a short line, and while rather profitable, the proprietor of the line is know to be rather, er, frugal (some of the employees and suppliers would use the word "stingy", but that's another issue), and he would not yet have invested in welded rail. That's when I realize what the problem above was: while the train was traveling over what looked like welded rail, the train sound was making the familiar "click-clacK" one hears over jointed rail.

So for the two questions in the subject:

1) Is there any way to make the "click-clack" sound in the train noise background optional, so that I can hear it if I'm running on jointed track, but not if I'm running on welded rail; and

2) if any "old" standard guage, jointed rail track been produced, where can I find it?

Ideally it seems to met that there ought to be about three versions of jointed rail track available: one in good condition, for use in situations with heavy steam (like the included UP Big Boy), one in "OK" condition, where the rail is fairly straight, but perhaps a bit grassy, representing a branch line, and one which is worn, evidencing a need for maintenance, used for some yard and some industry tracks.

ns

Q1 - afaik: No

Q2 - Making rail joiners a part of the track spline would be unrealistic since the distance between them would vary with the spline length. They are available as a separate add-ons though - one source is from Slave_Driver at USLW.

Andy :)

Well actually it can be done, Dermmy. I have some on the USLW site. You basically make a spline 39ft long with the rail joints at one end, but made up of a series of 6ft grouped sections in gmax. The resulting spline will bend around a curve quite nicely with joints properly spaced at 39 ft. The problem comes with the MRT or mesh reduction that is used to keep the poly count reasonable with high poly track. When you pan away from a section of this track, as you reach the mesh reduction distance the track straightens out in a very visible way. The solution would be not to use MRT, but then the poly count "visible" to trainz would increase a great deal, making it fairly unworkable.

If you start out with a lower poly basic track you ought to be able to make the joints work. I just haven't gotten around to playing with that concept.

The problem comes with the MRT or mesh reduction that is used to keep the poly count reasonable with high poly track. When you pan away from a section of this track, as you reach the mesh reduction distance the track straightens out in a very visible way.

Using the new track type in '09 would get around this issue -it allows you to specify the lod changeover, as well as give you multiple levels of lod, allows you to use more segments in your rail for curves and less for straight sections, allows automatic adjustment to use shorter sections where necessary, and allows randomizing of track sections.

Is it just me or that all 3-dimensional track I have seen to date look awkward in the sense that after a certain linear distance the LOD suddenly kicks in and the track appears cut in half (if anyone doesn't get this I'll post a screen). The TS09 tracks are still like this. :confused:

Cheerio,
Nicholas.

Thats true, Nicholas, at least for 06 where you cannot specify the LOD change over distance. It seems to be worse for light colored track like my concrete track because the mesh reduced track shows lighter in one direction and darker in another viewing direction, making it impossible to adjust for intensity. From what pencil42 said, this may be solved in 09 by allowing you to increase the initial LOD change to a distance far enough away to make the problem less noticable.

Ahh, I see. If one tweaks the LOD kick-in to a further distance, this would affect framerates even further. Unless used in a very simple route, the tradeoff between track aesthetics and environment detailing; therefore I will stick with Trunda's for now.

But for what it's worth, your tracks look stunning and are without a doubt the best choice for photo shoots and the like. :D

Cheerio,
Nicholas.

Back