TS2010 patch freezes 1/2 way during patch

PawloA

I have Trains 2010 version 41491 and tried several times to update it to 44088. But everytime I do this is gets about 1/2 way though the process and seems to freeze. It does not hang up or anything but 1/2 through the patching process the TRAINZ PATCHER will just stop advancing and not move on ahead. As a result of this I have lost part of my new route I was working on even though I backed it up with the archiver. This is quite frustrating as I am not advancing at all. What is to be done?

It is not frozen, that is the normal behavior. You should just wait until it is finished which might take as long as a couple of hours depending on the speed of your computer. That is a big jump and a lot of the built-in content is being patched which is very slow on even the fastest machine. I'm assuming you are stopping the patch by killing it. If so you may need to re-install since aborting the patcher is the quickest way to corrupt your install. If you uninstall and re-install to the same directory your own content should still be there but it is best to have a backup.

William

This is the normal way it shows. It is patching the builtin files and advances to the halfway point doing the file called 1.ja. These files are all close to the 1 gig mark and are being fixed. The bar gets to halfway but it has another 7 files to do of about the same size. This part while the bar shows stuck at halfway can take anywhere from 1 to 2 hours to do depending on your machine. Just leave it alone and it will work. You can always moitor the files by watching the Builtin area and see the files being moved around every 10 to 15 minutes another file is done.

You have to be patient. Read a book, grab a sandwich, watch TV.

If you have stopped the patching process, you have probably corrupted your install. Now you should uninstall, delete registry files, and install again, then patch to the current build before playing with the program.

All I can say is that it must take a *lot* longer than 2 hours. I started the update process at about 10:15 p.m. and it got halfway done very quickly. But then by 1:30 a.m. it was still halfway there. And I have a fairly decent processor (2.5 GHz dual core) and decent amount of memory (3 GB RAM). I guess I'll have to leave the computer on all night and hope for the best. :confused:

How long the patch takes depends on the system specifications and how much content is present.

Ways of (possibly) speeding it up a bit:

1.Turn off your antivirus software.
2.If using Windows Vista or 7, setting JAConverter and jpatchl-w32.exe to run as administrator.
3.Disconnecting from the Internet if using a manual patch.

Also, as stated above, never cancel a patch just because it is taking it's time

Shane

Get a good book

Been meaning to do this for a while, might as well do it here. Computers write files to the hard disk starting at the beginning, working toward the end, and sticking files into the first empty block they find. If they're writing a 2 meg file and the first empty space the computer sees is 512 kilobytes, it will stick a quarter of the file into that spot, then hunt for the next empty space to stick the rest of the file. So that 2 meg file could easily end up fragmented into 2 or 3 or even half a dozen segments, causing loading problems as the game hunts all over the disk for all the pieces of the file. Got stuttering, got problems patching, need to do some computer maintenance. A computer ain't Nintendo.

40832813.jpg

First thing is open Windows Explorer, RIGHT click on the C drive, select Properties. Click the disk cleanup, sit back and read your book cuz it's gonna take a while. When it's finished empty the recycle bin.

10024755.jpg

Next step if you haven't done it for a while, or if you have never done it, is run the check disk. You'll need to reboot for this one. When that's finished, click the Defragment Now.

38212466.jpg

If this is full of red stripes, those are all the fragmented files that slow everything down and cause heavy stuttering when loading scenery. Disk Cleanup should be done every two or three months, check disk is something I only do once a year or so, but defragging is something the average computer gamer SHOULD do at least once a month. If you're a content creator/hacker/repainter, or you just download, install, and delete a lot of addons for games, you should defrag once a week.

Got a clean hard disk that's not stuffed with old temp files and chopped into zillions of little bits and bytes, you'll have a lot less trouble with installation, patching, and operating.

keyword - feldercarb

Last edited:
Back