TS12 SP2 Game crashing

taggy

Big fan of the mighty 38
Hi all,

I have recently updated my game to SP2, which has turned out be a disaster.
It is continually crashing and I'm getting this message:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: trainz.exe
Application Version: 1.5.0.57898
Application Timestamp: 5174f80a
Fault Module Name: Kernel_7c.dll
Fault Module Version: 0.0.0.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 5174e911
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0000ceac
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

When it crashes, I lose all the work I have been doing up to the last save.
Since the game was updated, it has also broken my route and a number of assets which were fine in the pre updated TS12.

Im very frustrated by this and I fear I'm losing interest in the game because of it. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it. (I'm not a computer wiz, so please don't use big words:) )

Hi Taggy,

I'll try to be least technical here. ;)

When you did the update, did you turn off your antivirus?

This sounds like you need to run an EDR or Extended Database Repair. This is done in Content Manager.
Start Content Manager.
Click on File
Click on Extended Database repair.

Go to bed or for a walk. This can take some time...

When this is done, you may have a lot of broken assets....

Don't panic!

Click on one and press Ctrl+A at the same time to select all. With all the assets selected, press the right-mouse button. and choose View Errors and Warnings.

This will make a lot of the errors go away.

If there are others, the content needs to be fixed or updated if there are updates.

Your route isn't broken. The update didn't break your route. Once you repair the "broken" assets, you'll be okay.

If you still have problems after this, you might have to reinstall the program and then patch it again. We'll get there if that happens.

John

Gidday Taggy,
Couple of quick questions for clarification purposes...
1. Do you mean TS12 Service Pack 1 and Hot fix 2 (and not SP2)? i.e Application Version: 1.5.0.57898
2. Have you tried to perform a full (Extended) Database Repair since your update to Hot fix 2? (That usually will fix most issues following the update, I've found)
Hopefully someone else will be able to demystify the error codes shown above for you...
If you haven't done that Extended Database Repair since installation of the upgrade then doing one from Content Manager v3.7 should do the trick!
Best of luck!
Peter

I can demystify one of the codes...

The issue you have come across is a 'Code 5' error - Access Denied.

This usually crops up if your antivirus software is preventing the file from being saved, or you are not running Trainz as administrator in Windows Vista or later.

Shane

Hi guys,

Thanks very much for replying. I have completed an extended database repair and viewed the warnings/errors, which did indeed fix a few issues.
However, I still get the game crashing on me. (PC_ace, yes I ment hot fix 2 not SP2). lol

If it helps, when the game crashes, I could be doing anything such as searching for a piece of rolling stock or a spline or simply just navigating around the map. The game will then freeze and with my assistance, it shuts down.

Shaneturner12, I made sure I was running the game as administrator but still no luck.

Regards

Hi Shane,

I have but it still doesn't seem to make a difference. Maybe it might be worth just going back to TS12 out of the box.
I never had much issue with that installation.

I love the fact that no matter what happens after an SP, the cure is always to turn off your anti virus... LOL........

Are you running the program as Administrator on Windows 7 and up? This can cause issues too if not. The same with patching. Ensure you patch as admin as well.

John

Hi, Taggy. Here is one thing you might try. Use a Windows Explorer window and click to the root folder of Trainz. RIGHT-click on it and choose "Properties". Next, on the "Security" tab, ensure that ALL of the boxes are ticked (checked) for everyone in the list of users - especially your normal sign-on name. If not, then highlight the name and click the "Edit" key. In the edit window, make sure that the boxes are ticked and then OK your way out. It may take a while for the permissions to trickle down (you will be asked if you want the permissions to be applied to all sub-folders - say 'yes'), but be patient. When it is done, your username should have all privileges set for you to be able to write into the various folders.

Note that you MUST be an Administrator to do this procedure.

Bill

Back