Trs2010 Very Poor Draw Distance! Driver Mode Even Worse

Thanks socalwb909 for the info.

:) Very true socalw909 you are correct that the built in content can also cause the problems. I have done open for edit and then closed the built in and seen it give error warnings. I wish that I could delete the built in, but it can not be done. So I just disable it and use something else.

From what I am hearing is that the content is causing the draw distance limiter to do it's thing.

I will not reinstall TRS2010

After reviewing the the sp3 update I can see that nothing was fixed that troubled my Draw Distance and the content get button was not fixed. Trs2010 is still the same Auran Jet.

your welcome

After reviewing the the sp3 update I can see that nothing was fixed that troubled my Draw Distance and the content get button was not fixed. Trs2010 is still the same Auran Jet.
-Obviously you did not read the thread. simply put... use efficient content! :p

-Joe

The draw distance really isn't sometimes satisfactorily from external camera, but the draw distance from internal camera is really BAD ! It is never better than 2000 meters for ground and 1200 meters for objects (in external camera these distances are 2900-3500 meters both ). When I use an interior consists from 2 faces instead of a 30 000 faces locomotive.

Could you tell me, in what hole all the performance has been tightened ?

Last edited:
I have read all of this thread completly.

socalwb909 I understand what you are saying & thanks for you kind help.:) But I am not going to spend days and weeks trying to find what content is effcient. The Trs2006 runs great with good draw distance with the content that I have and I do not want to delete the Maddy25 roads, bridges and other content just to satisfy the Trs2010. I want to work on my map not 2010's problems.

socalwb909 I understand what you are saying & thanks for you kind help.:) But I am not going to spend days and weeks trying to find what content is effcient. The Trs2006 runs great with good draw distance with the content that I have and I do not want to delete the Maddy25 roads, bridges and other content just to satisfy the Trs2010. I want to work on my map not 2010's problems.
-well i would say start using content build 2.9 and above whenever possible. that should be and ok starting point towards efficient content. if your using 09/10 surveyor gives you and option what the worst affenders are by index count. ts10 has an option for this in driver too. that number is only good for that one point of view. but if you see that kuid number repeatedly that is bad!
-example: if your using 2006 to build, build in 2006. then at anytime take that 2006 route put it into 2009/10 and look at a densely populated area. look at the buffer and index count. it will give you a kuid of that count. while in surveyor just look up that kuid and replace with a better one!
-this is something like what i have done on the mojave sub. a telegraph wire was an offender. it was making the draw distance poor. NS37 made a more efficient one (09/10 standards) and what a difference that was. because of this find, we are pushing the route to be as efficient as possible! The content used makes all the difference! i can show you a before and after photo just by swapping out the telegraph wire and what it did for DD if necessary!
-Joe

Last edited:
I say! Another Coloradan?

:eek: Stovepipe I can see over 1 mile away looking down the hill of a street and can see the ground and roads and then some. Trainz2010 can not even see 2 blocks away! I live up on a hill in Denver, Colorado and can see the downtown buildings that are over 8 miles away.

I live in an Apartment in Lakewood up near Green Mountain. A short walk, and I can see Denver, and easily more than 8 miles beyond towards the Plains.

I will note, However that the blue distance 'fog' we see in Trainz is indeed Real. I've seen it with my own eyes...

I must reply to Socalwb909. Unfortunately when in a cab of a loco, it doesn't matter what content is on show. It ain't gonna show more than 1500 to maybe 2000 metres(if you are lucky) Efficient kuids or not, the limiter cuts like a knife. Try it you will see what a lot of us are complaining about. Different story outside the cab, the draw distance of scenery items is way better, but then one has to contend with the woeful appearing/disappearing act of the said items. Not a good look. Prototypical, nah. But I live in hope that someone at Auran will hear the plaintive cries of us fanatics. Cheers and have a wonderful Trainz day!

I must reply to Socalwb909. Unfortunately when in a cab of a loco, it doesn't matter what content is on show. It ain't gonna show more than 1500 to maybe 2000 metres(if you are lucky) Efficient kuids or not, the limiter cuts like a knife. Try it you will see what a lot of us are complaining about. Different story outside the cab, the draw distance of scenery items is way better, but then one has to contend with the woeful appearing/disappearing act of the said items. Not a good look. Prototypical, nah. But I live in hope that someone at Auran will hear the plaintive cries of us fanatics. Cheers and have a wonderful Trainz day!

-I agree with you. 1500m is not enough in cab view. i already know this since i spend half my time in cab while in driver. we should at least have 3000m if not more. the human eye can only see so far due to the curve-a-ture of the earth. we should at least get a more realistic distance in cab! why limit that?
-Sampug394, your in lakehood? lol i'm in thornton!

-Joe

Thanks all of you for your support.

-I agree with you. 1500m is not enough in cab view. i already know this since i spend half my time in cab while in driver. we should at least have 3000m if not more. the human eye can only see so far due to the curve-a-ture of the earth. we should at least get a more realistic distance in cab! why limit that?
-Sampug394, your in lakehood? lol i'm in thornton!

-Joe

Exactly! Now! finally I got the team to understand about the Driver, cab mode. That is my main complaint. Draw distance is very poor.:D

The Trs2006 does not suffer from this problem. Only Trs2009 and Trs2010 has this very poor code for cab mode and the Trainz Tuner does not work in any of these later Trainz.:'(

Joe the three of us chaps should get together for coffee sometime. I live in Westminster, Co.

Last edited:
Hi All

As was explained earlier.

So as to be able to correctly render the interior view, without possible (and likely issues) with doing so, we have to reduce the draw distance when in the interior view.

As per the following:
When you're not near any objects, it's possible to increase both the near and far clipping distance without really losing precision, which allows us to extend the draw distance. When you're inside the cab, we can't afford to substantially increase the near clipping distance because the cab itself would be clipped out. In this case we need to sacrifice either draw distance or precision.

Based off earlier discussions of this (before I started on the helpdesk, when TS2009 first came out), this is a limitation of the graphics card. Unfortunately, if we want to see detailed cabs (rather than 2D images, literally), this is necessary.

Chris, please make any comments on the above if I have made a mistake. This is based off earlier discussions on this issue.

Joe the three of us chaps should get together for coffee sometime. I live in Westminster, Co.

-That we we should! Send a PM or i will tomorrow! but i will add, as far as i remember ts06 does have that 1500m limit too. maybe not with trainz tuner but i dunno... i don't use ts2006 anymore!
-Joe

In this case we need to sacrifice either draw distance or precision.
in my opinian it is worth to make an option in trainzoptions.txt for user to chose the level of cabin detalisation (or level of bugs in interior render). In many cases to catch sight of red signal for 2000 meters is much more useful than to see ideally rendered interior.

Pity you guys are in Westminster, Colorado, I am in Melbourne, Australia, else i would join you. In reference to Zec and Chris, again I ask have any of you chaps had a look at how Trainz Tuner works? So simple , so elegantly simple and so effective. Please check it out. I kid you not.

Trainz Tuner is for 2006 only.

Yes Trainz Tuner is awsome and so easy to use for the Trs2006. Trainz Tuner does not work with Trs2009 and Trs2010. The 2 later Trainz versions do not have the same type of interface to accept the Trainz Tuner. I wished it did work.

Back