trs2004 and windows 7 problems

warwickh

I have just got a new laptop with windows 7 on it and loaded 2004 onto it . when I create a new route and then save it . I then go into programmes /auran /world / ....... maps to find it as I did on xp but there are on maps , scenarios or anthing . where are they ? :confused:

warwickh

First things first - Windows 7 operates differently to XP.

The main difference is that Windows 7 uses UAC (User Account Control) which basically means that Trainz must be run in admin mode.

To do this:

1.Right-click the Trainz shortcut.
2.Click Properties.
3.Click Compatibility.
4.Tick the box marked 'run this program as administrator' (the wording may be slightly different) then click OK.

When you do run Trainz from there on, you will need to click Yes each time.

If this does not fix the problem, you may need to experiment with the settings that appear in Step 4.

The files should appear in the same place as they do on XP.

(If you are wondering where the files have been put, I am currently investigating this and will update accordingly)
Shane

Last edited:
James,
Thanks for your input .I wanted to transfer a route that I was building on my xp computor onto my laptop so I could carry on building on my holiday, and then move it back when I came back, but if I cannot find the map I am snookered.

warwick

Actually, my name is Shane, but no need to worry about that.

As I said in my previous post, as long as you are running Trainz in admin mode (as per the instructions) you should be OK.

If you have run Trainz in non-admin mode, there is a way of recovering the data...

You will need to go into C:/Users/(your username)/AppData/Local/Virtualstore.

Inside this folder is a 'mirror image' - or rather what was saved while Trainz was running in non-admin mode.

Once in there, treat it as if that was the C: folder (ie: you would go into the Trainz installation folder (from that folder, not the C:/ one) then go into Local. If there are any folders in there that do not appear in the Trainz installation folder, you can copy the folders across - remember to click Yes/Continue when prompted.

Hopefully this will fix the problem.

Shane

Also... If you manually add in content, you need to go into the Trainz Dispatcher/Temp and delete the dispatcher.chump file (temp). This will force Trainz to reload the list of content so you can use your newly imported route.

John

Back