TRS04/06/09 loading problems.....

VinnyBarb

*HRH in real life*
Hi, in the last 3 days I upgraded my WinXPPro to SP2 and since then I have nothing but problems to get my ATI 850X Pro to work, or rather to see any of the mentioned TRS versions to appear. This is the error messages I get:

http://www.the-commander.com/pics/1.gif

in TRS04 and 06:

http://www.the-commander.com/error.gif

and in TRS09:

http://www.the-commander.com/ati09.gif

and this is the driver I am currently using:

http://www.the-commander.com/850.gif

In all three TRS versions I can not get them going, neither in DX mode nor in Open GL mode, low specs or medium specs neither.

I also tried the original ATI X850 install CD driver which had been originally working with TRS04 and 06. I uninstalled this driver as it wasn't working after upgrade to WinXPSP2, I tried the ATI Radeon drivers 7.8, 8.5, 8.11, 9.1 and 9.3, the latest ATI driver, I uninstalled each after testing with ATI's uninstall utility to make sure all traces where wiped clean, yet I can not get the TRS versions going to appear past the error messages.

Yet, FarCry, Crysis, Morrowind, Oblivion etc all show in glorious colours on this PC as they always did before but all TRS versions don't show. :(

It can not be the ATI videocard as said the other games do show alright with it. So what can it be, I am at my wits end.

Am I doing something wrong or is it the Mickey Mouse programming of AURAN doing this to my PC???

Yet on my other PC with a GT 8800 I have no issues but as my erstwhile PC is my content creating PC, I came to a stand still. What is it with these ATI drivers, they had all been working successful before my WinXPPro upgrade from SP1 to SP2, NOTHING else was changed.

To repeat myself, DRX9.0c is installed, any of the above ATI drivers had been installed, tried and after failing uninstalled except the last one still there. All other drivers like motherboard driver (GigaByte K8V-Ultra 939) which was showing all the TRS versions before reinstalled to make sure. VB 6 runtime, Framework 1.1 and 2.0 are also installed.

Thanking in advance for any tips, hints, solves etc.

VnnyBarb

Hi have you uninstaled and reinstalled TRS04 , 06 and 09?
if so did you reinstall with your virus software disabled or off?
your install of these could have been corrupted if you had the virus software running.
I have known of instances where uninstalling and reinstalling has caused a problem with the video intro.
In all three you can open the trainz options text doc and input this line in including the-
-Intro=disable
Now save and close and re try to launch each one in turn.
What this does is bypass the video intro and just loads in the simulator.

Roll back your OS to SP1 and update your OS via windows update with all available updates except SP2. Use custom install to select which you want.
Its not a cure just a work round.
check on the ATI site for issues with SP2.

Hi have you uninstaled and reinstalled TRS04 , 06 and 09?
if so did you reinstall with your virus software disabled or off?
your install of these could have been corrupted if you had the virus software running.
I have known of instances where uninstalling and reinstalling has caused a problem with the video intro.
In all three you can open the trainz options text doc and input this line in including the-
-Intro=disable
Now save and close and re try to launch each one in turn.
What this does is bypass the video intro and just loads in the simulator.

This was on a fresh formatted c drive where windows is, with a fresh WinXP Pro SP2 install. No virus program has been installed yet and the intro disable line I already had in the trainzoption text after installing fresh the 3 mentioned TRS versions.

http://www.the-commander.com/atigl.gif

This error message above points to an "atiopen gl" problem which none of the various versions of the ATI drivers I tried was able to fix. Yet switching to Direct X gives me this:

http://www.the-commander.com/pics/1.gif

with the latest DX9.0c version installed, this is what I can not understand why this is happening. As pointed out, none of some of other games I installed and tried are doing this, hence it can not be the video card causing this.

The only reason I switched to WinXP SP2 was because the upgrade patcher of TRS09 refused to upgrade to 38599 and crashed windows. Another one of AURAN's Mickey Mouse programming as any of the recent games upgrade patching I used for various games upgrades do indeed work without these hickups I am having with AURAN's stuff.

It makes me wonder what else gets stuffed up by AURAN as reading here of all these problems other people are having with installing, upgrading, patching etc. of the various TRS versions, makes me wonder if they, AURAN, know at all.

Also the saying of TRS being graphic intensive and all the other crap one hears as an excuse here is just a lame answer as other games are sometimes more demanding (Crysis, Oblivion) than TRS. I guess it is their Jet engine which is doing all these problems, as 20 years of my computer experience has shown me, NO OTHER programs are causing as many issues as TRS. Even a lowly video card which my APG slotted ATI X850 Pro is, should at least show something with all options turned down with any of the latest drivers installed, as my other installed games do not have these harrowing issues.

As a last resort, I will go back to reformat my c drive again, install my previous working WinXP Pro SP1 version and see how I get on but I should NOT have to do this as I think I did ALL could think of, proper and correctly to try to get this piece of cr@p working again.

Not so cheery

VinnyBarb

I have had this problem the same messages with 09 on a laptop, after updating the ATI drivers, turned out to be the game screen resolution was wrong and no I hadn't changed the settings, I guess something in the new driver triggered the change? worth a look I guess.

Make sure that the vertical sync and the refresh rate in the Trainz Options dialog are both set to Auto. Reckon that'll fix it.

Paul

Thank you all for your replies, I finally got all TRS versions going. I reverted back to an old ATI 7.11 driver which finally let me see the light. :hehe:

But seriously, just upgrading WinXP from SP1 to SP2 should not cause such mayhem, something is definitely wrong somewhere. I googled about WinXP SP2 upgrades and ATI drivers and lo and behold there were such issues at the time for certain cards. ATI in their infinite wisdom did nothing to address this issue in their drivers following for certain ATI video cards. Guess which branded cards I will not buy in future?

Also using an old (2-3 years?) ATI driver might not give me all the features a new driver might, this still remains to be seen.

Cheery again

VinnyBarb

It's both ATI and Nvidea that have certain issues with cards and OS. I was on SP2 with an ATI 1950 pro latest drivers no problems.
Your 850 problems.
Gandalf has recently had driver issues with Nvidea, he updated to the latest drivers and his graphics went to the dogs, he had to roll back the drivers to get rid of it.
He did a search and found there were issues with his card the OS and the latest drivers.
The problem being card manufacturers expect us all to have the newer cards then there would be no problems with the OS.
They dont realise we dont have a bottomless pit of cash to continually throw at our machines.

Last edited:
Back