Trees environment, not trainz

slugsmasher

US Narrow Gauge kuid86661
This screenshot is from CRYSIS while playing it on my laptop. With the new speedtrees and TRS2010, is this something we can look forward to? I believe that many of the FPS games are using a version of the speedtrees mesh objects. Hopefully some motivated creators are headed in this direction in regards to route creation and use of speedtrees objects. Realistic foliage really does make the visual impact more intensive.

I would've loved to drive a small sugar cane narrow gauge loco through this, however I couldn't and had to kill a bunch of people instead. All in a day's work I guess...

crysis1.jpg

Last edited:
follage has always been at the top of my list of wishes for trainz..... One particular thing that bugs me is when in a forest in the game, the plants do not come nearly close enough to the rail bed, and trees are often large and placed farther back. To get to the point, I think Trainz needs a Sappling Series of trees that are small and work as brush that you see on the forest floor/ close to tracks

cheers,

I think some more rocks would be nice. I really liked the shale 01. So different rocks and maybe also grass/fields would be nice.

hert:wave:

Agreed. Of course, this would make it too much like Grand Theft Auto, which is something that the developers are trying to avoid, since that is the reason that they give for not placing bounding boxes on the rolling stock and locomotives to have a bit more realistic collisions. Of course, my sleep deprived brain could be reading too much into this. I mean, GTAIV uses animated speed trees. Of course, they don't shake like a speed addict going through withdrawal.

But yeah, that would be nice to run a train through that... but I don't think that the almighty Jet engine could handle it without crapping out and turning into a pretty nice slide show. And since it still has so much potential and all, I think that it will be a while before we get anything that looks that good. Plus, the team has better things to work on. Like animated ballast that jiggles when you drive by it. (Or in all reality, shakes like an earthquake all of the time. Heck they can market it that way. Trainz 2012, now with Hurricane trees, Earthquake ballast, Epileptic pedestrians, ragdoll physics cars, and animated fish. Buy it today.)

Man, I really need to get to sleep. This whole college overload thing is killing my coherent thought. I apologize to everyone if what I just wrote doesn't make any sense. 2 days without sleep will do that too you.

This screenshot is from CRYSIS while playing it on my laptop. With the new speedtrees and TRS2010, is this something we can look forward to? I believe that many of the FPS games are using a version of the speedtrees mesh objects. Hopefully some motivated creators are headed in this direction in regards to route creation and use of speedtrees objects. Realistic foliage really does make the visual impact more intensive.

I would've loved to drive a small sugar cane narrow gauge loco through this, however I couldn't and had to kill a bunch of people instead. All in a day's work I guess...

If you're expecting the same visual quality as used in Cryengine2 or 3 as an example , I'd say no . No Speedtrees at all in Crysis , they use a different method for creation entirely .. i.e. one more suited to user based modding .

Nothing to stop anyone attempting the same with RT in trainz though .. it just won't look anywhere near as good without that lighting .. imo .

Sci

In that screenshot there are a dozen trees and a bit of ground cover in a game that moves (more or less) at walking pace in a map that covers a couple of acres. It looks great. I reckon a Trainz route could look as good if - as you say - there was a 2' gauge sugar cane loco and a couple of flat cars creeping through the trees.

Now pull the camera back far enough to get three GEVOs and a mile and a half of train into the picture and pan the camera fast enough to follow those three GEVOs at 70mph. Now you got a thousand trees in the background at about a hundred times the speed of the FPS and you computer just fried its vid card.

It's never going to happen...

Andy :)

In that screenshot there are a dozen trees and a bit of ground cover in a game that moves (more or less) at walking pace in a map that covers a couple of acres. It looks great. I reckon a Trainz route could look as good if - as you say - there was a 2' gauge sugar cane loco and a couple of flat cars creeping through the trees.

Now pull the camera back far enough to get three GEVOs and a mile and a half of train into the picture and pan the camera fast enough to follow those three GEVOs at 70mph. Now you got a thousand trees in the background at about a hundred times the speed of the FPS and you computer just fried its vid card.

Some interesting assumptions there ... have you played crysis Warhead ?? and have you used the Sandbox ?? .. also your train is travelling at a simulated 70mph :hehe: and shifting viewer perspective is quite simple.

I at time also play games like crysis, farcry, battlefield 2... and so on... Some of the long distant views and high speed views while flying JETS are just brilliant.

No, no dear Andy. There are miles between Trainz and Crysis when it comes to rendering, no frying of vga-cards. You can choose different resolutions of the textures and use auto-exec's with many many lines to control the lighting, shading and other parameters. FPS control for a given card so to speak. You should try it out, and the Sandbox Editor if you've got 64bit.

If there was that kind of game-engine for Trainz.....(now that will never happen)

Back