TranzDEM Route Question

dbgallant77

I was about to start building a TransDEM route of the Marietta/Atlanta GA area in Trainz 2019, but never got around to it! Now, I have the Beta of TRS22 and am wondering if I should build the TranzDEM route in 22, or wait until the full "finalized" version is released in the next few months?

Thanks, Grampy

I wouldn't do any major projects in TRS22 just yet because it is beta. You route may end up orphaned because this is still a beta version.

I would do any major work in TRS19 and plan on going forward with that instead.

Thanks John, that's sound advice! Once the TRS22 "final" stabilized version is released to the general public, I'm assuming that TRS19 routes would be able to be imported into 22.

Thanks again!

Testing Large route in TRS22

I agree with the theme of being careful, but as an experiment I did a major DEM create of the B&O Mountain Division starting in Cumberland. Just wanted to see what I could learn about the new surveyor. I have had no issues and have built all the yard track in Cumberland yards without issues, and that means hundreds of switches and miles of trackage, TRANSDEM works just fine. I did import all my route modules from the past, and generally came in clean. The amount of trackage in Cumberland yard does cause a slowing of the process as each change causes a redraw of the tracks, but in TRS19 I could not use it at all. That slowing surprised me as I have the top 3090 graphics, and top AMD 5950 CPU with 64gb memory and all SSD drives.

I am finding parts of the Surveyor 2 flaky and hard to learn, and would not switch to it from Surveyor Classic at this stage of it's development. But the feature to delete multiple baseboards is a dream, works very well apart from a script error that pops up when changing from Surveyor 2 back to Surveyor Classic. It seems to go away without causing any problems tho.

I have tested many of my route modules, and even did a test merge, which seems to go well. When deleting baseboards in TRS19 I hade to clean the boards of all track and scenery items like trees, that I wanted to delete, because it seems to often leave items up in the air after the baseboards are removed. In TRS22 using the multiple baseboard delete option, this is no longer an issue as far as I can see.

Overall performance seems a bit smoother too.

I might continue testing, but all current development will remain in the old version until it is out of beta and shows in general use to be stable..

The route I have been testing runs from Cumberland along the mountain sub to Fairmont about 100 Plus miles. No problems in TRS22.

It is worth some time to try it out regularly when updates are made, as I find it does minimize the learning curve once you start getting into it seriously.

Back