Translucent trains? Please help.

Wimselaar

Hello,

I experiencing a strange problem in Trainz ANE on the Mac, and can't find a solution. The trains and buildings are translucent. I recently reinstalled the game after which this problem occurred. A few months ago I also installed Trainz ANE on the same MacBook, and everything worked fine at that time.
The problem occurs also in Trainz 2019, I installed it recently in Steam, so that doesn't bring the solution, and so I asked a refund...
I started Trainz in safe mode (-save in Steam), but that doesn't help.

I'm using a MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2020, Four Thunderbolt 3 ports), with macOS Big Sur 11.1 and:
- 2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5 processor
- 16 GB 3733 MHz LPDDR4X memory
- Intel Iris Plus Graphics 1536 MB graphics card.

Can somebody help me to fix this? Thanks!

You might want to register your game here so you can access the DLC (download centre with 10,000+ free items). But unless I'm mistaken your video card is only 1.5GB. You need (from memory) 4GB minimum. By Trainz Ane (??) do you mean Tane? TRS19 is a completely different version so neither has an effect on the other. You would probably want to make sure your virtual memory is about 32GB as well. Someone else might have more specific info.

Remember, this might be a bot. He Joined today, has no registered trainz version, and hasn't been online since he posted.... So he might post a spam link.

Remember, this might be a bot. He Joined today, has no registered trainz version, and hasn't been online since he posted.... So he might post a spam link.
No, I'm not a bot, just a desperate user... It's correct this is my first post and my English isn't correct, that is because I am from The Netherlands, I apologize for mistakes in my English. I just registered my Trainz version, hope it is alright now.

I tried to change all the settings, de-install DLC's and reinstalled, nothing helps. I have used Trainz A New Era before on this Macbook, and than everything worked oke.

I made a screenshot:
https://imgur.com/a/sbTQax4

Many thanks in advance from The Netherlands and a better 2021!

Last edited:
Wow. That's odd... For some reason there seems to be some failure between foreground and background rendering, or I guess between objects in the foreground and the background. But the fence is also an object, so why is it getting priority over the loco?

Wimselaar - Welcome to the forums! And Happy New Year to you too.
Have you checked your System Memory in Activities Monitor? How much virtual memory is being allocated to T:ANE when it runs? Importantly; how much of the 16Gb of physical memory does your MAC show is being used to run the 1st tutorial in T:ANE - and how much disk space is allocated to swapfile ('page ins') memory access?
Does the OS run on a SSD or standard disk?
The tutorials set in Kickstarter County are notoriously demanding on your system. Does the same problem occur when you create a simple one-board route with a single track and locomotive placed thereon?
Part of the issue here of course will be the rather weak GPU on your MAC's integrated processor, so lower graphics performance settings will need to be used for T:ANE whenever there's not a discrete graphics card available.
See if setting it to run at a lower display resolution than the default for your MAC helps. Also, turn off 'Shadows' and set Post Processing to LOW or OFF.
Tot zeins!

Last edited:
No, I'm not a bot, just a desperate user... It's correct this is my first post and my English isn't correct, that is because I am from The Netherlands, I apologize for mistakes in my English. I just registered my Trainz version, hope it is alright now.

I tried to change all the settings, de-install DLC's and reinstalled, nothing helps. I have used Trainz A New Era before on this Macbook, and than everything worked oke.

I made a screenshot:
https://imgur.com/a/sbTQax4

Many thanks in advance from The Netherlands and a better 2021!
I'm sorry! No worries then.:)

Might be better in the Mac section? Perhaps one of the mods can shift the thread now the registration is sorted out.

@ Wimselaar you get full access to the forums on registering the Trainz version, it gets restricted if not, and welcome to the forum, your English looks fine to me.

Pretty sure I've seen another thread with this problem a while back, where are the Mac users when you need one?

Specs are OK for TANE albeit low end, was the previous install on Big Sur, which I believe should work or the previous OS, that could possibly have something to do with it, where are the Mac experts when you need one?

MAC

Minimum:

• CPU: Intel i5 2Ghz
  • GPU: Intel Iris or better with 1GB VRAM supporting OpenGL 3.3
  • Memory: 4GB
  • Hard Drive: 30GB Free Space
  • Internet connection required

Welcome!

No suggestions - I'm PC user , but your English is fine:-
Hope you can get a solution;

Happy New Year,

Coli

Thank you all for responding. Unfortunately changing the graphics adjustments didn't bring a solution. My Mac is great for the purposes I need, but not for gaming...

I posted the same question in the Steam Community users discussions and got a rather disappointing answer... The problem is causes by the driver for the Intel Graphics card. So fingers crossed for Apple to fix this.

[FONT=&quot]Hi Wvandomselaar[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Unfortunately this is being caused by the drivers for the Intel Iris graphics chips in the MacOS Big Sur update. As this is a driver issue, it will currently require an update from Apple to resolve this issue.[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Regards[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Zec[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]N3V Support

[/FONT]

Back