TransDEM owners: can you do me a favor?

Forgive me if i am wrong, but there have been many DEMs put up on the DLS over the years, some are gigantic , I was using one of the uintah at first but gave up as it has some issues. My point is, these were freely available to anyone who had a DLS access, so whats the difference if one person makes a DEM route for somebody else to use? Phil's potentially lost hundreds of sales if items made by his program are online, whereas hes only lost one in this case.

Those are MicroDEM TIGER to HOG-generated routes put up by user fishlipsatwork and others. They're okay for playing around with but highly inaccurate with railroad grades marked as going through hills far from the actual grade, and rivers not lining up with the actual river in the very low resolution DEM data. Don't get me wrong they're great for fun, but if anyone wants serious accurate terrain TransDEM is a must.

I agree that Roland stands to lose a number of sales if people made DEMs for free and posted, thus, my answer. Let him answer, which he did.

One answer to this problem could be for the OP to purchase a copy of Transdem, even though he can't use it. Then he could get someone else to make a DEM for him and there could be no objections because he has the rights to the product.
Cheers,
Mike

Or.
Use Parallels or Bootcamp or Virtual Box and install Windows on the Mac which should enable running Transdem.

Or.
Possibly it might work using Wine for Mac or one of the third party versions such as Wineskin, Winebottler, and PlayOnMac.

One answer to this problem could be for the OP to purchase a copy of Transdem, even though he can't use it. Then he could get someone else to make a DEM for him and there could be no objections because he has the rights to the product.
Cheers,
Mike
That seems like a fair solution, akin to buying a ticket to a steam fan trip and then chasing rather than riding the train--in any case the expenses of the promoter get paid for the enjoyment provided to the customers, whether riding or chasing.

--Lamont

Back