Trainz purchased on Steam - advantages/disadvantages

fattymoon

(Before I post, I apologize in advance if I chose the wrong forum for this. If a moderator wishes to move it, that's fine with me.)

First off, I'm quite new to Trainz. I purchased Trainz 12 at Steam after debating whether to purchase it or Railworks 2. I think it was someone on a forum here who helped me decide. He said (I'm paraphrasing) that Railworks 2 was a real-world simulator while Trainz was a model railroad simulator. My dad and I built a model railroad in the attic when I was 10 (I'm 64 now) so of course I chose Trainz. (I love real railroads too... in fact I live just a couple miles from some train tracks which run through Las Cruces, New Mexico.)

So... I've been playing Trainz 12 the past few days and having an absolute ball. Now comes the problem. Auran sent me a discount voucher for the Blue Comet and The Duchess. I thought to myself, how cool! So I purchased both and successfully downloaded but, when I attempted to install, it was a no-go. I sent Auran support my problem and Zek replied within hours (thanks for the rapid response, Zek!), noting that the Steam versions of Trainz "are only compatible with add-on packs purchased via Steam." He added that he would send my request for a refund to the shop admin.

OK then, there's a huge disadvantage... and, to the best of my knowledge, this fact is not posted on Steam, nor is it posted on Auran (unless I missed it). But, there's more... this being the case, does that mean that because I own a Steam version of Trainz that I'm excluded from the wealth of downloads here on Auran? This is of great importance to me, so I hope someone will be able to give me a definitive answer to that question.

Finally, are there any advantages to purchasing Trainz via Steam? (There's one I know of... apparently Trainz 12 is automatically updated... I noticed the build number jumped from 46957 to 47103.)

Thanks for listening, and for providing a great space for a great product!

He said (I'm paraphrasing) that Railworks 2 was a real-world simulator while Trainz was a model railroad simulator.

Sigh...this is a common attempt to mock Trainz and give the impression that it can't compete with Railworks, and it's a bunch of sh...aving cream!

At one time Trainz was intended to emmulate model trains, but that phase was short lived, and now Trainz can produce results that rival real life. Not by me, of course, but a trip to the screenshots forum will reveal very realistic compositions, especially by our friends across the sea.

You made the right choice though, so that's good, and as far as I know the Steam version should give you no trouble downloading content. The next step for you though is click on my banner to buy a First Class Ticket.

Welcome.

Hi fattymoon

The only add-on packs effected by this are those listed in our store. To be specific, the 'Murchison 2' pack, the 'Settle and Carlisle' pack, the 'Classic Cabon City' pack, the 'Treez' pack, the Blue Comet, and the Duchess class.

The Steam release of Trainz will have access to the download station.

Finally, are there any advantages to purchasing Trainz via Steam? (There's one I know of... apparently Trainz 12 is automatically updated... I noticed the build number jumped from 46957 to 47103.)

Thanks for listening, and for providing a great space for a great product!

My build id 47059. Wonder how Steam version jumped to 47103?

I agree with comments by Euphod.

As to automatic updating, I consider this a disadvantage. I prefer to have the choice of applying an update or not.

Doug

Zek, just to be clear, then, I'll have access to the download station, but, once I download, will I experience any problems installing onto the Steam version?

Just a thought but with add-on packs for routes that is, obviously the installer won't work with a Steam version but..........
As you can install as stand alone and with a normal version copy the ja files across and add the CD key to say 2010 or TS12, so would it not be possible to do that for a Steam version? Assuming of course you can get at the builtin folder and they haven't encrypted it as they seem to do for a lot of their downloads? Anyone tried it?

I, too, consider the automatic updating a major disadvantage, and the Steam version may not get all the updates anyway - it didn't get the TS2010 multiplayer beta, for instance.

You also have to bear in mind that, if Steam decides to stop supporting your version of Trainz at some point in the future, they can effectively turn it off.

My build id 47059. Wonder how Steam version jumped to 47103?

Trainz build numbers are one of the great mysteries in life. Like what do you say when the wife asks you if this dress makes her look fat.

I would guess that changes were made to make it work with Steam.

William

You guys are making me nervous.:eek:

Don't worry about it. Some people here love Steam and some don't. I've never had any trouble with it and I have close to 200 games through it. Just to be fair though, I've never bought a version of Trainz through Steam. I want it as soon as it is released by N3V and never wait for the Steam version.:)

William

Okay, I know Zek said that I'd have access to the download section. But, can someone please tell me whether I can expect any major problems installing to the Steam Trainz 12. I mean, I've read about all sorts of possible problems with downloadable content. I just want to know if installing onto a Steam game is going to cause even more problems. Ya see, I was born and raised on a Mac and only went to Windows a couple years back. I don't know very much about directories and such.

It should install fine. But if you are running Vista or Win7, run the installer as Administrator by right-clicking and selecting the appropriate option. Some also might recommend running the game and it's subcomponents (ContentManager, etc.) as Administrator as well, at least for the first time.

Edit: In light of wreeder's comment, let me clarify that I am talking just about the game itself above. The purchased addons are another issue entirely. I should also point out that there are some payware addons from third-party sites that could have an issue as well. I do not know if that's the case.

Last edited:
Okay, I know Zek said that I'd have access to the download section. But, can someone please tell me whether I can expect any major problems installing to the Steam Trainz 12. I mean, I've read about all sorts of possible problems with downloadable content. I just want to know if installing onto a Steam game is going to cause even more problems. Ya see, I was born and raised on a Mac and only went to Windows a couple years back. I don't know very much about directories and such.

Free stuff you download from the DLS or third party sites should install fine. The official add-on packs from N3V according to Zec won't work if you get them from the Trainz store. Most of these are also available through Steam for the Steam version of TS10 but I don't know if they will work with the Steam version of TS12.

Edit: This is really just a question of where the Steam Client will install the addons.

William

I compared prices of the Murchison 2 pack and the Settle and Carlisle pack... Steam wanted 10 bucks more than Auron, so I bought 'em here and just plan to use them as stand alones. Maybe some day I'll decide to get Trainz 12 from here and trash the Steam version. BTW, I dowloaded The Blue Comet from Steam. I wanted The Duchess too, but it's disappeared. I sent Steam an inquiry about it.

Last night I played with Murchison just to let off some steam hahaha!

I would say JustTrains is a good place to get it but for some reason they changed the name to Railway simulator (in the UK. Railroad in US).
With Just trains you get the point system as well as the proper updates.

I've just brought Trainz for Mac from here (downloading now). I got TS2010 from steam a while back but I had problems with the add ons from auran so you have to buy the add ons from steam although I had an email from Auran saying that the blue comet I got from Auran site should work now I just can't find it on my computer lol.

Yeah I would say justtrains.net is your best bet.:wave:

I would just add that the official add ons from Aruan don't work with Trainz for Mac at this time just in case I caused some confusion, course I mentioned Trainz for Mac.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pointer, Mordin. Just visited Justtrains.net but, unfortunately, they don't have The Duchess. I'm still waiting for a response from Steam as to why they stopped carrying it. Oh well, I've got plenty of other toys around the railroad yard.

At least in the past, the JustTrains versions of Trainz contain DRM (digital rights management) that require the user to have the CD/DVD in the drive to run Trainz, unlike Auran's versions, etc. I am not sure if this is still the case, but I would not take the chance.

Your best bet is to get Trainz directly from N3V via the Auran Shop, as then N3V gets all of the profits from the sale, instead of a middleman getting a share. And what is wrong with further supporting the developers of Trainz? ;)

Regards.

steam.gif

smiley-rolf.gif

Cheers David

Back