Trainz Plus vs Gold Class

Belzedar

I am a long time Trainz user just playing and enjoying the games. But now I want to get into content creation which the announcement of Surveyor 2.0 got me thinking about.

I envision creating content for my own use only.

So which product is best for me, Trainz Plus or Gold Class?

Thanks...Harlen

I'd say it depends on the price you are willing to spend each month / year and what benefits you want.

If you prefer access to only the Trainz games such as TANE, TRS19, and TRS22 along with other Trainz Plus features without the DLC's, then Trainz Plus will do.
If you want everything and I mean everything, then going with Gold would be a good choice as you get all of the Trainz games (TANE and newer), all of the DLC's, 2 week DLC previews, etc.
Both do comes with a First Class Ticket and will grant access to S2.0 so it really depends what all you want.

Cheers

If you spend any money at all for N3V DLC (Payware) then consider Gold as you get access to all Payware. My in game "Store" currently has about 60 routes to download and countless Loco's, trainsets, and rolling stock. (I have Gold.) You also get a nice store discount so, in theory, you could get Gold for about a month or two, buy what you want at discount, and then quit Gold. When you quit the subscription all the Payware content goes away but then you will have purchased outright what you really want at a nice discount. Obviously you keep what was purchased outright.

If you pay by yearly subscription it's about the cost of going thru the Drive Thru a couple of times a month. Much worth it to me. You learn much from all the varied routes. Some routes are old, but you can still learn a lot. Also, Tane sessions run better in Tane so it's nice to get a copy of Tane to use too. Tane sessions in TRS-19 tend to "break" - Signals stuck on Red, some crossing lights not working, etc. Better to run Tane sessions in Tane.

Hey, try it for a month just to check out all the content. I confess that I do have Gold/Plus primarily for the "Plus" feature though. I have several installs right now (see my signature.) I really look forward to getting the beta's and checking things out.

But having all the content is great too. If you install all the routes (I have a 2TB SSD just for content) then your chances of having "missing assets" when you download Freeware (DLS) is less. I have all routes installed in my "main" install. Beta installs have much less content but I can always check main install for any missing kuids for routes in those "lesser" installs.

Last edited:
I personally don't enjoy the idea of any subscriptions (except for the FCT since that is a must for a trainzer!) since I always prefer to actually buy things outright. Even if it means I have to pay every time I want another piece of content. Since I view getting the DLC via a subscription more like "renting" if you know what I mean. I.e. Stop paying for the sub, you lose the content. Where as by just buying each item outright you basically pay once and the item is (theoretically) yours to keep and use forever. I personally don't get my payware from the Trainz store. (unless that is the only outlet in some cases.) For example. I buy all my JR locos directly from the JR website as opposed to the trainz store offerings. That way they are typically DRM free which is the main reason I stay away from it. I only ever bought from TRS store just to get Season Town 2 since I had a route that required some ground textures from it. (Looking at getting SnC next since I know of freeware that needs stuff from that too.)

-snip-
Stop paying for the sub, you lose the content. Where as by just buying each item outright you basically pay once and the item is (theoretically) yours to keep and use forever. I personally don't get my payware from the Trainz store. (unless that is the only outlet in some cases.) For example. I buy all my JR locos directly from the JR website as opposed to the trainz store offerings. That way they are typically DRM free which is the main reason I stay away from it.)
-snip-

Hello, your points are valid and each person must decide their own case. For me, as long as I'm interested in Trainz I'll want the subscription and thus, I won't lose content. If I lose my interest in Trainz then what good is a route I own outright if I never use it? I won't care if it's gone. If interest comes back I'll start subscription again and there it is!. Just my own personal thinking. At 35 cents a day it's just worth it to me. And I'd want to have Plus anyway so to add Gold isn't that much more.

Your point about buying locos from JR directly is a good one and very valid. For me, it's not a decision breaker for a Gold subscription.

I use TRS19 virtually every day. Having all content is nice.

There is no right or wrong here. Only what "fits" the person best.

Back