Trainz in "Model Railroad Planning 2007"

JCitron

Trainzing since 12-2003
I picked up Model Railroad Planning 2007 at my bookstore today and it has a long article in which a model railroader made his railroad in Trainz first to check it out. Test-running your model railroad in cyberspace is a great article with some really nice screen shots. He did a nice job on the virtual version.

It's a publication from Model Railroader Magazine and can be ordered on the web here:

https://secure.kalmbach.com/AdvantageWeb/eCirc/Offer.aspx?PromotionCode=IF6CMP1

Way cool Ed, and Happy New Year!

I'll go over to the Trains forums and give a pitch on the virtues of Virtual Modelling. ;)

John

Your not the only one, I am using a layout a friend of mine made for geographic referencing whilst making an HO model of a certain railway station I very often took pictures and videos at.

WileeCoyote

This article got me to buy TRS06. I have read reviews of Trainz releases in gaming magazines and it seems to always get low scores. Reading an article from a modeler's view changed the way I felt about the sim enough to give it a try. Describing Surveyor got me wanting to try my hand at virtual modeling, sounds fun!

This article got me to buy TRS06. I have read reviews of Trainz releases in gaming magazines and it seems to always get low scores. Reading an article from a modeler's view changed the way I felt about the sim enough to give it a try. Describing Surveyor got me wanting to try my hand at virtual modeling, sounds fun!

It's really a trip! The author did neglect to let readers know that it's a work in progress and they'll run into some things to work around, and that more highly detailed routes need pretty strong machines. Also it needs a bit of a tweak from the video card for brightness, contrast, sharpness, etc.

But it is amazing and some of the free routes for download are masterpieces of art. I love to hook up the superliners with their interior views and look out the window at the train winding through the countryside.

You can change your internal view position from the presets using the arrow keys if you add this to the trainzoptions.txt file:

-FreeIntCam

It does put a little number readout in the lower left, as it's meant for developers.

It's then fun to move the viewpoint out in front of the engine -- it's like being on the front platform.

There are such great screen shot opportunities, and they make great desktops with a little tweaking for sharpness and gamma.

Hi all,

I bought the original Trainz, in the hope that I could plan out a small N gauge layout that I had had in my head for some time and which, on paper, seemed to work.

Having designed it in Trainz I realised it wouldn't work in the space I had available, so I scrapped the idea and stuck with Trainz - it's much quicker to get up and running and it's much easier to change a route if you don't like it.

Cheers

I know this is bring up a dead thread but I got the magazine today at waltmart where it was the last one there. And the guy really did a nice job and giving Trainz such a great review. I just wish he had sent his virtiual layout to the DLS for all of us.:rolleyes: Anyway I suggest anyone who doesn't know much about planning railroads to get this magazine it's really helpful. Also Auran and the crew have been in past other railroad magazines I have. But the best point I wanna point out is Trainz is the cheapest railroad planning tool out there.

To Auran and team: If you wanna stay on top try and keep up in other departments also like better AI,better graphics, and more referances in railroad magazines.

Back