Trainz drivable trailer trucks.

JonMyrlennBailey

They cannot be maneuvered as tightly as can real-world trailer trucks. The trailer tires follow the same path as the tractor tires unlike real-world trailer trucks. They take considerable space to turn and back up. They have to follow the convention of RR signals on the highway and they can be slow-poking on yellow even when the truck ahead is a mile away. They can only be but so close to an invisible lever in order to flip it. My trucks therefore have to pull up a ridiculous distance in order to back into a dock. If invisible track curves are too tight, these rigs will get hung up. These trucks have to swing stupid wide turns at intersections.

Last edited:
Seriously, if you want a truck simulator, drive a truck simulator. You are lucky to be able to "drive" trucks in a train simulator.

There are ways around these issues but that will require you to create your own truck trailers, or your own couplers and bogeys for the train-truck-trailers to move prototypically.

It was just an observation. No complaints. I just want self-moving trucks (and airplanes, and boats, and etc.) as scenery to move about my railway layouts. The rail vehicles, of course, are the center of attention in Trainz. I hardly even drive the trains themselves by hand anymore. AI does it all for me, you know, like We Do It All For You at McDonald's!! :cool:

Occasionally, I will take a ride (cab view) about the layout in a drivable truck cab, or other non-rail drivable vehicle, just to view the simulated railway world from a motorist's or pilot's point of view.

Last edited:
.. i sympathize your wish to have ai / selfdriving trucks in my scenery .. i did a test / observation somewhere in 2019 : difference between truck as a driveable "train" and as automatic part of a programmed road in a defined regio ..

.. i used it in my diorama heart2hendee : at the end of the vid it disappears in the same tunnel as the track (switch) / portal ..

Last edited:
They cannot be maneuvered as tightly as can real-world trailer trucks. The trailer tires follow the same path as the tractor tires unlike real-world trailer trucks. They take considerable space to turn and back up. They have to follow the convention of RR signals on the highway and they can be slow-poking on yellow even when the truck ahead is a mile away. They can only be but so close to an invisible lever in order to flip it. My trucks therefore have to pull up a ridiculous distance in order to back into a dock. If invisible track curves are too tight, these rigs will get hung up. These trucks have to swing stupid wide turns at intersections.

Complex invisible track to get the correct sweep when turning, could be built into intersections but would require a tranistion back to regular roads at the end. That would be the way I attacked it. I've been play with an airport try to get the correct swing.

Last edited:
Back