Trainz - Any good then?

frattonstation

Now its been out a couple of months and I've held off from buying it for the moment....are there any horrible bugs still in the game or have they been sorted?
I want to buy the surveyor edition is it better than the previous Trainz sims???

PS. where the hell can I buy the World Builder Edition as I cannot seem to find it anywhere for sale????

Last edited:
I've always thought that a railfan will enjoy any version of Trainz that's been released. Surveyor is the biggest selling point with TRS I think, building routes is very enjoyable.

I guess if there is a downside to Trainz is that, driving can become boring. I don't do an aweful lot of driving, only really when testing out a route, a reskin or a newly downloaded loco.

Trainz has always had issues, in 06 I can think of a few. The sound cuts out at times, very annoying as it does ruin a good driving session. Sometimes textures can go missing from routes. If you try to floodfill a lot of boards in succession, when you go back to check the textures, they will have disappeared to reveal the gridwork that you just filled.

The good points outweigh the bad points, I'd probably try and get TRS2006 first because of Paintshed, then go for TRS2009.

There will be people who'll come here and say "ohh Paintshed is outdated" or "Paintshed is useless". Don't listen to those people, I use PS and I quite enjoy it.

So I think I'd reccommend TRS2006 (If you can still get it) then go for TRS2009.

I bought TRS 2009 (WBE) a month ago from the Auran website:

http://www.ts2009.com/

I got the DVD edition rather than the download - same price (except for postage) and saved me having to make a backup copy of the master files. It was delivered in two days (I'm in the UK).

You can also try Google (Shopping) for "Trainz 2009" this lists a few retailers and you may find this cheaper. As far as I'm aware the only 2009 edition out at the moment is the World Builder Edition. "Versions" of Trainz can get confusing as the same product seems to be given different names and the DVD box is available with European and American pictures on the cover but, again as far as I am aware, you get the same content. In any case you can download extra content for free from Auran.

Personally I prefer 2009 to 2006, but then I don't use Paintshed (Paintshed is used for putting different liveries on locos and stock - I find there are plenty of these available for download).

2009 can be run in one of two modes "Native" which is technically better but has limited content available and "Compatability" which allows you to use content from earlier versions of Trainz. I'm running in compatibilty mode for now (until more 2009 native content becomes available for download).

I have found 2009 to be stable (touch wood), there are a few minor problems but then you will get these with any software. The build I have is 38411 which includes Service Patch (SP) 1. I believe SP2 is in Beta and there will be a free upgrade available for download sometime.

Hope this helps.

Back