Trainz 2019 Screwed Me Over Again!

Trainz Railroad Simulator 2019 has screwed me over again! How? It relocated it's install folder WITH ALL MY DOWNLOADED 3RD PARTY CONTENT AND GOLD SUBSCRIPTION DLC ON IT! Now I have to not only reinstall all the 3rd party content I had on it, but I also have to reinstall all the gold subscription dlc on it as well. This isn't the first time it's done this either. It's done this 10+ times last year, and this year it happened again to me today. I know for a fact I had nothing to do with it. I started it up and up came the graphics recommendations which are only ever there if it's your first time starting it, OR IT RELOCATED IT'S INSTALL FOLDER! Something has to be done about it because it's really annoying to see that all that 3rd party content and the dlcs have to be reinstalled and only a few dlcs didn't uninstall. It's freaking ridiculous and something needs to be done about it because this is the last damn straw and I refuse to go through it again. Why does it keep doing this? I only use my 4TB hard drive. I never use my C drive for my steam games. I did not do anything wrong. I just created a custom session a few days ago for one of the dlc routes. Now I have to reinstall EVERYTHING! Is there any way I can stop the install folder from moving to my C drive? IS there anyway I can prevent this tomfoolery?

I'm going to hazard a guess that it's something your system is doing & not Trainz. I have '19 and my content is installed on a different drive then C; and have never once had it relocate, delete, or loose my content.

Are the actual files getting moved or is Trainz just telling you it can't find it? If it's Trainz, then you should be able to relink the folder & do a database repair.

peter

IS there anyway I can prevent this tomfoolery?
>>
Yes. Firstly, Trainz does not uninstall anything, so I suspect you now have 10 local data folders with all your content installed.

1. Open the Launcher > Trainz Settings > Install tab
2. Navigate to the "Local data folder" path shown (you can copy and paste into a Windows Explorer window)
3. Navigate up one level and you will most likely see a number of build xxyyzz folders.

As to why you are getting a new folder regularly, this will happen if either the install folder of local data folder path changes. So in answer to your question, you find out how the path name(s) is(are) being changed. I can assure you it isn't Trainz doing it.

As Tony says above, locate your latest "local data folder" (build xxyyzz) on your computer. Then set your TRS19 app "Local Data folder" path to it.

The only thing that changes the path is if you happen to re-install the game again. It will create new user data folder for that new install. But I have never seen it change the path in an installed game unless it was ME doing the changing.

It would be wise to actually learn what is going on before you blame Trainz 2019/N3V in the title post.

I too have all of my Trainz files on another drive, E: in my case. When I install a new instance of Trainz, I have to tell it where to find those files since there is no way it would know where I put them, Without my intervention, it uses the default location since it has to put them somewhere.

While Trainz might have some issues, blaming it for such major file manipulation is giving it more credit than it deserves.

What I suspect is TRS2019 crashed severely enough to lose it's data path and the OP let TRS2019 create a new data-folder. This didn't occur once and has been an ongoing issue which makes me suspect that there's either a hardware issue, or perhaps this is self-inflicted such as not closing TRS2019 prior shutting down the computer before running Windows updates, or turning the computer off.

Like Martin and others, I keep my data on a separate drive and in my case it's also my E: drive. With the folder named TRS2019_DATA, I know exactly where the data should be should I need to reinstall the program. When that time comes, I very easily open up the install path in the settings and select that folder. Done and over with. With the database intact, I lose nothing and my login information along with everything else is intact.

Okay thanks guys. I think the problem is most likely on my end. I have done the following mistakes so maybe one (or many) of these mistakes may be the cause.

I have...

- Left my computer on for over a month (as in never turned it off for a month)
- Continuously installed 3rd party content
- Left the game open for months on end rarely ever closing it
- Opened/played other games while TRS2019 was open
- Spawned too many locos in rollingstock on routes I was playing on
- Closed routes without saving
- Become so impatient that I end up clicking on any TRS2019 tabs that are open while they're not responding (they fail to respond for about 1 minute then resume working again).

I think the list may go on for a little, but that's the most I can think of that comes to mind.

Back