Trainz 2012 Doppler effect

trex1094

So I have created a few custom horns but can't get the Doppler effect to work.
It simply stays at the same volume no matter how far I am.
even if other trains are on the route with the horn it still sounds loud even though they're
miles away. Anyone know why and can help.

You mentioned the Doppler effect, but seem to be talking about "volume". The Doppler effect has nothing to do with the "volume" or (more correctly) the Sound Pressure Level (SPL) of a given sound.

That said, both the auditory perception of the Doppler effect and the change in SPL of an approaching train do work in TS12 -- and here's an audio recording to prove it. ;)

The "peaks" (below) of that sound recording show how the SPLs increase as the train approaches.

(click image to view enlarged)

Last edited:
One thing to keep in mind: If a given train horn is (really) loud up close, it will still be (fairly) loud even a 1/2 mile away.

Sound intensity level decreases, with doubling of the distance, by −6 dB. Which means if you do the math: If a given train horn's SPL =120 db at 10 feet, then the horn's SPL = 72 db at 2640 feet (1/2-mile)

SPL = 120 db = ~volume of a rock concert, sitting on the front row (Really LOUD!)
SPL = 72 db = ~volume of vacuum cleaner running, at 3 feet (Still pretty loud!)

One thing to keep in mind: If a given train horn is (really) loud up close, it will still be (fairly) loud even a 1/2 mile away.

Sound intensity level decreases, with doubling of the distance, by −6 dB. Which means if you do the math: If a given train horn's SPL =120 db at 10 feet, then the horn's SPL = 72 db at 2640 feet (1/2-mile)

SPL = 120 db = ~volume of a rock concert, sitting on the front row (Really LOUD!)
SPL = 72 db = ~volume of vacuum cleaner running, at 3 feet (Still pretty loud!)

The Sound doesn't change at all what so ever even after the train has passed and no Doppler effect occurs

I would suggest you compare your modified assets against ones that do work in that case.

Shane

The only changes were made via explorer by simply changing out the audio files and renaming the horn
the config files were untouched. Simply replace horn_start horn_loop with the horn start and horn loop of my own. Overwrite the other ones. Horn works just no doppler of distance effects. So if I have a loco
and blow the horn from the exterior view. It's loud obviously, but let's say an AI is following me 4 miles behind me. And hits a horn trigger on the track when he blows it's sounds exactly the same as if I just blew it. Even though he's 4 miles behind me

In Trainz, you can hear a horn blow on a train that located 4 miles away. But you can also hear a train's horn 4 miles away in the real world.

"Volume" is a subjective term, that's virtually meaningless, since people have different abilities in regards to detecting relative "volume" of a given sound. A well-trained musician might be able to detect a difference of only 6 dB or 3 dB, but someone else might not be able to detect a 12 of 24 dB difference in sound, another person might not be able to detect a 48 dB difference in sound. And this is why its only meaningful to compare actual measurements of sound by an agreed upon standard, such as Sound Pressure Levels (SPL) measured in decibels (dB).

According to the laws of physics: A train horn that's ~120 SPL @ 10 feet will be ~54 SPL @ 4 miles. Whether or not a given human considers that (distance horn) to be "loud" (or not) is subjective. 54 SPL = ~ "volume" of someone speaking in a "normal speaking voice" @ 3 feet.

The Doppler Effect is related to relative speed, not volume.

As a train approaches a stationary observer the wave form of the horn is compressed, so the frequency (pitch) to a observer is higher.

As the train recedes the opposite applies, so the pitch is lower.

The effect is noticeable here (best watched full screen and in HD):

Listen to the pitch of the horn at 2:30. Then again at 3:05.

Phil

I don't know about the "horn triggers" specifically, but a Trainz' "soundscript" container can be set to defy the laws of physics via its "distance" setting, which allows the script writer to set the distance range from the source, in meters, in which a given sound is audible. In other words, you can setup a sound to be heard much further, and at a higher volume level, than it would be heard in the real world.

No. The doppler effect is the change in pitch as the sound approaches and then recedes. The higher the speed of approach the higher the pitch - the higher the speed at which it recedes, the lower the pitch.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doppler_effect

Meanwhile, if a train was blowing its horn while running on a perfectly circular track around you, the sound would always be the same distance away from the listener. Since there is zero radial velocity there would be no Doppler effect. ;)

Keywords: approaches, recedes

Back