Trainz 2009 is Ready for you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmmm....I thought I smelled popcorn. But the quote above now has the distinct odor of some banned users. Especially the spelling of...TONNY.
Let's see.... was it..Remillxxxxx or Zwaxxxxxxxx.
Sending $1.00 to Chereck and waiting for the show to begin.:)
Have fun,

I smell something also , and it is not popcorn :D !
Being banned does not seem to hinder one from simply reregistering under a different serial number , and carrying on with the same style of trolling . I believe I have 3 or 4 serial numbers I have not used .

My thoughts --- ,DLR

Fair point Meridious. No version of Trainz will ever give everyone what they want. Let me have another go at that phrase:

I believe TS2009 is the version that will give customers their best Trainz experience yet.

Is that better :)

I bought (and registered) the first ever version of Trainz after running a demo from a magazine cover disc. AI and signalling were very rudimentary then as only one train at a time was allowed between junctions. No matter how many signals you added it was still only one train so we had to add invisible junctions. From then on every new version, and sometimes service packs, have brought improvements. I see no reason why I should not expect the same from WBE, indeed some of the new features look great. The price is right too. I would think twice if the ask was £60+. Paint Shop Pro upgrades are nearer £100.

The first thing I did after buying Trainz was ditch MSTS. And now, several years later, there is still no train simulator that comes close to Trainz and we have to thank this steady evolution for that.

There are things that detract from Trainz WBE (AFAIC) so you are right to change what you said. I have mentioned some of mine and a solution. Marketing could be improved as MSTS still gets greater prominence in local computer shops when it merits none. I have yet to see Bill Gates another CEO (as was) respond directly to any criticism of that programme.

Les

Last edited:
Yes Tony, and I would agree with that.

I do apologize if my post sounded rude or derogatory. That was certainly not my intention.

Let's see.... was it..Remillxxxxx or Zwaxxxxxxxx.

Actually it could be someone else entirely, Z's profile is active not banned, seen it during this week. Just because there's one doesn't mean there's not more.:hehe:
TRS2009 appears to be getting Beta treatment better than any other Trainz product I've seen. I don't recall seeing as many Beta related topics during TRS2006/Classics testing and there wasn't a dedicated Dev site for them. That alone shows promise to me.

Oh man...this is great!

I've been away from here I don't know...since late 2005...I've resisted pulling down my old copy of TRS2004 and came searching for something new...and looks like I've found it!!!

So, for me coming 'home' from a LONG time away...is TRS2009 what I need to get?

Just being lazy and hoping for some inital guidance.

Thanks in advance,
Mop

I am sorry

To all of those who got a Offended by Quiebus specially Tony Hilliam I am very sorry.

sincerely JRT

Oh man...this is great!

I've been away from here I don't know...since late 2005...I've resisted pulling down my old copy of TRS2004 and came searching for something new...and looks like I've found it!!!

So, for me coming 'home' from a LONG time away...is TRS2009 what I need to get?

Just being lazy and hoping for some inital guidance.

Thanks in advance,
Mop
Yes it is exactly right for you!

llebrez....What ever your feelings are regarding Tony I am sure that if he was responsible for the loss of £13m that it wasn't your money that was lost so why not step down from your soap box before you fall??

I'm up for the popcorn too :eek:)

For the life of me, I cannot understand how people can make a final judgment on,and write off, something that as yet, does not exist as a finished product. I wish I could see into the future like that.;)

Regards Bruce

Well said Bruce !!

I'm not sure why you've singled out 2009 as an upgrade to 2004 since it is also an update to Trainz V1, V1.3, UTC, 2006, TC1,2&3. Just like Fifa (the biggest selling franchise of them all) we iterate and improve every year.

I think this is a great point Tony. I've played various EA Sports titles over the years, including FIFA, NBA, Madden NFL, and NHL (I am Canadian, after all). These titles are released yearly, and many times, each new edition is hardly more than a minor update over the previous edition. I'm not bashing those games, but in my view, each version of Trainz has delivered far more in terms of progress than any of these titles. At the very least, it's even with them.

I guess if people don't like the current way that Auran operates, you could always switch the the Microsoft model used for the original MSTS: Make one version of the game, provide almost no support or updates, and then wait almost ten years to make a new one. I wonder how the Auran-bashers would feel about that?

Patrick

Dunno when and where we first started comparing Auran with EA Sports or Microsoft?

As far as I am concerned, the main difference with Trainz was that the original developers - the Brew Crew - were all passionate railway enthusiasts!

As far as I am concerned, the main difference with Trainz was that the original developers - the Brew Crew - were all passionate railway enthusiasts!

Actually Sterrett, memories can be deceptive at time. Here are some of the key credits from the first edition of Trainz:

Brought to you by Auran and developed by the Brew Crew.

Coding:
Christoph Bergmann (now Lead Programmer)
George Allan (great coder/artist who would happily admit not knowing one end of a train from another)

Research:
Uncle Rob Shaw (still researching, and artifying)

Graphics:
of the 5 mentioned, only Uncle Rob was a train guy and he's still here.

Design:
Steve Middleton (making games with THQ - not a train guy)

Trainz Concept:
Greg Lane (he set the path and laid the groundwork for Trainz today, and of course had some grand plans with no real way to fund them)

Additional Programming:
Greg Douglas (still coding the graphics upgrades)

So today we have, in addition to half the original team, over 1,000 beta testers and of course James "Bloodnok" Moody as our resident train expert.

So apart from the fact that we all have 8 years more experience of what people are looking for in Trainz, we have greater experience today than we've ever had in the past.

Has anyone with the beta seen if the TC items and 06 items work side by side in the game? I was wondering how easy it is to get previous games content to work in 09.

Hi thallium,
I have imported a map that I am building in TRS2004 into TS2009. The only problem I have is missing items, but I can run trainz on the map and they seem to behave themselves quit well. The main problem is importing all the assets used in the map BEFORE you import the map. To do this I created a new folder on the desktop, named it TRANSFER and put all the assets required into this folder, then open TS2009 CMP and select import content.
Highlight everything in the folder and presto, well not quite presto it takes a little time. Once you have all the required assets installed then import the map. The same procedure will work with rolling stock. Some items will show as faulty, you can have a go at fixing them or you can just ignore them for now and fix them later.

Cheers,
Bill69

Last edited:
Ah well, since people have popcorn and soda ready and you gave me a number of reasons for your stance on 2009, I'll give you some responses Qieubus.

Fury was a different time and place with different objectives. I have admitted in the past that as CEO I was ultimately responsible. Trainz 2009 couldn't be more different to Fury in terms of scale and length of development. Trainz has been "in development" since 2000 and has a large customer base with detailed knowledge of what they'd like improved in their rail simulator of choice.
And getting rid of me is going to be really hard since I happen to be the major shareholder of Auran :)

I'm not sure what you're referring to, but I believe TS2009 is the version that will give customers everything they want and need. We are building upon a very solid base and will be releasing regular free updates on our way to making Trainz 2010 and beyond.

I totally agree that a few months just isn't enough to build a simulator from scratch. But we've had 3 years since 2006 was released and TS2009 incorporates not just the first 5 years development but alos the last 3 years of Classics features. I'm not sure why you've singled out 2009 as an upgrade to 2004 since it is also an update to Trainz V1, V1.3, UTC, 2006, TC1,2&3. Just like Fifa (the biggest selling franchise of them all) we iterate and improve every year.

Actually $30 + $30 = $60 which is 20% more than $50 not double (all major releases have been $50 since 2001).
With a pre-order discount of 20% on TEE it's basically the same price as one full priced release.
2009 does have all the previously releasd content but it also has features. Are you assuming that TEE has no new content?

We're really only splitting up the release of 2009 into two parts. Once TEE is out everyone is really on the same platform. To get new content you really need the new platform and so that's why we're releasing WBE months before TEE.

The in-game browser has had less than one person for less than half the development cycle. This makes it less than 10% of the development effort. You are right that I do decide what goes in or not, but you're wrong about the customers having no say in the matter. There are many threads involving customer input into the design features and more detailed terrain and texturing was far and away the major feture request.

It doesn't sound like you're prepared to give me a second chance at all. Your mind is made up that 2009 will be a disaster and it is all down to my handling of Fury. I can't figure out that logic at all. It's not like Fury is the first MMO to go down - Hellgate London, made by the team that made Diablo II and with a rumored $25M marketing budget also failed in the same space of time. Does that make their CEO Bill Roper your enemy too?

You don't need to trust my word, but instead become involved in the Beta test, give feedback and see what happens. Instead you choose to have your Beta serial number published on these forums. I can only assume that you know Remilliard (aka Zwabbaraar) who also has some major issues with my "word". Perhaps the two of you need to consider your motivations for staying around these forums.

I also notice that you have never registered a version of Trainz so it's interesting that you have such stong opinions about a product when you have never used the download station or, for as much as we know, purchased a copy of the game.

If you feel you have something constructive to say, then by all means continue. If you wish to question my integrity further then I'm not interesting in listening.

In summary, you feel that because Fury failed and I'm still in charge, TS2009 will fail too. I beg to differ and one of us wil be right :)

Tony

And getting rid of me is going to be really hard since I happen to be the major shareholder of Auran
Is it really? Auran doesn't have a board of directors that checks the decisions to be made? Being a major shareholder doesn't make you a good CEO. The board of directors should have kicked you out of the decision making process regardless the number of shares you hold. Shareholders are usually ( just )investors NOT ceo's ( by definition).
I totally agree that a few months just isn't enough ...
A yearly upgrade doesn't make it the ultimate "great" game. It makes it a money machine for the big shareholders. THAT is what the fifa franchise is. Thank you for being honoust about making Trainz a money machine instead of a good game.
I'm not sure what you're referring to, but I believe TS2009 is the version that will give customers everything they want and need. We are building upon a very solid base and will be releasing regular free updates on our way to making Trainz 2010 and beyond.
You keep believing that. I will await the real verdict when it is released and I do hope you realize there will be no 2010 version if this one bites the dust.
Actually $30 + $30 = $60 which is 20% more than $50 not double
You aren't really this dumb are you? Try again. You can do it. You are the CEO.
It doesn't sound like you're prepared to give me a second chance at all
You don't deserve a second/third chance after the way you handled your TC3 customers. I don't care about other companies CEO's. I care about your lack of skill in handling the company that makes the only game I care for; THAT makes you my enemy because this game could be a lot more then it is under your command.
You don't need to trust my word, but instead become involved in the Beta test, give feedback and see what happens.
Is beta testing to only way to help make a better game? If that is what you believe then you shouldn't be a CEO. I am not responding to this inane type of reasoning by auran anymore.
I also notice that you have never registered a version of Trainz
Is it mandatory to register the game with the same handle as the forum handle? It isn't so stop insinuating I don't own the game. As you have quessed Remilliard and zwabberaar are my brothers. Like mestkevretje is a brother and ijzersmidt is a brother. One big happy family. Grow up mister ceo.
If you feel you have something constructive to say, then by all means continue. If you wish to question my integrity further then I'm not interesting in listening.
I don't have to question your integrity. You have done an excellent hob yourself in that department by screwing over the TC3 people and their customers. You are a thief.
In summary, you feel that because Fury failed and I'm still in charge, TS2009 will fail too. I beg to differ and one of us wil be right
Wrong. You don't know what I feel. I think you are a lousy ceo because of how you handled Fury and TC3 and now ts2009. It is the consumer that is right not you or me. That is one of the major flaws in your reasoning and ultimately the reason why fury failed.

Quiebus it is clear you really hate Trainz, Auran, and Tony. so why don't you just move over to MSTS 2 when it is out. I don't think you will ever be happy here. You could always sell your copy's of trainz & get some of your money back that way..

Anybody have an popcorn left?

My two cents:
Obviously you've never run a software development company.

Quote:
You don't need to trust my word, but instead become involved in the Beta test, give feedback and see what happens.
Is beta testing to only way to help make a better game? If that is what you believe then you shouldn't be a CEO. I am not responding to this inane type of reasoning by auran anymore.

Beta testing plays a big part in any software development cycle. Microsoft, Apple, Adobe and other companies use it just as Auran does for their programs. This is the way that the develpers can test the code that they wrote. They use this to look for feedback to find interface problems that, even though they followed a specification, may not work as conceived originally on paper. They use this period to find major mistakes that go beyond what was found during the ALPHA testing period. The Beta testing period is cyclicle until major errors are hopefully eradicated. Once the most obvious errors are repaired, then the product goes to release candidate stage. Without the extra sets of eyes looking over the program during the development cycle, the program would take forever in development. The more eyes there are to look for errors, the fast the product can come to market, and the more errors are found in the process.

Quote:
Is it mandatory to register the game with the same handle as the forum handle? It isn't so stop insinuating I don't own the game. As you have quessed Remilliard and zwabberaar are my brothers. Like mestkevretje is a brother and ijzersmidt is a brother. One big happy family. Grow up mister ceo.

So what's wrong with this? This keeps people from pirating the product. If you register it once, it can't be shared if the product is to be used to its fullest capacity that includes the online aspect of this program. This is no different than Microsoft requiring software key be sent back for registration so that Windows doesn't expire. Adobe does the same thing, and so does Quark, both of these latter applications are worse. They phone back home and squeal on you if you put two copies of the same registered program on two different machines in the same place.

Obviously you have something against Auran. They are doing things no differerent than any other small company, which by the way is a private company, and doesn' t need a board of directors to operate.

The other thing too. Fury was one of many MMO games out there, and like many of them, this one didn't make it. There are two major programs out there already, World of WarCraft and one other one that I can't remember at the moment. These dominate the playing field, and there are just so many users of this genre out there as well as just so many hours in the day.

In summary grow up and get over it. Life is worth a lot more than being childish over a computer program. If you really don't like Auran or Trainz, you don't have to be here. Go play in your own sandbox and take your pails and shovels with you.

John

Quiebus it is clear you really hate Trainz, Auran, and Tony. so why don't you just move over to MSTS 2 when it is out. I don't think you will ever be happy here. You could always sell your copy's of trainz & get some of your money back that way..

Don't be daft Paul. I LOVE trainz and because of Tonny's way of doing business I HATE him. I am only one of the very few who dares to call him out on it.

Anybody have an popcorn left?

My two cents:
Obviously you've never run a software development company.

Quote:

Beta testing plays a big part in any software development cycle. Microsoft, Apple, Adobe and other companies use it just as Auran does for their programs. This is the way that the develpers can test the code that they wrote. They use this to look for feedback to find interface problems that, even though they followed a specification, may not work as conceived originally on paper. They use this period to find major mistakes that go beyond what was found during the ALPHA testing period. The Beta testing period is cyclicle until major errors are hopefully eradicated. Once the most obvious errors are repaired, then the product goes to release candidate stage. Without the extra sets of eyes looking over the program during the development cycle, the program would take forever in development. The more eyes there are to look for errors, the fast the product can come to market, and the more errors are found in the process.

Quote:

So what's wrong with this? This keeps people from pirating the product. If you register it once, it can't be shared if the product is to be used to its fullest capacity that includes the online aspect of this program. This is no different than Microsoft requiring software key be sent back for registration so that Windows doesn't expire. Adobe does the same thing, and so does Quark, both of these latter applications are worse. They phone back home and squeal on you if you put two copies of the same registered program on two different machines in the same place.

Obviously you have something against Auran. They are doing things no differerent than any other small company, which by the way is a private company, and doesn' t need a board of directors to operate.

The other thing too. Fury was one of many MMO games out there, and like many of them, this one didn't make it. There are two major programs out there already, World of WarCraft and one other one that I can't remember at the moment. These dominate the playing field, and there are just so many users of this genre out there as well as just so many hours in the day.

In summary grow up and get over it. Life is worth a lot more than being childish over a computer program. If you really don't like Auran or Trainz, you don't have to be here. Go play in your own sandbox and take your pails and shovels with you.

John

And here we have another dumbschtick. I HAVE REGISTERED THE BLOODY GAME! I just used a different account name then Quiebus.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back