Trainz 2004 won't start

Status
Not open for further replies.

elliskev

I bought Trainz 2004 ?Deluxe? as a Christmas gift for my son. The install went fine, but the thing won't run.
I get a fatal error window referencing KernelStandard.dll
I've done my google research. I have build 2365 (I think that's the number - the latest, as far as I can tell). I have updated my video driver (I have an ATI Radeon XPress 200). I've tried running in every compatibility mode.
Hoping someone can help me!

My strongest advice, is to drop off an inquiry to the Auran helpdesk, at www.auran.com/helpdesk and explain your problem. Try to include as much information as you can (example, Trainz Build: 2365, and a copy of your Direct X diag information (go to start->run->dxiag, save that to, say, your desktop and attatch that file. If you don't mind, can you also see if you can send to them, a copy of your Trainz Jetlog.txt file, located in the root directory of your installation of TRS2004, in this example, (C:\ Program Files \ Auran \ TRS2004\). I may be wrong, but I do not know if your video card will support TRS2004, but as I am only a user of this program, I strongly advise contacting the helpdesk and I'm sure, they can be of much more help than I possibly can :)

Hello and welcome to Trainz!

When you run trs2004 from the desktop, do you get the initial screen with Launch Trainz, Configure Trainz, Download Station, etc? If you do, click on configure trainz and

On the planet auran tab ensure the username and password are entered.
On the display Settings tab ensure that you have selected DirectX - you will not be able to use OpenGL on this card!
Ensure your resolution is 1024 by 768 with 32 bit depth
On the Tuning Settings tab, you will want to turn some of these down as your graphics call will not have the power to give full details. This will be trial and error
On the Advanced Options tab you may want to reduce the texture quality to low and depending on the amount of ram and hard drive space push the resource cache size as high as possible (you will have to experiment) and I'm not sure but on the old forum this card was mentioned and think that person had to use the Ground Polygon Offset.

I fairly certain it is the OpenGL causing the problem. Make sure you have downloaded and installed the latest Directx 9 from microsoft as well.

Hope this gets it going

Brian

Thanks for the quick responses. I'll play around with it some more and try the helpdesk if I'm still having problems.

Again, thanks.

I've recieved a reply from the helpdesk. I have to admit, I'm not very optimistic...

Too bad. I was looking forward to giving this a try. My kids really like MSTS. I've seen some of the features of Trainz 2006 and I think they'd enjoy it a lot more. I picked up TRS2004 on the cheap to give it a whirl with plans of moving to 2006 if they liked it. I'm glad I did...

hi,

Can you post your DxDiag results to here specifically the following:

Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: HP Pavilion 061
System Model: DF253A-ABA A250N
BIOS: BIOS Date: 08/27/04 11:09:23 Ver: 08.00.09
Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.60GHz (2 CPUs)
Memory: 1024MB RAM
Page File: 515MB used, 1945MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6600
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.9371 (English)
Description: Realtek AC97 Audio
Driver Version: 5.10.0000.6160 (English)

Forgot to mention that the forum does have a support forum for TRS2004.

HTH

Dave

Last edited:

Unfortunately, those who registered after Auran went on holiday can't see that section :(

Helpdesk say they've forwarded the problem to the forum administrators though, so hopefully sorted by tomorrow :)

Operating System: Windows XP Professional
(5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 2 (2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: EMACHINES
System Model: T6524
BIOS: Phoenix - Award BIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3500+, MMX, 3DNow, ~2.2GHz
Memory: 894MB RAM
Page File: 545MB used, 1621MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.2180 32bit Unicode
Card name: MSI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series
Manufacturer: ATI Technologies Inc.
Chip type: ATI RADEON XPRESS 200 Series (0x5954)
Display Memory: 128.0 MB
Driver Name: ati2dvag.dll
Driver Version: 6.14.0010.6601 (English)
Description: Realtek AC97 Audio
Driver Version: 5.10.0000.5830 (English)

HTH

Dave

For some reason that forum is not available to me...

Thanks for taking the time.

Last edited:
This should fix your problem. ATI Xpress 200M drivers seem to always be missing something important to Trainz.
1. Go Here
2. Click on the link labeled Display Drivers (underneath it says 1 of 4)
3. Download the file
4. Install

and you should be good to go :)

This should fix your problem. ATI Xpress 200M drivers seem to always be missing something important to Trainz.
1. Go Here
2. Click on the link labeled Display Drivers (underneath it says 1 of 4)
3. Download the file
4. Install

and you should be good to go :)

Thanks. Ive DL'd the whole Catalyst suite. I'll give it a shot.

Unfortunately, those who registered after Auran went on holiday can't see that section :(

Helpdesk say they've forwarded the problem to the forum administrators though, so hopefully sorted by tomorrow :)

Well, I FINALLY got updated today, as you can see in my posts.

Another thing that came to mind is that your sound card drivers have been updated as well. See here

HTH

Dave

Well, I've upgraded my video driver and my audio driver. I've tried OpenGL and DirectX (latest update). I've tried running with minimal settings. I've reinstalled (with Norton Antivirus off). My memory is good. My HDD is good. I'm up-to-date on all Windows updates and antivirus updates. Nothing works.

I'm ready to throw in the towel.

Thanks for the suggestions, though. It is appreciated.

WHOA!!!

Spoke to soon. I tried running under Windows 98/ME compatibilty (tried before with no success) and it worked! Must be a combination thing.

Trainz 2004 won't start On Windows 11

Recently I have reinstalled the game but it won't actually load for me. I get the menu where it says Click Launch to play, but when I click it nothing happens. I've tried the compatibility modes like Windows 98 /Windows 7

Either register that old game to this account or login to your old account so you can post in the related support forum.
Don't start kicking 16 year old topics.
If you have trouble with that, contact the helpdesk.

Even better:
Pickup a free version of 2009. Probably easier to get working.
http://ts2009.trainzportal.com/free/

Locking this topic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back