track spacers?

:wave: Greetings Mike,

Thank you for the good info and Kuids. One of things I like to do when possible is have my Tracks spaced evenly, wherever it makes sense too.

Remember, in UK practice at least, multiple track spacing is not even. A pair of tracks have a "6-foot" between them, which is more or less a track spacing of 3.5m in Trainz. Any other track (or pair of tracks with their own 6-ft) must have a "10-foot" spacing from this pair - I use a 5m spacer in Trainz.

Hi;
I am looking for an easy (and quick) method of aligning multiple tracks to keep them at a set distance apart.
I have installed a set of spacers that work very well, but they require that I break the track and insert them as track sections.
Is there anything that is just an object or a tool that I can place (and remove after tracks have been aligned) to accomplish this?

Thanks
CP

The only track object tool I use to lay parallel trackage is:

<kuid2:104001:60359:2> OL-Auslegertool

This item's main purpose is to help with catenary height, but it also has a ruler sticking out just below railhead height and perpendicular to the track it is on, so you can simply lay the next track at your required distance using this ruler. I find this method produces visually acceptable results quite quickly. Just wash rinse and repeat for multiple tracks.

Last edited:
Whenever I need to keep two or more tracks at a constant spacing, one of the things I use is a little "Guide 5t 5m spacing" KUID2: <KUID2:70337:23002:4> The center disk attaches to the track and the two disks on either side are at 5m and 10m distances. These four don't attach to the tracks. The tracks are visually aligned with the disks. As you can see, the middle track is correctly aligned. The right most track is not. I would have to look down vertically and carefully move the spline circle to get the track correctly aligned. The guide itself is attached to he left most track. There is also a version with 4m spacing, "Guide 5t 4m spacing" KUID2: <KUID2:70337:23015:2>
TANE 93104 guide5.jpg
They are Surveyor only objects so don't appear in Driver.
TANE 93104 guide5 in driver .JPG

Remember, in UK practice at least, multiple track spacing is not even. A pair of tracks have a "6-foot" between them, which is more or less a track spacing of 3.5m in Trainz. Any other track (or pair of tracks with their own 6-ft) must have a "10-foot" spacing from this pair - I use a 5m spacer in Trainz.

For those of you who understand German or are prepared to risk a translator, you can download the following from www.ot2007.de

tb_qtw_A02_60 - Quertragwerk für 2 Gleise, 12m Mast, Ausführung A (kuid:42778:11558)
tb_qtw_A03_60 - Quertragwerk für 3 Gleise, 12m Mast, Ausführung A (kuid:42778:11557)
tb_qtw_A04_60 - Quertragwerk für 4 Gleise, 12m Mast, Ausführung A (kuid:42778:11550)
tb_qtw_A05_60 - Quertragwerk für 5 Gleise, 12m Mast, Ausführung A (kuid:42778:11551)
tb_qtw_A06_60 - Quertragwerk für 6 Gleise, 14m Mast, Ausführung A (kuid:42778:11552)
tb_qtw_A07_60 - Quertragwerk für 7 Gleise, 15m Mast, Ausführung A (kuid:42778:11553)
tb_qtw_A08_60 - Quertragwerk für 8 Gleise, 16m Mast, Ausführung A (kuid:42778:11554)
tb_qtw_A09_60 - Quertragwerk für 9 Gleise, 16m Mast, Ausführung A (kuid:42778:11555)
tb_qtw_A10_60 - Quertragwerk für 10 Gleise, 18m Mast, Ausführung A (kuid:42778:11556)

They can be found under:

FREE DOWNLOADS/
Das "neue" Fahrleitungssystem von Trainbernd und OpAmp/
Quertragwerke für Trainz

then 'Datei Herunterladen'

You need to download the following two files separately: (Each time you will have to correctly enter the puzzle letters to download)

http://www.ot2007.de/WDL/ol/Quertragwerke_6.0m_1.5.cdp - the objects
http://www.ot2007.de/WDL/ol/B07-Quertragwerke- 1.4.1.pdf . the instructions - in German only as far as I know, but to just use them for track spacing should be obvious enough after pressing the '?' in Surveyor

They are actually the catenary masts used for spanning multiple tracks, but they have markers for each track position. They can be customized to have variable spacings between each track between approx. 3.5m and 6m. ie a mix and match track spacing.

I hope these are of help to some of you :)

Regards

Mike

PS.

I should have mentioned that they will probably show up as faulty in TS12 and TANE, but they seem to work OK for me.

Regards Mike

The late Andi06 made a series of way gauges in his JK junction series for TR2004 for two and three tracks and UK and US spacings.
When I read your post "The late Andi06..." I was shocked, and then kind of embarrassed to have not known of his passing back in 2016. I guess that says something about my activity with Traniz, and this forum. Andi06 contributed so much to the Trainz community. I used his junctions extensively until T:ANE with its "procedural junctions" was released. We still don't have the versatility that the JK junctions provided - selectable sleepers, rails, etc. So far as I know T:ANE has only one track that allows the procedural junctions, but again - I haven't been watching the boards until recently, so there is probably a lot more that I have missed over the past couple of years.
I will certainly check out the JK way gauges.

.... So far as I know T:ANE has only one track that allows the procedural junctions, ....
a bit off-topic, but there are quite a few tracks that are procedural in TANE and on the DownLoad Station by now. Amazing what else you can find on the DLS these days and all given by fellow Trainzers for our enjoyment.

After all said and done, I think the best method is by eye alone. After using the track spacer once, I see where the spline points are with respect to parallel tracks, and placing (moving) splines becomes much easier, and by eye alone I get them very close to perfectly parallel.
Viewing many multi-track mainline from bridges, I see that even prototypical routes are not perfectly aligned in some areas. For one reason or another the separation between tracks varies. While they do not vary left and right over short distances - which would make for a very unstable ride at high speeds - the track separation does vary over longer distances.
I would think though, that any track laid today, with all of the laser alignment tools available, tracks would be more or less perfectly aligned.

That said, about 20 years ago I observed Conrail re-aligning a passing siding. When I asked one of the workmen why the tracks needed to be moved, he told me that when the siding had been extended (by 2 miles), the track was laid too close to the main track, and there had nearly been a collision.
I found it difficult to believe that with their laser alignment tools that they hadn't got it right the first time. You would think that a class 1 railroad wouldn't make mistakes like that... But apparently they did.

Have the standards have changed since then? Or Perhaps more cargo is pushing right up to the loading gauge causing near misses. Better safe than sorry.

You could try one of the following, depending on how many tracks and spacing you require:
<kuid:42778:3322> DFLS Tool qt650

They are intended for use aligning overhead catenary systems, but are very useful for aligning parallel tracks also. They cover the range 4.0m to 5.0m and are trackside objects so can easily be attached and deleted without moving or altering tracks.

Regards

Mike

Thanks, these are great. I just DLd the DFLS Tool qt650 and experimented. Perfectly laid two tracks and a fence. Quick and easy. Would also be great for power lines running alongside tracks.

ETA: On the DLS they show as type misc but when they are downloaded they, correctly, install as track objects.

Last edited:
Measuring from Google Earth, the Northeast Corridor in Hamilton, New Jersey has 4 tracks. They look to be 12 feet from center to center. That is a fairly high speed passenger route. The section I measured was a straight section.

A nearby freight yard look to be about 15 feet center to center.

It probably depends on a lot of factors like speed of traffic, curves or straight, how dense the population and buildings are (city vs open prairie) and is likely to vary from place to place.

A lot depends on the era it was built too. There's no right or wrong answer really as long as it looks right to you. I too used GE to measure when building routes. Zoom in so the square they give you for a target fits precisely between rails (or line up the crosshair with a rail) and measure over to the next. I measure in meters because that's what the spacers I use are, even though I'm in the US (saves a conversion step), then round to the nearest 4m or 5m increment. (There are places on mine where there's an old track missing between two current tracks). I've been using <kuid2:70337:23015:2> guide 5t 4m spacing and <kuid2:70337:23002:4> Guide 5t 5m spacing by martinvk which are trackside objects that throw two dots with target circles to each side of the current track. Move your camera to an overhead view and lineup the yellow dot inside the black circle, then center your spline point inside. It sounds complicated but its one of the easier methods I've found, and unlike the solid scenery style items it doesn't end up with a random straight piece in the middle of your curves, or having to remove them and keep your alignment.

The other thing to remember too is not all tracks are straight as an arrow, you do end up with some wiggle over a distance, so I don't worry about aligning them to the circles too perfectly, but close enough to maintain the spacing.

I use Martin's spacers as well and then mostly align the spline circles against the rails. There's some wobble, but it beats the squared off curves because of fixed track spacing guides (scenery) ones.

Where I live the spacing varies between 3.5 to 4.5 because our lines were built in the late 1820s to 1840s time frame. The closer spacing is found in tunnels and under bridges.

You're welcome. Another thing to keep in mind is whether or not you plan on using any signals between the tracks. While you can modify the distance away from the track via a line in the signal's config.txt, most seem to fit well between 5 meter track centers. There are exceptions, but 5 meters seems to be what most signals (dwarf and pole) are created for.

Thanks for your help but I am just trying to make a track spacing tool and I will of course upload it to the DLS. It is 5 years or more since I used GMax and I am struggling a little with it at the moment. I am hoping it all comes back to me.
Regards
Ian

<KUID:106916:10328> PRR Track Guide-by gfisher-A guide for laying out four track Pennsylvania Railroad mainline set at 13 foot spacing center to center (or from outside rail, to adjacent outside rail). It is a scenery item.

13' = 3.9624 m

So 4 m track spacing guides would be pretty much a standard way gauge

In Yards, where more clearance was needed for workers to get in there, 4.5 m to 5 m is about as wide as it gets

I have worked in uncomfortable freight yards, where 4 m is so close, that fat railworkers can not fit even sideways, and have to duck, and crawl below the railcar car sides

https://www.google.com/search?q=fee...ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-US:IE-Address&ie=&oe=

Static-Building-Scenery asset rotatable track spacers (guides) are absolutely no good for nothing, unless they are converted to become a trackside asset, that actually locks on, and clicks onto at least one adjacent track

A good alternative is to get directly (precisely) above the outside rail, zoomed in, and slide adjacent rail spline point circle just so that they slightly touch the end of the adjacent rail tie

Last edited:
Back