Too Many Connections - Asset Error"

Good discussion boys, but this has been going on for years. My ISP gives me 70mbp/s and doing the usual online speed checks confirms it is never much lower than 64mbp/s.

Any time of day and day in the week. Now i believe i am correct in saying, divide that by 8 to give me roughly 8MB/s, the speed i attain quite often on the net when downloading files.

The fastest speed i have seen on the DLS is around 2MB/s and that was only for minutes, not a sustained period. Plus it was a few years back, with an FCT not a membership plan.

On the plus side i had a very nice email earlier from Paul on the help desk. Explaining the delay to my query, Zec has covid (get well soon). So short staffed and not their fault.

But still did not explain why i did not have access to two items. Explaining they were Preview pass items. But with Gold membership i believe i have access to that feature.

Tell me i am wrong if i am by all means.

Grabbed the Bitmeter2 software thank you Malc.

Mike.

1 Mbps = 0.125 MB/s
70 Mbps = 8.75 MB/s

So divide by 8 is close enough.

The not working Preview pass stuff? Just had a look at MyTrainz and it says there:

GOLD MEMBERS PREVIEW PASS
There are currently no previewpass items active.
Which probably explains why they don't work, in which case why are they listed in the Content Store? :confused:
Would seem to a communication problem somewhere. Shouldn't have to look in two places and get different answers.:n:

No idea then Malc, thank you. I will just be patient and see what transpires.

I didn't know about the difference between mb/sec and mbp/sec before last year. :confused:

Saw an article online about it and the convertion method.

Thank you.

EDIT. Route shows up in the content vault now. But reports unavailable for download. The loco pack which is the one i was more interested in, does not show up anwhere for download.

Mike.

Last edited:
Just had to clear out my TRS22 install as i messed it all up, swapping and deleting\installing assets.

Trying to get one of the Australian routes back in with all the DLS dependencies. Bloody download speed is 4 - 5kb/s and has been for over an hour. Too many connections, too many connections.

I am paying Gold membership for this rubbish, which includes an FCT. It's an absolute rip off, there should not be "too many connections".

For a paid for download service.

Something weird is going on as I have changed my password 1/2 hour ago and now logging into ts2022 with new password is hanging the complete game? I have also noticed even though I am a gold member also that the dlc server is much slower than the dls server in terms of download speed and also that not all dlc is available even though it says it is on the blurb for gold membership.

Thanks John, It has messed my game up now and is doing both a building asset database and updating asset translations at the same time. so that will be a few hours I will not get back again !

Thanks John, It has messed my game up now and is doing both a building asset database and updating asset translations at the same time. so that will be a few hours I will not get back again !

Well, that's lousy. That's going to take awhile!

N3V probably has a specific max number of connections it has paid for. The ISP may also have an overall limit on max concurrent throughput (BPS). That would also be a "you get what you pay for arrangement". There may be more than one set of these limits depending on time of day which is another costing parameter.

I tried downloading some assets this morning (about 11.30 UK time) but it was painfully slow because my FCT had ran out last night. I duly stumped up for an FCT but have been unable to download anything since I activated it since there are apparently "Too Many Connections" and its now 17.30. What can I do ? I've paid for something I cannot use. It seems unreasonable to suppose that Trainzers have been clogging up the servers for 6 hours now.

It is more likely an attack maybe a brute force attack trying to guess usernames and passwords. The DLS is just an FTP server process running on a larger server. Each time a connection is attempted a new instance of the ftp daemon is started by the host. There is a limit to how many concurrent connections are allowed. The issue is often the attacker fails to properly close the attempted connection which means the instance of the FTP daemon stays open waiting for a second attempt at getting the username and or password correct, so the connections reach the limit and no one can connect. After a certain amount of time the host will kill the connection but if the attacker is a botnet, there maybe thousands of connections being attempted at the same time. The attacker doesn't terminate the connection properly because many servers will block the IP address after 3 failures but if the connection is just dropped then the IP remains unblocked and can try again.

It is more likely an attack maybe a brute force attack trying to guess usernames and passwords. The DLS is just an FTP server process running on a larger server. Each time a connection is attempted a new instance of the ftp daemon is started by the host. There is a limit to how many concurrent connections are allowed. The issue is often the attacker fails to properly close the attempted connection which means the instance of the FTP daemon stays open waiting for a second attempt at getting the username and or password correct, so the connections reach the limit and no one can connect. After a certain amount of time the host will kill the connection but if the attacker is a botnet, there maybe thousands of connections being attempted at the same time. The attacker doesn't terminate the connection properly because many servers will block the IP address after 3 failures but if the connection is just dropped then the IP remains unblocked and can try again.

That's interesting but doesn't help me resolve my problem. I've tried to follow the process to submit a ticket but it keeps redirecting me to the knowledgebase. It suggested using Content Manager to download assets but the same problem applies there.

Edit * Logged on today and it's downloading normally again.

Last edited:
That's interesting but doesn't help me resolve my problem. I've tried to follow the process to submit a ticket but it keeps redirecting me to the knowledgebase. It suggested using Content Manager to download assets but the same problem applies there.

Edit * Logged on today and it's downloading normally again.
I had the same thing for a little while yesterday. Like you, everything is fine today. There's a possibility there was something up with the internet, or perhaps one of the gerbils fell off the wheel.

Well, I believe that there are at least a dozen third party sites that try to mirror the DLS for the people using pirated copies of Trainz. It is likely as I described above that you are seeing this in action. One of the problems with the FTP protocol is that it allow simultaneous logins unless the admin blocks them. This explains the inflated download counts on some assets.

Back