Things about the AI (artificial intelligence) component that are not prototypical.

Since I much prefer to drive my engines myself and only use AI to occasionally move a train of wagons from one place to another while I'm busy with something else, so if the 'dumb dog pees on the carpet' my reaction is to shoot it dead and bury it. I can't be bothered with mucking around for hours second guessing what the robot drivers are going to do next.

I have "fired" more than one AI driver in my Trainz lifetime. Unfortunately after their termination, the labor board ruled in their favor as it was found out their errors were my doings. :)

I had one session setup where a driver kept going back and forth between stops, but looking at the schedule showed nothing out of the norm. I fired the driver and hired a new one and the new guy fell off the footplate as well and got the boot. After checking again, I found I had put down the same track mark in a row among a bunch of other track marks, which made seeing the redundant one almost impossible to find.

My method might seem too simplistic for most, but my 'little scratch in the dirt' steam tramways have small water tanks (1880 Water Tower <kuid2:44640:28004:3>) in various places beside the line and I instruct the AI drivers to drive to the closest one to where I want them to take a train of wagons. Once they arrive at that point I take care of the rest since I enjoy shunting (switching).

The thread is deteriorating into complains of AI and possible solutions. I don't want to be let out, so here is my basic one:

You couple some cars and issue a command for the consist to travel to an industry or trackmark. (near-by). But there are some turnouts between. So, the consist, once the order is given, travels in the other direction. Gets out of the yards, stops and then goes to the target. Well, most of the times.. If you dare to put a direction trackmark or a signal is red, the action of going out of the yards is blocked, and the consist will stop and stay there with an exclamation sign because it can't do the crazy thing. Way out of this? regain manual control and then do a resume schedule, and it will proceed properly.

Not bad, yes?

My method might seem too simplistic for most, but my 'little scratch in the dirt' steam tramways have small water tanks (1880 Water Tower <kuid2:44640:28004:3>) in various places beside the line and I instruct the AI drivers to drive to the closest one to where I want them to take a train of wagons. Once they arrive at that point I take care of the rest since I enjoy shunting (switching).

I do exactly the same thing!

It saves my sanity, or what little is left of it, for another day.

Back