The path rule.

OldGuy

I read so much about people having problems with "paths". Personally, I have spent far to as many hours trying the get paths, junctions and signals to "do as requested". I found problems no matter which way I looked or which "app" to use. The path rule is damaged and does not work correctly. It will not release and the signal option is a non event. Just causes errors. The interlocking towers, well, far too rigid and unforgiving.
So, I have worked out how to do make things happen without all of the hoo haa.
First is to (and this is not using the app) schedule my trains. Put the trains on a timetable as with real life. Each train has a "slot" and you keep the train to its slot. I use a 1 hour timing and use the app wait until MM but it can be 5, 10, 15, 20, 30, all variants of an hour.
The second is to use the path command. This is extremely flexible as a yard (and multiple yards) with multiple paths can be created. Absolute control. Always works. Dont use release or signal.
The third is trackmarks. Navigate (never Drive) via trackmark prior to yard and select path. On mainline yard entry and exits I do an "entry path" and a "reset path" to allow trains not using the yard to pass by without an hassle.
The fourth is to, as with real trains, if needed, and to add realism, have a signal in place to protect the path you create and stop other trains changing your path. Trainz will not "look" pass a red signal (or a trackmark) and grad a junction. This can be done using the set signal app. Once you are finished with the path, by reaching another trackmark, you can reset the path and set the signal back to automatic. All good.
I have not found a single app to do all of this.
As in real life, there is a scheduling of trains and events. In fact, most railways are proud of there scheduling. It works.
If you are having trouble letting your trains "be free", trains are supposed to be under control.
Hope this helps.

Back