The passing of Ben Dorsey on Saturday 24 March 2018

We don't often meet people like Ben and then before we know it, they are gone. But with the rich legacy he left in the form of thousands of shared assets, he will be with us for a long time. I hope there will be a way to share the unfinished assets with the community and also update the existing ones as needed to stay current. It would be a shame to let them slide for lack of an update.

Condolences to his family.

In memory of bendorsey, I've downloaded the last two pieces of standard gauge content and have taken a picture of it. Here we see a Davenport switcher testing out the scale at Hinton with a scale test car. Both can be found on the DLS:
Pullman_1792_1 <kuid2:210518:300712:1>
Scale_Test_Car_2 <kuid2:210518:300715:1>

My-Trainz-Screenshot-Image.jpg

@ MSGSapper, May I suggest you also send her the link to this topic?

oknotsen;

This morning I sent a copy of the newsletter with Ben's obituary in it to his family. I also, as you suggested, sent a link to this forum post where they can see the great outpouring of tributes and testimonials of all the Trainzers who were affected by Ben over the years. BTW at this point they appear to have agreed to make an effort to save his Trainz work and forward it to me. Assuming that happens, I will need to get with someone at N3V to work out the physical transfer and shipment details. At this point I am not sure who that would be. This material will consists of all his GMax project files for all of Ben's content - and that is a lot. Needless to say that vast library of projects is very irreplaceable.

It is worth noting that in all my dealings with Ben over the years his priorities were that people enjoy and have fun with his creations and that that they be free. Ben was almost always willing to share his meshes and project files when requested with anyone as long as he got credit for them as the original designer and creator and that anything produced from it be freeware.

Ideally that library of Gmax projects should be made openly available, if possible, to anyone in Trainz who wants to make use of it under the provisions that (a) Ben be credited as the original creator/designer and (b) that any new creations based on the original project code be freeware.

N3V would be allowed to use any of these projects at built-in content for any version of Trainz with no limitations other then that Ben be credited as the original designer/creator for any items they make use of, or use as a basis for something new in the way of a content item.

End note: I hope we can make this work for Ben, and all his hard work done for the Trainz hobby, and in a simple manner not involving lawyers. Losing all his irreplaceable work just doesn't bear thinking about. Let's make this a win-win for everyone involved in the Trainz hobby and in a way that honors Ben's memory and what he stood for in this hobby.

Bob

Last edited:
RIP BenDorsey. :( Did not know the guy personally but I have downloaded a number of his content for various routes that I have tried in TRS. Loosing a father\husband can be really stressful and having to deal with a lot of stuff you don't even get a chance to just "relax" and take your mind off the "chaos" that is happening atm.... :'(

Terrible news, thank you Bendorsey for your countless contributions to our community, we will be indebted to your ingenuity and involvement. May you rest and peace and condolences to your loved ones.

Extremely sad news. It was fun talking with him. He has been so generous of his time. We will miss "The trestle man" (as he would call himself) so much....:'( Codolences to the family and. ..to the whole Trainz Community.
Pierre

I've just logged in to read the sad news of Ben's passing. We corresponded many time via email and PM on projects. He was a true gentleman and he will truly be missed. Rest in peace, Ben.

Dave

Ben was a dear friend, who shared may stories with me through the years, from moving to Florida to Tennessee, to his other hobbies like looking at the stars through his big telescopes, to listening to classical music to drinking his hot herbal teas, to his family issues! It really brings a tear to my eye to read such a sad news--- I, myself, got back from open heart surgery, so I haven't talked to Ben for a few months, so I will missed those conversation with him -- However, he helped me a lot in creating bridges, animation doors, among other contents especially for my Marsz project -- He will be truly truly missed as a creator, and a net-friend!!!

Rest in peace my dear old friend of so many years, and God bless your soul now in Heaven ---I've kept all of your emails, and PM's through the years, in which I will refer back to, sir!!!

Ish --:'(

(I been sick this last past week; and had just got this news.) I am both saddened and shocked by the passing of this most learned, and important man (Ben); one of a select few of the grandest icons our community had ever beheld... and cancer!!! My God! Would not have thought. What a strong individual he was -both mentally and psychically! My sincerest condolences to his family and friends on his passing last Saturday, March 24, 2018!

Not one of us has ever ran a route without having come across his assets! Known primary for an "infinite" number of bridges and trestles, he had built a myriad of other assets as well; from structures to rolling stock! A most versatile and... prolific man indeed!

All we can say now Ben, may your trip on your most finest creation "Bridge into the Hereafter" be filled with joy and of a job well done; and eternity be as sweet!

[A special thank you goes out to you Bob (MSGSapper), for keeping all of us well informed on all news and developments... and (of course), ensuring Ben Dorsey's assets will continue to be enjoyed by all in the years to come! :) ]

My sympathies to all who knew this man. There's a number of names that always come to mind immediately when I think of Trainz contributors, and Ben Dorsey was one of them.

-- Russ

its not easy knowing someone of our community is dead while looking at their past posts, he has contributed more to this community than I ever will, Rest Easy.

This news saddens me to the core . he will be missed . Ben never denied a request for a bridge , car or coal wharf . Peace my friend .

Matt

For those who did not visit the Funeral Home Guestbook here is information they posted on Ben's life on their web page:

Life Legacy

Benjamin “Ben” Richard Dorsey, age 74, a resident of Lewisburg (TN), passed away Saturday, March 24, 2018 at Maury Regional Medical Center.

Ben was born on August 9, 1943 in Camp Lejeune, North Carolina at the United States Naval Hospital and was the son of the late Benjamin Dorsey and the late Dorothy Bowers Dorsey. He graduated from St. Petersburg High School and served in the United States Coast Guard for ten years. Ben was retired as a test technician from Pratt & Whitney Technology in Palm Beach, Florida. In his younger days, he served as an Eagle Scout and had just recently received his fifty year pin from being a Mason. His favorite hobby was building bridges and trains with high end graphics on his computer. He also enjoyed riding motorcycles.

He is survived by his loving wife, Johnna Miller Dorsey of Lewisburg; daughter: Kimbra (Paul) Davidson of Culleoka; sons: Kristopher Dorsey of FL, Kevin (Angela) Dorsey of FL, and Kerry (Sonya) Dorsey of SC; grandchildren: Branden Davidson, Christina Davidson, Kyle Dorsey, Kaitlin Dorsey, Kacey Dorsey, Kollin Dorsey, and Korbin Dorsey.

Bob

Dear Ben, You and i spent a great deal of time in this past year and a half working on your last big project, the Uintah Railway .During that time you made no fewer than 267 items for me and updated a number of older rolling stock items.
You put up with all my mistakes and strange requests with good humor and , in the last months we worked together, despite your failing health, you still soldiered on. I think we got to know one another pretty well during that time and we discussed many things other than trains.
For certain, even though in many ways we had different backgrounds , we became friends.

Although we both knew that, given the extent of the spread of your illness, it was unlikely you would survive, you gave it your best shot and were stoic in the face of a lot of discomfort and suffering.
The only thing i can hope to do now is to complete the project and dedicate it to you.

Goodbye trestle man, you were one in a million. I'll really miss you . :-(

With the permission of the family, it is my sad duty to inform the Trainz world that Ben Dorsey, a contributor of many thousands of high quality Trainz freeware content, passed away due to cancer on Saturday March 24, 2018.

I have collaborated with Ben on and off in the Trainz hobby for a number of years and have talked with him on the phone a number of times while working projects with him that usually ended up in my routes.

This is truly a great loss to the Trainz community and I am much saddened by his passing!

FYI I am currently working with his family to see if all his work can be sent to me so that it is not lost to the Trainz hobby.

For details on his funeral and to sign the guest book see this link:

http://www.memorialsolutions.com/sitemaker/memsol.cgi?user_id=2086619

Bob

Hello Trainzers,

Thanks to Ben, several bridges (for Trainz) in my environment ( Oostende, Zeebrugge ( Belgium ) were created. During our emails, we talked about motorcycles, computers, sport, yes even about hurricanes.

Rest in peace, Ben.

Kind regards

Kurt :wave:

Thank you Bob.
Via the link - I have also signed the guest book.

Back