The Florida High Speed Rail Authority.... Dead or Alive???

The more stations you have the more revenue you generate but that slows the train down making all those stops. Result = not so HS rail, lol.

Don't get me wrong guys I'm not completely against the idea, I just don't think it will ever be worth the cost to taxpayers.

Ben

The more stations you have the more overhead you have, but not necessarily more passengers. Passengers aren't attracted by stations, they're attracted by fast, comfortable and convenient service.
The TGV and Shinkansen attract a high passenger custom and profitable operation because the speed makes them practical for long distance travel that would otherwise require airlines.
Yes, the system would be expensive to build, and it would be an official boondoggle because the overwhelming majority of the revenues would come from the increased tax revenues from the businesses that build up in the areas around the stations (which the train gets no credit for, of course). But the corridor along the Florida coast could easily support a heavy high speed presence.
If we just clean up the FEC tracks a little and run low speed intercity trains in the slots between freight trains, it'll end up a money losing heritage line, like Amtrack. No one will have the time to wait for the few daily trains to make their way along the track.
Personally, I also support a private company building it. Forget tax dollars. This can be very profitable, so people who know how to run a business should be in charge of it.

:cool: Claude

Hi Claude:

I agree a HS line up the east coast would be better then FEC passenger service but where would you put it? When I-95 was being built it was an utter headache getting right-of-way where Johnathon Dickensen State park is (between Jupiter and Hobe Sound). They finally looped way out west crossing the Florida Tpk twice to keep the tree huggers happy. You know they are going to go bonkers over the environmental impact of a HS rail system, lol.

Ben

Two options would be to lay a double track main along the NEC right-of-way. The other would be to hug the freeway. Both are already active transit corridors. If anybody complains we'll do what the politicians do and ask why they love global warming so much. Call them enviro-terrorists. While they're busy defending their record, we'll sneak out in the midle of the night and lay the track.:D

:cool: Claude

Im probably about to tick a bunch of ppl off right now, but in my opinion Amtrak should be slowly phased out as the supreme passenger line in the US. Individual companies should start creating passenger consists again. Amtrak should still be around but it shouldnt be the only one. Maybe Amtrak doing the long distance stuff and the individual companies providing more local services.

just my opinion and yes, i realize that some of the railroads still do this but not as much as they used to. I would love to see a new BNSF Superchief (Super Zepher? Zepher Chief?) spring up.

Well that has been borught up numerous times. You see amtrak is good as an entire system because it's all one company no matter what train you got to. Back before amtrak other companies would not schedule trains out of convience to others and there was large layovers. The NEC form DC to NYC has always been a route that is considered to be sold to a private company, even though it would take amtrak's best route away from them. There was also talk of a national equipment pool whrer all railroads would share and get new equipment amtrak and commuters like metra. We do have state sponsored commuter services doing local stuff and those seem to do well. Railroads will have to get a tad bit more popular to resume being private. Amtrak has alot of low times where only a government company can get through because, they can't shut down.

All in all, that won't happen anytime soon, not to crush any dreams because, I'm a dreamer too. That would be cool to see some BNSF passenger trains. I wonder what a BNSF P42DC would look like (trusting Amtrak would distribute all of their equipment whne they end, if they end)

Davis

Davis

Back