Thank You to Everyone for their Kind Words Lately.

illinoiscentral

SARM Volunteer
November 2nd, 2009 10:41 PM CST, Champaign Illinois.

Community,

As most of you know, my family has been slowly losing my Grandfather, Gary M. Wright.
He passed away Friday morning. He was 63.
He battled cancer since April and is home with the good Lord today.

Before I give a brief summuary of him, I would like to thank all of my friends and other people on this forum for their kind words during this painful time.
I have recieved PM's from several people over the last two months, Thank You.

Gary was a detective with the Champaign Illinois police department for over 25 years and was probably the best the Champaign PD has or ever will see.
He retired in the 1990's and got a job with Rogard's Office Supplies delivering office tools and supplies.
Every one of his customers and co-workers respected him, many loved him.
My Grandfather was a unique person, no one like him in the world, shy, funny, loving and eccentric.
He was a regular fixture at the Esquire Lounge in downtown Champaign.
Tomorrow after the service, his Barstool will be dedicated and a plaque applied at the Esquire.
Gary had a unique affect on people, he was honest and fair.
During the 1970's he worked in several African-American communities in northern Champaign, although most officers tended to treat the people unfairly, my grandfather treated them equally and fairly, like a decent person would.
He became extremely respected in a community where seldom an officer was respected.

He was also a member of the First United Methodist Church of Champaign.

His railroad Connections are vivid, he worked for "Pony Express" at the time affiliated with the Illinois Central Railroad, ten he later raised pigons, and put them on the City of New Orleans from Champaign to New Orleans, and they always flew back, until my grandma, Teresa, got rid of them!:hehe:

And my personal quote about him "...my Grandfather didn't take in stray dogs...he took in stray people."
So much truth there, he tended to help the homeless people, his current John, has lived with him since April and helped him around the house.
He provided him with a home and respect.

I was really touched by the visitation today, several Champaign police officers were there, all of which were paying their respects.
And the visitation was exactly how Grandpa would have had it, no crying, just swapping stories, catching up on family, and getting to know more family members.
No boo-whoos, just a good time...leave it to him to have the most fun "Funeral" service in a long time!:hehe:

I thank everyone for their prayers and kind words.
Please keep the following in prayer,
His wife Susan Wright, sisters Kathy, Sue.
His children Kelly, Amy, Mandy, and Tom.

Thank You once again, all of you, and I hope that you are able to see the wonderful man that he was in my brief story.

Woody
10:57 PM, Champaign Illinois.

Woody,
I am sorry to here that Grandfather Passed away.
Your family will always have good memories of him.

Kenny

Sorry to here about your loss,

We have all lost sometime in our lives, and some more than others, but as long as we all know they move on to a better place, and that they are safe were no harm can come to them anymore. And that we will all meet up again with our loved ones soon. Just remember they will be always around, eventhough you can't see them, they are there with you, to help make life a little easier for you.

Hope this helps through these very difficult times.

From Joe Airtime, who is also visiting his very sick father in hospital...

Hi Woody,

Sad to hear of your loss, but it's great to see you're all celebrating his life and his contribution to those less fortunate than himself. Some of us do go early and 63 is definitely early for someone who's already 67. I'm really glad you can keep your chin up and remember all the things Gramps passed on to you. All those things will make you a bigger and better person as you face the future.

Best wishes to you, all your family and everyone touched by his passing.

John

ic,

Sorry to here that your grandfather has passed on !
Keep the fond memories you have of him close to you . I kept a journal of my father's deeds and fond sayings and refer to it often , they are things I do not want to forget as the years pass .
I suggest you do the same , when you are older there are things you will want to tell your children about your grandfather , you do not want to forget any of them .
Time heals but we do not want to lose these memories !

Your friend --- ,dave

November 3rd 2009, 9:43 am Champaign Illinois

Thank You All for your Kind Words.

We will be holding the main service today, and then I will be heading back to Tennessee tonight.
After the service, we will be dedicating the barstool at the Esquire Lounge.
Today has been better than I thought, I've met some of my family I never knew I had, they are great people, this is just the way my Grandpa would have wanted his passing.
He never wanted people whinning over him, that is just how he was.

Once again, thank you and may God bless you all!

Woody:wave:

Gram-Pa

I feel for you too! I mostly did not know my grand parents, on my dad's side I only remember one visit with his mother when i was very small. The only real memories I will ever have to hold are of my mother's father called "Doc" His name was acually Sidney (SR Ward). He went from before the automobile to see man on the moon! Thats alot of changes! He worked many years driving freight wagon trains down a route most other people feared just on a horse!
Men of our grandparents time had to be great men and we should always remember them that way!

Woody, my prayers go out to you and your family during this time of loss. Always remember that because he served the Lord he will be in a much better place.

Tony

I am sorry to hear about your Loss, He sounded like a great man, He will live on in your heart for as long as you walk this earth.

Woody,
very sorry to hear about your grandfather, he will be sorely missed. I know this from the passing of my dear Sara a short while ago. I remember the kind words you had for me at the time and wish you the same thoughts.

Mike

Woody,

I, too, am sorry to hear of the loss of your grandfather.

May angels lead Gary into paradise; upon his arrival, may the martyrs receive him and lead him to the holy city of Jerusalem. May the ranks of angels receive him, and with the poor man, Lazarus, may he have eternal rest.

ns

Woody,

Please accept our heartfelt condolences. We wish you and your family the Lord's comfort in your time of grief.

Todd

Please accept my condolences too Woody, I'm sure he was a great man.

Robby :wave:

Thank You.

Yesterday we had the dedication at the Esquire and it went exactly how he would have wanted it, everyone swapped stories about him, laughed and had a great time.

His barstool says,
Gary Wright
"Leonard the egg man"
Leonard the egg man was his codename during a drug bust years ago, when he knocked at the door, they asked who was there, he said, "Leonard the eggman."

I'll share a funny story about him,
Him and his bartender Tracy made a bet after he had a little to much to drink one night, this bet was themed after an upcoming political election, my grandfather a die-hard Republican and Tracy a devoted Democrat!
She can't remember her side of the bet, but his was if his politician lost, he must sing 'I am Woman, hear me Roar" in front of the nightly crowd...he lost.
And true to his word, he sang it and belted it out too!

Once Again, thanks everyone for their support it has been much appreciated.

I'll end this thread with one final word,

"I love you Grandpa, and may God bless you in your eternal life. Amen"

Gary Micheal Wright
Born March 25th 1946, Died October 30th 2009
Forever Loved, Forever Remembered

*Moderators may close thread.

Oh my god man, that's terrible.. :( I'm so sorry for your loss, it sounded like you and your family were really close to him. Unfortunately it happens to everyone but it's a thing nobody should have to deal with.

My deepest condolences,
cam

Back