Surveyor 2.0 Questions and Troubleshooting

By moving the object do you mean changing the left box from session to route layer? If not please explain
I changed the left box to route layer but still not working
this is only happening in Building Mode and not in Trackside Mode
I have tried repairing database.and have been getting faulty items coming up
Have downloaded some routes from Download Station but I had the problem before I downloaded anything
this is getting annoying as im trying to build a new route and can't orientate items as needed

Your terminology is a bit confusing.

By "Building Mode" do you mean in Surveyor? Surveyor Mode is the correct term for where you can add, remove, move and edit assets.

By "Trackside Mode" do you mean in Driver? Driver Mode is the correct term for where the trains are able to move, by themselves or under user control, to destinations to pick up and drop of products and passengers.

In Surveyor 1.0 to move (rotate) an object in Surveyor you need to select and apply the correct tool. These tools are located on the right of the screen in different tabs according to the type of object. Scenery objects (trees, houses, Multiple Industry New, fence splines, road splines, etc) are all added, deleted and moved (including rotated) by opening the Object Tools tab (or press the F3 key). Layers are created, deleted, locked/unlocked, hidden/revealed and moved using the Layers Tool tab (or press the F6 key). Rolling stock objects are all added, deleted, moved and configured using the Train Tools tab (or press the F7 key). In each case after opening the tab you must select the correct tool, e.g. the Rotate Tool in the Object Tools, then select the object that will have that tool action applied.

Have you tried rotating other objects such as buildings? Do they rotate but the Multiple Industry New object does not rotate?

I would check to see if the object that you think is a Multiple Industry New object actually is that. Select the "?" tool in the Object Tools and click on the Multiple Industry New object to open its properties window. What does it show?

Your terminology is a bit confusing.

By "Building Mode" do you mean in Surveyor? Surveyor Mode is the correct term for where you can add, remove, move and edit assets.

By "Trackside Mode" do you mean in Driver? Driver Mode is the correct term for where the trains are able to move, by themselves or under user control, to destinations to pick up and drop of products and passengers.

In Surveyor 1.0 to move (rotate) an object in Surveyor you need to select and apply the correct tool. These tools are located on the right of the screen in different tabs according to the type of object. Scenery objects (trees, houses, Multiple Industry New, fence splines, road splines, etc) are all added, deleted and moved (including rotated) by opening the Object Tools tab (or press the F3 key). Layers are created, deleted, locked/unlocked, hidden/revealed and moved using the Layers Tool tab (or press the F6 key). Rolling stock objects are all added, deleted, moved and configured using the Train Tools tab (or press the F7 key). In each case after opening the tab you must select the correct tool, e.g. the Rotate Tool in the Object Tools, then select the object that will have that tool action applied.

Have you tried rotating other objects such as buildings? Do they rotate but the Multiple Industry New object does not rotate?

I would check to see if the object that you think is a Multiple Industry New object actually is that. Select the "?" tool in the Object Tools and click on the Multiple Industry New object to open its properties window. What does it show?
I am in Surveyor Mode
By Trackside Mode I mean Signals and things that go by the track not Driver
Nothing in Object Mode rotates
Everything in Trackside Mode in Surveyor is fine
Have tested the Multiple Industry Tracks and they are showing what they should be
The New Tracks show Queues Tracks Processes Products and
The others I think there are 6 all told of different lengths show various goods and if you want to load or unload
I know how to rotate an asset in most cases press R
This happened before downloading anything from download station

The fact that no scenery objects rotate when the Object Tools tab is open is puzzling unless your layers are locked.

You haven't mentioned what the Layer Tools tab shows. Do all, or any, of the layers have the locked padlock icon next to their name?

Also what is your Trainz Build Number? This number is shown on the bottom left of the Trainz Launcher Window.

I can change the box on left from session to route layer
is this all that is needed/
I can not rotate objects in object mode regardless of which layer it is in

I can change the box on left from session to route layer
is this all that is needed/
I can not rotate objects in object mode regardless of which layer it is in
Assuming that the route-layer is not locked. You still have not described the state of the layers in the Layer Tools.

the layer was session and I changed it to route in the drop down menu
Is this all that needs to be done?

the layer was session and I changed it to route in the drop down menu
Is this all that needs to be done?
1. Open the Layer Tools
2. Check that all layers are unlocked. If a layer has a closed padlock (meaning locked), click on the padlock icon to open (unlock) it.

Layer-Tools.png

Last edited:
layers are open still no luck
By that I take it you mean the layer padlocks are all open and therefore the layers are unlocked.

Try the following.
  1. Select (highlight) the route-layer in the Layer Tools. This sets the route-layer as the active layer where any new objects will be placed.
  2. Open the Object Tools
  3. Select a house object, any house object
  4. Place it in the route
  5. Select the Rotate Tool
  6. Click on the house and attempt to rotate it.
The result???

By that I take it you mean the layer padlocks are all open and therefore the layers are unlocked.

Try the following.
  1. Select (highlight) the route-layer in the Layer Tools. This sets the route-layer as the active layer where any new objects will be placed.
  2. Open the Object Tools
  3. Select a house object, any house object
  4. Place it in the route
  5. Select the Rotate Tool
  6. Click on the house and attempt to rotate it.
The result???
Have already tried it
It is a problem with Object Mode Only
I can rotate in Track Mode problem
If you save a session as session layer
will it change the initial route or just that session?

Just trying to eliminate all possibilities here.

In what you call "Track Mode" (I call "Track Tools") objects such as signals and switches are rotated by a simple click with the Rotate Tool. In the Object Tools ("Object Mode") they have to be rotated by a left click and drag with the Rotate Tool so that the rotation angle can be set. If this is not working as described on any object using the Object Tools and the active layer is not locked then something is wrong with your install of Trainz. I have no other explanation.

When you save just the Session the contents of the Session Layers, not the Route Layers, is saved along with other settings such as Session Rules, Environmental controls and product levels. Nothing in the Route is saved.

Saving will give you several choices depending on what you have edited.
  • Save New Route and Session - everything is saved in both the Route and the Session, even if you have not edited anything in the Session, as a NEW Route and a NEW Session. The original Route and Session, if they were previously saved, will not be changed, deleted or replaced.
  • Overwrite Existing Route and do not save Session - only the Route data (route layers, ground heights, ground textures, effect layers, environmental controls) are saved replacing the previously saved Route. Any changes that you may have made to the Session will not be saved but you will be prompted to save those changes before you exit Trainz. The previously saved Session is not changed, deleted or replaced.
  • Overwrite Existing Route and Create New Session - the Route data (route layers, ground heights, ground textures, effect layers, environmental controls) are saved replacing the previously saved Route. The Session data (session-layers, rules, product levels, environmental controls) are saved as a new Session. The previously saved Session is not changed, deleted or replaced.
If you have only edited the Session data (session-layers, rules, product levels, environmental controls) or are exiting Trainz after editing but not saving the Session (option 2 above) then the choices will be
  • Overwrite Existing Session - only the changes to the Session will be saved replacing the previously saved Session.
  • Create New Session - only the changes to the Session will be saved as a new Session. The previously saved Session is not changed, deleted or replaced.
Note that the Environmental controls (date, weather, lighting, etc) are saved in both the Route and the Session. This allows you to set these controls to different values in different sessions as well as having them apply to all sessions through the route.

Last edited:
Iam having a issue on my main route with splines. Using Surveyor 2.0 or Classic, if I place down a spline I can move the point but the spline doesnt update or move with the point. In classic I move the white circle around but nothing changes. If I start a new route it works fine. The only way to update the spline position is to guessimate where the spline is laid and click it and it updates its new position. Any fix for this?

Back