Surveyor 2.0 Questions and Troubleshooting

hert

Screenshot Creator
I cant seem to figure this out, read the instructions but I am still confused. Is there a way to rotate the area being pasted by the marquee tool? I select the area by dragging the marquee tool and then click "paste to selected area". Though this pastes the assets in the exact same position. Is there a way of rotating the selection when pasting like in classic surveyor?

You can rotate the whole selection including ground, or just the assets.

The trick is to keep ONLY the objects selected is to switch to the Fine Adjustment tool (which deselects the marquee but maintains the object selection) then you can rotate using the gizmo.

Thanks for the info Tony. Really liking Surveyor 2.0. Is there a shortcut or will a shortcut be added to enter the "edit properties"?

Great to hear. There will be lots of improvements over time - no immediate updates planned right now.

hi not sure where to post this but please redirect me if not the right place
I have a problem with the Rotate Tool not working in building mode in Surveyor
I have Trainz 2022 Platinum
Have tried running repair database extended and it corrected the problem for a
while but now it is back TIA

hi not sure where to post this but please redirect me if not the right place
I have a problem with the Rotate Tool not working in building mode in Surveyor
I have Trainz 2022 Platinum
Have tried running repair database extended and it corrected the problem for a
while but now it is back TIA
What kind of problem are you having?

the rotate tool will not work when in building mode
I can not rotate any object when building something

the rotate tool will not work when in building mode
I can not rotate any object when building something
There isn't a "Rotate Tool" in Surveyor 2.0.

There are two ways of rotating an individual object in S20. Firstly select the object so it is highlighted
then either:-
  1. Use the Fine Adjustment Tool and left click and drag on the BLUE circular Anchor Line - see the Trainz Wiki Page at S20 Tools Fine Adjustment: Move a Mesh Object, or
  2. Use the Free Move Tool, open the Info Palette, open the Rot: (Rotation) controls and adjust the Y: (Yaw) value - see the Trainz Wiki Page at S20 Palettes Rotation Info and Controls
The above works for both single and multiple objects but they must be in an unlocked layer.

have looked at the wiki but it doesn't say how to stop the problem
I was trying to rotate Multiple Industry New but it will not rotate for this
or anything else in Building Mode
Rotate Tool is working for all other modes

I was trying to rotate Multiple Industry New but it will not rotate for this
or anything else in Building Mode
Rotate Tool is working for all other modes
I am having a problem understanding your terminology. By "Building Mode" I am assuming that you mean Surveyor. Since you have TRS22PE then you have two different versions of Surveyor - Surveyor 1.0 (also called Surveyor Classic) and the newer Surveyor 2.0. You can rotate the asset Multiple Industry New in both versions.

Multiple Industry New is actually a scenery asset despite the fact that it looks like a section of track.

In Surveyor 1.0 you have to :-
  1. open the Object Tools (or press the F3 key)
  2. select the Rotate Object tool (the circular arrow button or press the R key)
  3. hold down the left mouse button on the object to be rotated and move the mouse left or right

If the Multiple Industry New object is attached to track then it will drag the track around with it as it is rotated.

If the Multiple Industry New object still does not move then I would suspect that it is in a locked layer.

To identify the layer the asset is in:-
  1. while still in the Objects Tool select the Properties Tool (the "?" or press the P key)
  2. click on the Multiple Industries New asset - a dialogue window will appear showing the asset layer (the box labelled "Layer"). Once you have noted the name of the layer, close the dialogue window

To check if that layer is locked or not:-
  1. open the Layers Tool (or press the F6 key)
  2. find the named layer in the list of layers and check its padlock icon
    • an open padlock means the layer is unlocked - if it is unlocked then I have no idea why it cannot be rotated
    • a closed padlock means that the layer is locked - left click on the closed padlock icon to unlock it and unlock the layer
All of the above steps are easier and quicker in Surveyor 2.0 but it does take some time to learn.

Go back to the Objects Tool and try rotating the asset again.

Last edited:
ok have tried this but no good
am working with Surveyor 1 Trianz Platinum 2022
the Layer Box is session layer and the Bound Layer is none
tried changing this no padlock is visible locked or unlocked
I did a data base rebuild and it worked for a while
then went back to not working
Rotate Tool is working fine in trackside mode
Just a thought
would there be a problem with adding an asset to a session but not to the Route associated with the session?

Just a thought
would there be a problem with adding an asset to a session but not to the Route associated with the session?
That is the biggest problem users have with routes and sessions - accidentally placing scenery in a session layer instead of a route layer. This is a particular problem in Surveyor Classic where there is no indication of which layer is the current selected layer, commonly called the "active layer" although it is never named this in the Layers Tool but this layer is where a new asset will be placed when added.

An industry interactive scenery asset such as a Multiple Industries New should be in a route layer not a session layer and, preferably, in the "route-layer" (in my opinion).

My first step would be to move that asset to the "route-layer". To do this in Surveyor Classic:-
  1. open the Objects Tool (F3) and select the Properties Tool (the "?" or press the P key)
  2. click on the Multiple Industries New asset
  3. in the dialogue window click on the box labelled "Layer" which, in your case, will show session-layer
  4. from the drop down list select route-layer (or your preferred layer in the Route Layer Group)
  5. click the Tick icon to accept the change and close the dialogue window.
In Surveyor Classic the padlock icons are shown in the Layers Tool (F6) - check that you have opened this tool.

Last edited:
That is the biggest problem users have with routes and sessions - accidentally placing scenery in a session layer instead of a route layer. This is a particular problem in Surveyor Classic where there is no indication of which layer is the current selected layer, commonly called the "active layer" although it is never named this in the Layers Tool but this layer is where a new asset will be placed when added.

An industry interactive scenery asset such as a Multiple Industries New should be in a route layer not a session layer and, preferably, in the "route-layer" (in my opinion).

My first step would be to move that asset to the "route-layer". To do this in Surveyor Classic:-
  1. open the Objects Tool (F3) and select the Properties Tool (the "?" or press the P key)
  3. in the dialogue window click on the box labelled "Layer" which, in your case, will show session-layer
  4. from the drop down list select route-layer (or your preferred layer in the Route Layer Group)
In Surveyor Classic the padlock icons are shown in the Layers Tool (F6) - check that you have opened this tool.
ok have opened the window and changed left box to route layer.
what should the second box Bound Layer on right at top be?
it is on none with the choices being Clutter 1 Turf Test Locked or. Session Layer
Have tried working in Surveyor 2 but had trouble finding out how to do what I wanted

The Bound Box is normally left empty. It is used in route development to hide or lock an object by temporarily assigning it to a locked or hidden layer.

See the Trainz Wiki Page at How to Use Layers for the details.

Surveyor 2.0 is a long and steep learning curve but it is a much more efficient and powerful tool than Surveyor Classic. There is a very long and detailed Trainz Wiki Page on the topic at How to Use the Surveyor 2.0 Tools and another not quite so long on How to Use the Surveyor 2.0 Palettes (palettes have no real equivalent in Surveyor Classic).

Here is a video made by N3V that shows how Layers can be used in Trainz from TANE upwards. Using rules to show or hide a layer is about have way through the video and using bounding to modify DLC routes during your custom session is about 3/4 of the way through the video.

Have tried this but still not working
I tried using Surveyor 2 and can rotate but is more difficult to work with generally
any other ideas would be helpful for Surveyor 1 Trainz Platinum 2022 thanks

Have tried this but still not working
So you are unable to move the object from the session-layer to the route-layer? Or you are unable to rotate the object in Surveyor 1 after it had been moved to the route-layer?

Back